Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: proper way to tow?  (Read 3325 times)

bigford

proper way to tow?
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:48:28 pm »

when towing what is the proper way to do so? the smit hunter seem to
have a lot of stuff going on at the back half

dose the tow line just stay free and slap around going from the winch to the tow
or is it run through that hawsers bar

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: proper way to tow?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:33:54 pm »

Each to his own, but I'd come off the winch, over the towing horses and straight out over the stern. Of course with the tow fastened that far forward on the tug, you'd need a gob (or gog) robe attached to stop the possibility of girting (flipping the tug over if the tow swings around too much beam on). I just use a loop fastened to a hoop further back on the towing deck and the main tow line runs through that. You've got the ideal fixture already in place.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

bigford

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:53 pm »

ok so i built  or bent a rod and superglued it into place on top of
the pullies

now the rope will go stright out the back

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:10 pm »

On an actual tow. Might help..

towtug

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:27:36 pm »

Hi Bigford,
 yes rope goes straight out the back, fine till you need to turn, the tow line will keep you straight every time you try to pull and the tow won't alter course very much. The tow line should pivot just above the line of the props so that you can turn the tug under power and pull in the required direction. A gog line looped around the tow line and taken down to the capstan drums on the stern deck should be fine. The norman pins where you have put the bar across are manly used to control the tow line on a deep sea tow where the tow may be up to a mile behind the tug. O0

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:04:34 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I agree with towtug...Passing the tow line through the pins is ok for a long straight tow of great distance but not for ship handling...

I beleive its the old horses for coarses scenario...This is deep sea tug & not a ship handling harbour tug...Different tugs for different jobs...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:28:35 pm »

Hi Bigford,  To add to my good friends comments the norman pins Will cause you some Problem
   When turning, The rope will foul the pins, you could put a bar on the pins so the rope will slide over
   them, or remove them. See Photo of Happy Hunter.

Regards

John                      POLL

bigford

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:24:28 am »

this should work as the hoop is almost above the props

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 08:44:39 am »

looks ok Bigford ,but i can still see a problem with the towing if the tow is long where the line will catch on the capstan drums .
If you are planning an a short tow then the tow will have to be higher and the line kept taught
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 04:46:19 am »

I found an excellent book on tugs and towing designed for professional mariners that covers everything you wanted to know and were afraid to ask about tug towing. Its called "Tugs, Towboats and Towing" by Edward M.Brady, Corenell Maritime Press of Centreville, Maryland.. I got my copy through ebay.
  Its been my understanding that, on European still tugs, where the tow hook is midships, that the hawser runs free over the stern and a bridle rope (gog rope?) comes through the aft eyes on the deck then up to the hawser. The bridle rope can be drawn in or out to control the swing of the hawser and its relative postion to the tug during a tow. In that case the hawser will pass over the clearance bows over the deck, rather than under them..

oldiron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.