Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swan attack!  (Read 1135 times)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Re: Swan attack!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2024, 08:25:18 am »

Our club's water isn't very large, though there is an adjacent lake which is much bigger, but we don't use it as anything other than a controlled return to the launch point would mean a lost model. The swans live on the big lake, but spend a lot of time on 'our' pond as people walk there and often feed the swans (and the ducks and geese, if the swans let them).
I'll be there in an hour or so with a different boat (police boat requires more bench time to repair the damage inflicted on Thursday), hopefully the swans will keep themselves to themselves.

Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2024, 09:00:27 pm »

We have Canada (sorry, eh) geese on our lake, they’re an absolute menace. Thankfully though when the swans have young they chase the entire flock away %)

We had problems with them at one particular sailing location, or rather, problems with their poop absolutely despoiling everything in sight, pond and shoreline.  I'd estimate their population in the city alone as well into the thousands.  People of course love to feed them which is like giving laxatives to a hippo and sending it around a public park. 

Thankfully we haven't had any violent incidents, they prefer to go after people on the shoreline who they think are withholding bread from them.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 10:23:16 pm »

No sign of the swans at the club's water yesterday, and today I started on repairs to the boat that was jumped on. I think I've done all I can to the superstructure, there're a few fittings missing, but I can live with that. Hoping to get the deck/hull join resealed tomorrow. I popped into Howes this morning and bought glue/solvent suitable for ABS. With luck, it'll be back on the water by Thursday's afternoon meet at the pond.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.