Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vliestroom Radars  (Read 2186 times)

maso

Vliestroom Radars
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:53:13 am »

I'm building the model slipways Vliestroom, one question regarding the radars. I plan on making them rotate, but which way do the go, at what rpm (do they both rotate at the same speed) and do they both turn the same direction. Any help would be much appreciated. Or shouldn't I worry so much.  :-\

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: Vliestroom Radars
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:11:03 am »

Maso,

The radar fittings as supplied are angled as the whole thing on the full size vessel canterlevers to enable the ship to pass under low bridges but still enables radars to turn. Photo 1

To allow the radars to turn on the model, I remade the arms upright as on conventional types.  This allowed me to run the drive shafts straight through the cabin area to the underside. I then made 2 brass pulleys of slightly different diameter. These were connected to 2 further pulleys of the same diameter on one shaft of a mini gearbox and motor. Using small drive belts made from cassette belt I am able to drive both radar arms in the same direction at different speeds from the same motor and gearbox. Got mine running clockwise - one running at about 60 RPM and the other at about 45 RPM. I'm not sure if this is 100% correct but it looks ok.

Terry.

maso

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:24:46 am »

Cool, thanks for that. I guess if they look like they are going a realistic speed and not too fast it should be ok. I do plan on having them straight up though as getting them to work on an angle might take a bit of mucking around, would look good though.  ;D

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:48:24 pm »

I have in the past got some mini servos and with the aid of a magnifying glass altered them to run cont, They are small eonugh to fit up the mast in place of the radar unit with the added advantage that you can do a mod on the case to look like a true radar unit, Then run them via a single 1.5 volt battery to get the approx speed.

Just another idea for you

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.