Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: christchurch  (Read 3810 times)

hobbyman

christchurch
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:30:17 pm »

Hi
Anyone in christchurch NZ ,where is the local model boat club out there ????

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: christchurch
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:04:12 pm »

This may help

http://www.csmee.org.nz/index.html

I found the link when I was looking to go over there.

Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:01:57 pm »

I was at the Halswell Domain site a couple of years ago when my sister and brother-in-law were still living in NZ. It is a wonderful facility, aimed mainly at the model engineering fraternity, with several different gauges of railway line for model steam locomotives. The lake there was only quite small at the time, but there were big plans to develop it, with the co-operation of the Christchurch City Council. I don't know how much progress has been made at Halswell, but the Andrews Crescent lake looks very good. I have attached a few photos I took on the day. The power boat was completely scratch built, the builder even sewing the seat covers himself.
Peter.

hobbyman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:20:26 am »

Thanks HS93
That show is at the place Peter fitness pointed out ,pity i wont be there on the dates thay are having it but i will be going to have a look at the lakes ,
                                   Chris

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:20:29 pm »

I was at the Halswell Domain site a couple of years ago when my sister and brother-in-law were still living in NZ. It is a wonderful facility, aimed mainly at the model engineering fraternity, with several different gauges of railway line for model steam locomotives. The lake there was only quite small at the time, but there were big plans to develop it, with the co-operation of the Christchurch City Council. I don't know how much progress has been made at Halswell, but the Andrews Crescent lake looks very good. I have attached a few photos I took on the day. The power boat was completely scratch built, the builder even sewing the seat covers himself.
Peter.
I have been in sporadic conversation for a while now with a guy who lives in Invercargill...his club also caters for all different aspects of modelling..as yours seems to do. I think that is brilliant. I would love to see the engineers, flyers etc.etc. all belong to the same club (i.e. a "Model Club"), but here in the UK we suffer from being the first to do it. So we have clubs for boats, clubs for engineers, clubs for railway buffs and clubs for flyers. Very few of whom mix together at any level. This is a great shame as each can learn and enjoy from each other. I really envy the space you have to encompass all the various aspects of "modelling" and the cameraderie that seems to go with it. I should have emigrated to the Antipodes many years ago....
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »

Bryan, it certainly is a great idea to have different modelling interests in the one club, but not too many places have the available facilities, although it would not be necessary to have everything on the one site. RC aircraft need quite a lot of space, as they are potentially dangerous, in fact, some of the flyers I have flown with definitely ARE dangerous ;D. There is a model flying club a couple of hours south of us here, who fly on the local gun club's land, not at the same time as the gun club is in action I might add, although the possibilities are interesting ;).
I am not aware of a club encompassing different interests here in Australia, perhaps it's a Kiwi thing ???. However, the idea is a good one, as it encourages a mixing of modelling disciplines, and the benefits that could be derived from that mixing.
Peter.

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:20:18 pm »

Good evening Hobbyman,
I guess you are like me and spend the evening catching up. You are asking about Christchurch NZ. Well, as Peter has indicated the Model Engineering Club has boaties and a couple of ponds to play in, but, also there is the Christchurch Model Yacht Club (www.christchurchmodelyachting.org.nz ) which sails at several sites around the area.
BTW their web has a rather good information site on the " links". Have a look in "Alan Tongs Modelling" will keep you looking for hours.
If you stray further south (400km) Dunedin has the Otago Model Engineers who cater for Boats,trains ( tabletop and Outside) cars all in one grounds out at St Kilda. Feb2 - 10 2008 is Festival week and they are open each day from 1000hrs. Boats are varied from jetsprinters with 30cc weed eater motors to yachts to operating dredgers.
Another couple of hundred kilometers south you find me and my mates with our boats trains etc in Invercargill. Sorry, I have missed out Timaru where another club is located. So plenty of stuff to catch up with if you have time but I know being a Tourist can be hard work so just enjoy your visit and if you find yourself in Invercargill with a couple of hours to kill give me a call @ 2164676.
Cheers Bob Ferguson

PS Hello Bryan still here, still building, have ordered some stauntions from John Haynes, the ME is lined up, started on superstructure and hope to have the glass coat on by Xmas then float out.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:10 am »

Hi Bob

A little off topic, but is there a Burt Munro museum in Invercargill?

Thanks
Richard

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 08:00:19 pm »

Hello Richard,
No specific "Bert Munro Museum" as yet. Still talk going on. The local museum had a special display running for quite some time with all the "stuff" on show.
(Have to watch we dont get our hand smacked for straying). Old Bert was a local identity when I was an apprentice and his bike sits in one of the local hardware shops here in town.
Cheers, Bob

hobbyman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:09:03 am »

Thanks Bob
We are only in christchurch for 7 days ,i dont know how far we will be going but i will keep you in mind ,I will be going to the one in ch ch ,i like all types of models anyway ,its a pity as someone mentiond before ,that they dont have mixed clubs here too ,trouble is, people here seem to be very territorial and dont like to mix ,pity ,more people together means more chance of getting a venue to suit all tastes like the one in ch ch ,
                                        Chris

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 05:12:03 pm »

Thanks for the update Bob,

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.