Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This weeks anoyance  (Read 1503 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
This weeks anoyance
« on: March 11, 2024, 05:30:34 pm »

Screwfix - 10 year Warranty !

Replaced the Kitchen mixer taps a couple years back, start dripping now.

Got in touch with Screwfix because it comes with, "10 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee (T&Cs Apply)"

Dripping or leaking taps are NOT covered as 'that is normal wear and tear.'......    >>:-(

https://www.screwfix.com/p/isar-deck-mounted-dual-lever-bridge-mixer-kitchen-tap-chrome/7390t 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: This weeks anoyance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 06:34:54 pm »

It's your fault Martin, you keep turning them on and off....

You may be able to change the ceramic discs cheaply.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 07:19:46 pm »

Yes i can Colin, so I asked 'if they would replace those?'

"No."

'Can you give me the right part no. then ( there are seven types)?'

"No. This is a help desk, we are no trade persons!"

.... I kid you not!  ....  {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 07:30:30 pm »

I sympathise Martin,

I concluded a while ago that it was best to stick to major brands like Bristan or Mira as the spare bits are easier to source and usually of higher quality.

I hate plumbing works  - it always leaks afterwards when I do it. Fortunately we now have a local firm who are responsive and reasonably priced so I leave it up to them.

Age has its compensations.

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 10:58:21 pm »

I hate plumbing, because you install a new fixture, and think, I'll just use the old lines.
However, the old lines don't match the new fittings, so ... I'll just use the new lines included...
But the new lines don't match the old fittings, so you head to the hardware store for a new set of lines.
Then you find out that the store only has one line that matches the fittings on either end, and you have
to head to another store that doesn't have any lines to match your fittings, and you end up driving
across town in traffic, near closing time, to find one more matching line for your mis-matched fittings.

Could anything be worse?  %)
Yes, the old valve under the sink could start leaking after fitting the new lines.  >>:-(

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 10:01:36 am »

I completely agree but fortunately there is an independent plumbing shop near me that has boxes of different connectors so they can usually provide a solution. I had this issue with a friends yacht with leaking taps and as you say the new connectors are completely different so you cant connect them to the existing pipework but the shop was able to find a solution by mixing and matching connectors.  :-)

One of the issues is that a lot of plumbing is imperial and everything you can buy today is metric so to make a cross connection is an issue but at least the plumbing business does make adaptors so it is possible whereas other sectors don't.

In my youth I used to call it the "master cylinder syndrome". You start off replacing a leaking rear slave cylinder and the thread was damaged, so this led to replacing the flexible pipe which in turn damaged the thread at the other end and so you end up having to replace all the pipes back to the master cylinder. A job that should only take an hour and a half takes all day! And of course having disabled your car you are on foot, unless you have a friend to get you to the parts shop!!  >:-o

Cheers

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 08:34:53 pm »

OK, on holiday for a few days, time to fix this tap.

CAN NOT find the right size replacement Ceramic cartridge anywhere!

2nd, Cold cartridge point-blank refuses to budge.  >>:-(

.... New taps it is then, NOT Screwfix brand ever again!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:01:13 pm »

Yes Martin, no standardisation on those cartridges. Been there, discovered that. Cheaper in the long term to stick to mainstream manufacturers such as Bristan. Likewise with shower heads.The MIRA ones give a far greater flow but you do need to use the slightly wider bore connection hoses. Makes a huge difference.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 10:45:33 am »

Just had to replace washing machine isolation taps, the ones that seize up if you don't turn them off and on at regular intervals, plastic lever quarter turn c - rap. Slight flood doing this, checked with water company cos pressure seemed a bit high. Informed there is a minimum they have to supply but NO maximum. Ours is 9 Bar  (132psi)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 04:28:47 pm »

Yes i can Colin, so I asked 'if they would replace those?'

"No."

'Can you give me the right part no. then ( there are seven types)?'

"No. This is a help desk, we are no trade persons!"

.... I kid you not!  ....  {:-{ 

Why do think they are called SCREWFIX

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 05:14:52 pm »

If you know exactly want you want Screwfix can be very good. If I can find what I want on their website it will tell me whether it is stock at my local branch and if I order it then I get a text within less than an hour confirming it's ready for collection.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 05:22:38 pm »

Good or maybe bad News, screwfix have just opened up here in Dieppe, although they won’t accept my English screwfix trade card………grrr have to open a new account
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 06:27:29 pm »

I thought you all relied on Bricolage over there Phil. During our previous regular visits I always liked to look around the French stores as you could sometimes find useful odds and ends which I've not seen in the UK.

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 04:20:21 pm »

Reminds me of when I had some plumbing done for me, the tap in the downstairs cloakroom, lost its chrome plating(it was not cheap) a Tavistock made tap with supposed ten year guarantee. Spoke to my plumber who fitted it. He informed me that Tavistock will not take returns from suppliers only the end user and then you had to have a receipt for it. Plumber had none as he orders from the retailer and pays monthly bill, so I had to bite the bullet went round to B&Q and buy another tap which turns out to be better quality at a cheaper price.

Damien Mac

• apparently its grim up north
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Me I'm Mac
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 11:33:28 am »

My son has just had a similar issue at Aldi.   He purchased an angle grinder (workzone) it lasted all of 3 days so we travelled back to the Aldi branch to either exchange or refund as these have warranty for 5 years .So should have been a simple return or replace after such a short period :-)) ! Nope after trying to return it and not having a receipt (lost it a will not accept as paid in cash) turned down blank so asked to see shop manager just to discuss the issue ! Nope no good he explained we could have bought it anywhere ?  :o  We nicely pointed out that Aldi tools are Workzone and that it was only a few days old.. Also said if we returned it under a year later it would be still in warranty and may not have kept a receipt that long... he just smiled and walked away..  <*< Don't bother trying.. no refund or replacement... warranty not worth a German sausage

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 12:46:57 pm »

Screwfix may be acceptable for new purchase but useless for spares. Replacement cordless drill (originally S/F) was due to cost next door neighbour more than £90, replacement motor from China (EXACTLY same motor) £13. Saved going to the tip.

Regards  Ian.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 03:03:38 pm »

Damien.......unfortunately I can see the Shop Managers stance  <*< , so I ensure to scan these electronic data receipts, as the ink fades if exposed to continuous sunlight .......naturally need to print a copy should POP be required

I purchased an OZITO 100 mm sander from Bunnings a month agp.........used it twice, took a thumb from one hand, and a finger from the other to engage the power switch %) ...returned it to Bunnings....the helpful Power Tool salesperson ....oh..."they are all like that, but have a 5 year replacement warranty"

So I plan to use it [with difficulty] for a year or so, then wander down to Bunnings to see if the latest version has a revised switch mechanism, if it has, I will present the sander + receipt & ask for a warranty replacement

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 04:35:02 pm »

Never had trouble with Amazon over several returns. Then   about 4year back bought a Bosch strimmer never opened it till a year later. Though the box never had a mark on it the shaft had a dent in it so could not  connect the other half. I rang them expecting the Third Degree as to why so long nope, Send it back I had a replacement the same week.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 05:56:36 pm »

Recently filled out the usual returns page on Amazon and instead of having to choose how to return the item, the new page simply said " A full refund has been made to your account, please do not return the item."     Checked the account and there was a £28 refund !
Managed to sort out the problem and now have a free set of wood chisels.

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 03:47:12 pm »

I thought you all relied on Bricolage over there Phil. During our previous regular visits I always liked to look around the French stores as you could sometimes find useful odds and ends which I've not seen in the UK.

Colin

There used to be old quincailleries which had some amazing stuff, but the big Bricos have taken over the market. Castorama is owned by Kingfisher and there is a lot of poor quality stuff from you know where. I was looking for small brass bolts the other day in a big Castorama and there was nothing.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 07:49:57 pm »

In a previous life (about 10 years ago) I owned a 21foot powerboat and had a suitable tandem axle boat trailer from SBS Trailers.  A wheel bearing failed, I was less than happy as they were fully sealed, no maintenance required (or possible).  A quick warranty call to SBS went along the lines of '...ah, yes they're the Alco hubs, did you put the axle in the water..?  Answer yes, to launch the boat...  Well there's your cause, they're not designed to be submerged and if you do, that voids the warranty...'   <*<

David.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 10:37:10 pm »

Hey! Guess what?...

I've annoyed Screwfix so much, they told me to take the Kitchen taps back for a replacement.
 I when to a branch today and negotiated a full refund! - Result!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2024, 11:11:58 am »

Just bought some 'Loafers' from a rolling advert on MSN page on t'internet. Have purchased some from 'Cotton Traders' from same type of roll over with no problems. Wasn't until the last click, I found they were to be dispatched from Shenzen.  Arrived to find label embroidered on them, 'Fashion', not as shown in original advert, 'Auguscare'. Must admit, they are comfortable, BUT the price charged was £25 more than same shoe offered on t'internet with same label and from one trader offering £38 cheaper. Latest advert from 'Lynmcare', EXACTLY the same photo. Buyer beware. Rip off price, £39.99 PLUS £3.99 postage.

Regards  Ian.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2024, 09:51:09 pm »

I recently made the mistake of signing up to Microsoft One Drive for the Cloud storage. Big mistake, you don't know where your files are anymore and they are out of your control. I want mine on my home PC and take responsibility for making my own backups which I can keep locally in safe locations. I managed to get all my data back eventually. Once bitten, twice shy.

Backup media in the form of SSDs is reasonably priced and an external drive can be kept off site in case the house burns down.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2024, 10:17:09 pm »

Same Colin!
I do use Google & OneDrive but Always keep a local copy.... usually two or three! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.