Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Receiver Aerial  (Read 2343 times)

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
Receiver Aerial
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Hi folks,

Here's what is probably a very basic question,.... I need to "hide" my R/C receiver aerial wire up the side of the mast, is it OK to cut the aerial wire and insert a plug and socket, (to allow the receiver to be removable) as long as I don't alter the original length of the aerial. ??  or doesn't the length of the aerial matter??

Many thanks
Peter

Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Receiver Aerial
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:53:11 pm »

I'm no expert, but only viewing this question from an electrical point of view.

The connections of the contacts must be of good quality and NOT come apart during sailing, as the receiver won't like the short piece left.  It seems, from information I have learned from club members is it doesn't matter if the lead is too long, but it certainly does if it's too short.

Hope this helps, as I go this route with a removeable cabin/Ariel setup.

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:01:02 pm »

Yes plug and socket is OK as long as you have a good connection Peter.
I always keep aerial wire the same length, others will disagree.

Works for me O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:45:55 pm »

Most R/C sets are designed for the model aircraft fraternity. A good aerial to them is vital. How many model boats are "steamed" to within a whisker of visual range? None, I suspect. How big is the Lake (pond,tank etc.) that you intend driving your boat on?
Tynemouth lake is pretty big as far as model boating is concerned, and I have found that the length of the aerial makes no difference whatsoever to the performance of the model. Two of my ships have the aerial "Sellotaped" around the inside of the hull with no adverse affects at all. As a beginner I used to read all the books and stuff and get worried about it...then I realised that the books were. in general, a load of whatever you want to call excrement. Aircraft; fine, Boats...don't worry to much....they even work still coiled up at 200 yards.....but just stretch it out and be surprised.
Notes from a simple seaman

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:08:09 pm »

The length of the aerial is not super critical, though if you go too long or too short there will be adverse effects - you will probably lose range.
It is OK to cut the aerial and put on an antenna or a plug and socket. Always ensure that you maintain the same overall length as the original, as this will give you closest to the manufacturers designed performance. If you do shorten the lead for any reason, such as a rigid antenna, I suggest marking the receiver with the length you have cut off and the overall length of the original, so later down the line you can reuse the antenna.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:01:39 pm »

I try not to have aerial leads showing on scale models and run them around the inside of the hull just below the deck, I hold it in place with bluetak with little or no ill effects.
I run a Club 500 and an Interceptor which are reasonably fast, on these models I have the leads extended up the aerial tubes, this is for safety reasons.

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:24:10 pm »

Many thanks everyone, knew I could rely on getting some good advice from this forum.

Peter
Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »

Remember any modifications to the aerial wire itself ie. cutting it to fit a plug and socket will invalidate the warranty, personnally from experience I'd leave as is.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.