Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inline Wago Connectors  (Read 827 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Inline Wago Connectors
« on: March 05, 2024, 05:57:35 pm »

Arranging the wiring is always a key part of fitting out our R/C boats and reliable connections are an absolute must. So often problems are caused by wires coming adrift or faulty connections which can be difficult to identify.

Many of us, including me, have traditionally used ‘chocolate block’ connectors, usually successfully, but they are prone to problems and some don’t like them.

It is however very useful to be able to easily disconnect items of equipment which might need to be removed or replaced and ‘chocolate block’ ones do easily facilitate that.

Recently the lever operated Wago type connectors now extensively used by electricians have found their way into model boats and come in two sizes. The smaller 221 size is particularly useful but, like it’s bigger 222 version, has featured wiring entry and exit on the same side which doesn’t always make for neat wiring runs.

I have just got my hands on some 221 inline connectors which I think are new on the market and am finding them really useful.

https://www.wago.com/gb/installation-terminal-blocks-and-connectors/inline-splicing-connector-with-levers/p/221-2411

They are very good value and provide a reliable connection that won’t pull out. I’m definitely a fan. There are lots of online suppliers.

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Inline Wago Connectors
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 01:34:19 am »

Personally, I prefer these, especially for cold fingers!
https://www.toolstation.com/in-line-spring-lever-connectors/p49211
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

DHutch

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 02:37:58 pm »

Yeah, makes a lot of sense, I have certainly used Wagos a lot on the house.

As well as the inline one, they do 3 and 5 pin ones which are also very handy. They also do the older range with the levers like Klunk has shown.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-221-series-32a-5-way-lever-connector-25-pack/5201r
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-222-series-32a-3-way-lever-connector-50-pack/76776

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 03:41:36 pm »

Big Clive did a video just this week!:   https://youtu.be/qKNLX3A23hE?si=LAN6DPkmEd0MKCVu
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 10:24:03 pm »

Either I used the one I had wrongly, it was a cheapo one that wasn't made properly, or 'The Dog ate it' but I didn't get on with it. I found the hold was poor and when it did grip, the light didn't light up. I used an old junction connector (lozenge shaped white plastic thing to connect cables through)

Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 10:47:01 pm »

As  mentioned in Martin's videolink, there seem to be plenty of knock off copies of varying quality so best to use the originals.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 07:30:07 pm »

It makes sense that where there are the real deal there will be horrid cheapo copies around.
Pond weed is your enemy

DHutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:43 pm »

Yeah, the real ones are not expensive or hard to find!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 03:48:20 pm »

Those are the connecters that Stan uses in his very neat wiring installations.

Is it best to solder the cable strands together? Can they be used in place of bullet connecters?

Must get some!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DHutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 04:11:06 pm »

They are originally designed for domestic 'mains' wiring and will accept solid, 7 strand wire, or fine stranded flex.

No need to tin the ends although they would work fine with a tinned end, just the usual risk of wire fatigue where the soldered section ends.

Any good DIY or trade outlet will have them in stock. Screwfix, Toolstation, CEF, and independents.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 08:25:18 pm »

Hi Guys just a group of pictures showing the 221 series of Wago blocks installed in my models.They are easy to use no screws they are flat ideal for servo tape fixing. Do not solder your cables just bare back the cable and fit  plan out your installation because these blocks are all the same polarity. The genuine blocks are not cheap but well worth it. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 09:43:55 am »

Hi Stan - where do you source your fuse holders from as they look very neat?

I don't currently   :-)  fit fuses but am considering fitting them in the future. Have many questions on position, rating etc. but needs another thread.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 02:30:38 pm »

Hi Chris fuse holders from Action model electronics (Component shop)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 10:05:18 am »

Thanks Stan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.