Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Customer Service  (Read 85017 times)

perkasa

Great Customer Service
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:50:37 pm »

Following Alans bad experience Why do we not start to name the good suppliers.

I would like to start by recommending Barry Sullivan who supplies Model Lettering & Decals. Fantastic and quick service. Look him up on www.modellettering.com.

Also Westbourne Models. The have never let me down and have always been very helpful.

There must be many others out there so why not tell us about them. :) :) :)

AlanB

Re: Great Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:32:29 am »

The usual culrpits come to mind

Model Slipway - never let me down, gave spare parts for free and all round very helpful and no excuses

Westbourne Models - Can't do enough for you, very helpful, fast and if they havn't got an item they tell you and order it in.

Scoonie Hobbies - Good mail order, although be prepared for a long chat on the phone

Mobile Marine Models - Not the fastest, but quality items and worth the wait, what Bryan doesn't know about tugs

JJC Electronics - Jim is very helpful and will repair and replace items no questions asked

Did I miss anyone ?

Oh yes Chris at Sheerline Model Subs - very helpful, always up for a chat and always helps out if possible

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:07:49 am »

Westbourne Models really do seem to have a fan club?? This is well deserved.

My dad, now 80, is currently building Slipway's AZIZ Anchor Handling Tug which has a bow thruster.? I located the Graupner version on Westbourne's web site and printed the page off for him.

He ordered one right away, sending a cheque off to Westbourne for the amount stated on their web site.

The bow thruster arrived by return, almost before dad's cheque was in the post box, and came complete with a cash refund and a note to say that the price was actually now lower than stated on the web site!? Now that's what I call real service!

We do supply Barry Shanks at Westbourne with our range of deck fittings, and are proud to do so.? I wish that all our retail customers were as reliable and easy to deal with.? Keep up the good work Barry!

Malcolm Reade
Reade Plastics

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:50:06 am »

I might as well chip in with the people I have delt with and are excellent.

Kingston mouldings- excellent hulls
Sirmar- excellent hulls and fittings
Fleetscale- as above
Waverley Models- very helpful
SHG Models- very helpful and fast service
Pandan- very helpfula nd qucik service.
Howes of Oxford- outstanding service and very helpful
Hunter Systems-very helpful
White Ensign Models- very helpful and quick
Model Timbers- very helpful
Macs Mouldings- quick and helpful
HSL Mouldings- very helpful
Puffin Models- Very helpful and quick
G Sitek- helpful and quick

I have possibly missed some people, but I have found all the above to be excellent suppliers who I would recommend to anyone.

Daryl

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:52:06 am »

can i add the following credits for good customer service,

and i know some have been listed already but you cant have too much praise....my experience of using the following businesses has only been good or excellent

precision controls,
macs mouldings
SHG marine
bow wave models
prop shop
mantua models
howes models
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

casper

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 11:57:57 am »

Guy

You cannot be serious - Prop Shop

I order a prop from them the first week in August last year and after 3 weeks it never appeared.

Being cast or balanced was the answer I received when calling

So I went to the Ellsemere show at the end of August and went to the prop shop stand.

Gave some guy, not Simon, the prop part number and he pulled one straight out the box, asking if he had any more
Yes was the reply about 4. These props had been in the box a while.

I bought the prop and cancelled my order later that week.

Why fob people off on the phone so that stock can be kept for the shows

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:16:16 pm »

Never had any problems with prop shop , but then I don't expect 24hr turn round everytime ,great service from Howes,Westbourne and AMC . Ordered some drawings from Metcalf Mouldings on Monday afternoon late .delivered to me Wedensday morning can't ask for more than that.
                                   Cheers
                                     Bob B

I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:38:04 pm »

I had similar experience to Casper with Prop Shop, I now use G Sitek who I found excellent. Another firm I have delt with is Waverley Excursions, they were very helpful and made us feel very welcombe. We look forward to more days out with them.

Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:41:21 pm »

Well i've not had problems yet , just got lucky I guess.

Model Slipway : well what can I say except absolutely excellent service if every company was like this we wouldn't have many problems
Metcalf Mouldings : again excellent communication from Dave and the Hulls with packs I ordered are spot on
Scoonie Hobbies : went into the shop in April and was amazed at the amount of stock they've got in there

I have used Ebay to buy a fair few kits / hulls / motors / plastic card / etc / etc and i've got lucky in that they've all arived as described and in good condition guess i'm just a lucky guy lol.

I'll be starting my model's in October once the summers wargaming campaign has finished and I can get my building table cleared of 28mm figures lol.

Davie Tait
Davie Tait,
Scotland

harryF

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 01:18:01 pm »

So this is where you are all hiding, Id like to nominate Martin for good customer service. We technically do not buy from him! Is that allowed?  I am sure it is

yes I would like to defend Prop Shop as always had good service I guess they all get it wrong now and again.  One singled out for a lot of praise had to be nudged by me 5 months but in defence they had to wait for a manufacturer I think.

several others deserve a thumbs up   Tyne models    quick of the mark
                                                    Model power    what they don?t know about batteries
                                                    Cammett         always prompt great service 
                                                    A Model World    again always prompt and knowledgeable and always phone back   
                                                    SHG                 only used once as above but turned up as ordered

Don?t know as we should single out bad or even call it bad maybe just a glitch, as posted in another topic some are only small,  we have to bear with them. Let?s be honest if they were big and bigger and had a call centre or order processing we would all be complaining.   Thank you to all   and after all this is a hobby.  Its not as if our life's depend on getting it quick, they shouldn?t

? ?

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 03:50:20 pm »

Well i've not had problems yet , just got lucky I guess.

Model Slipway : well what can I say except absolutely excellent service if every company was like this we wouldn't have many problems

Modelslipway just proved what you said Davie.  Due to my butter fingers, I messed up the wheelhouse screen. I put in a request to purchase a replacement and a piece of 6mm x 3mm styrene. Got email this morning asking for my postal address and that they were sending me the parts FOC and its not the first time!! They did the same once before.  Beginners fingers!!

How can you top that for service.  I know where my next model will be from!!

Others such as Sussex Model Centre, Steve Webb Models, Pandan Models, ACTion Kit are all in the same boat (excuse pun).  Very pleasant to deal with.

Declan

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:27:10 pm »

I've also had good service from Pandan, and I'd also recommend 308 Hobbies (formerly Henry J Nicholls) in London.
harryF states that it's only a hobby and our lives don't depend on getting stuff quickly. Maybe, but surely it's not too much to ask for firms to despatch goods promptly once payment has cleared, and not to fob people off with excuses.
I've never run a business, but I sell stuff on ebay, and I have a strict routine for packing and sending goods promptly. Which is why I have 100% positive feedback.
We have to put up with too much bad service in this country. Four years ago, the firm I worked for was taken over by an American company. One of our senior managers described the Americans as being "very demanding". We should be more demanding in this country, then maybe we wouldn't keep getting the crap service firms try to get away with.
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

AlanB

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 05:09:06 pm »

I thought this thread was about praising good suppliers, but I agree with One Blade Missing, it is not too much to ask for a supplier to send out items promptly after receiving payment.

It is not a matter of life and death but taking payment and delaying sending out items is a bit bad.

Talking about good suppliers, has anyone heard from or see Jim Casey of JJC ?
I have tried calling him to order some parts but no answer.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 06:01:56 pm »

He's probably working abroad.

Barrie

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 08:39:23 pm »

and my nomination is, drum roll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
John haynes. phoned him up to ask if he did a certain type of RN hatch, no, but if i sent him a drawing he would see what he could do. hey presto a shed load of hatches for my TYNE. the same goes for his companion ways, he now does a different lenght set.

Also Model Flags for a long conversation on hull markings, loock real good on the TYNE.

Mick Charles Models. old fashioned shop, dont do web sites. but Dave and john and jamie  cant advice you on aint worth knowing

colin
grumpy old XXX

flag-d

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 11:41:57 pm »

Don't think anyone's mentioned Model Dockyard yet.  Only bought a few bits from them, but very prompt service.  John Lambert's plans are excellent.  Westbourne impressive: they replaced a pair of bent shafts from G Sitek there and then, no questions asked.
If anyone out there is also into r/c cars/trucks/tanks, then I can recommend Time Tunnel Models: excellent service, friendly and very efficient.  Not too many boats, but possibly a good source for fast 540 type motors, nicads and prop shaft bearings etc.

Mike

RC John

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 08:47:59 pm »

Add Tony Ellis of Model Marine Supplies to that list!
Hiis email is [color=Blue]mmsocturacmbuk@aol.com[/color] and website is http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk
Oder by 2pm and you usually get it the next day.
As the email address says he is Octura and AeroMarine parts.
Just received an email from Tony to say he has gone "broadband", so the email address has changed - check his website for the new one.

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 07:42:49 am »

As somebody said....praise is worth repeating, so here goes.... Westbourne; Model Slipway; Deans; Pandan; SHG; Model Dockyard and a new one (importer of Laser model yachts) Peterkin.

Not much use to many of you but..... "Au Petit Prince" at Fontenay la Comte here in France. Friendly, efficient and tolerates my poor French.

As a footnote, I am a long since retired Trading Standards Officer and so I know a bit about bad service and rotten trading. So this thread is a great opportunity for me to repeat the advice I always gave to the public "When you are certain the problem is theirs and not yours, be quick to complain in a civil, formal manner. But when you receive good service be even quicker to praise."

Roger in France.

flag-d

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 11:25:57 pm »

Nick Tonkin at Model Dockyard, again!  Order 4 props, he only had 3 in stock, said the 4th would be with me in 2-3 weeks.  That was middle of last week.  Fourth prop arrived today: fantastic!

Mike

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 09:31:08 am »

Guy

You cannot be serious - Prop Shop

LIKE I SAID I CAN ONLY SPEAK FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF PROP SHOP ,? AND THAT WAS GOOD, I HAD BUILT A SUBMERSIBLE AND NEEDED ADVICE ON WHAT TYPE OF PROP TO FIT, SIMON LOANED ME SEVERAL AT BEALE PARK? ?AND SAID TRY THEM ALL, AND RETURN THE ONES THAT DID NOT SUIT THE MODEL,? I PURCHASED ONLY ONE FROM HIM AFTER SEVERAL HOURS OF TRIALS- AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED MY EXPERIENCE OF PROP SHOP IS GOOD.
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 02:30:48 pm »

Just had great customer relations and service  from J.Perkins. I have a Twister bell 47 heli and had monumental crash and burnt out the reciever I purchased a new one from Brentford R.C. ( which came by return of post ) put the replacemant reciever in model swithched on and everything worked for about two mins then nothing so I sent the reciever to J.Perkins on Saturday last with a covering letter, tuesday morning call on my mobile from service dept at Perkins  ( after they had tried to get me at home ) saying that they were prepared to replace the reciever but didn't think it was fault on purchase but that one of the motors on the heli was at fault and that i should look at them. This morning replacement reciever from Perkins and replacement motors from Brentford R.C. What better service could you ask for :great in this day and age that there a two companys who realy care about thier customers
                       Bob B

KIMBO

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 07:58:04 pm »

stop crashing them bob, elevate lad elevate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 08:07:11 pm »

Thats what I was trying to do dog wasn't too pleased when it landed on his head :o :o
                                            Cheers
                                                 Bob B

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 12:19:30 pm »

good customer service ?
I have just recieved a hull and plan and fittings from Metcalf Mouldings................ on time and  as promised.
The hull is one of the best i have ever seen ! Communication between myself and the company were never a problem and i am well pleased.
in the same category i would place Prop Shop, Fleetscale, Sirmar,JJC, and of course Westbourne Models. Precision Controls and Quaycraft.
in my own little world

dannymax

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 12:21:27 pm »

just a quick shout for deans marine... I happened to email them some photos of my unfinished "melitas" first sail and mentioned that somehow, i suspect on the journey to the lake, I managed to loose part of the plow anchor..a tiny thing I know, but annoying

new one sent f.o.c. and a response within an hour..

danny
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.