Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS Glues  (Read 2396 times)

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ABS Glues
« on: December 21, 2023, 04:32:48 pm »

Bought a new kit. Only problem is that they are happy to sell the kit but glue, a different story. Why should I buy from a British shop if I have to buy glue from Europe. Its ABS glue that's the issue, going to follow the manufacturers instructions for glue.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: ABS Glues
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 05:17:07 pm »

Stabilit Express has been the choice for many years ... expensive though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pattex-Stabilit-Express-80g-2-Komponenten-Kleber/dp/B0000WPL8O

Superglue & MEK also works very well, but not for mechanical joints.

See search for : Stabilit Express - here on Mayhem

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 06:04:02 pm »

Are you sure it is ABS and not polystyrene?
Hard plastic glue or UHU for polystyrene is at the viscous end of styrene modelling solvent. It is available from poundland, DIY shops and the big grocers like Tesco.

It's worth spending 8 minutes on a refresher about solvent glues in this YouTube presentation.
How does Plastic Glue work? What's in the bottle and what does it do?
Inexpensive-by-volume PVC pipe solvent is available from screwfix & toolstation and possibly B&Q.
It works for ABS to ABS welding and for polystyrene. It's  comes with a huge brush.
If you need a dispenser a polypropylene eye-dropper bottle can be fitted with a capillary tube.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sc250-solvent-cement-250ml/14295

https://www.toolstation.com/pvc-pipe-solvent-cement/p23243

The safety data sheet for toolstation brand tells you the solvents
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 10:37:36 pm »

Hi  Have had a look at some builds that use ABS. Its Stabilit express and UHU plast special that appears to be the go to glues for ABS.
 Tried Plastic Magic by Deluxe Materials, it works but not tried to break the bond . Ordered the above from Germany last week, why is it not readily available in the UK. PVC pipe glue is quite thick ,might work for a thick coat inside the hull, don't think that you can thin it down.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 10:54:09 pm »

I've used Stablit Express in the past but, like other modellers, I've found the cost prohibitive. I used it mainly for gluing in proptube and rudder tube. I now use 2 part epoxy resin and found it to be reliable and, so far, no failures. Always ensure to key the parts to be glued  :-))

Ray.

Treble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 10:58:56 pm »

I think you'll find Model Shop Leeds sells the UHU product for £3.99.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 11:12:06 pm »

They don't have it, have other UHU glues but not the one I want.

Treble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 08:32:27 am »

Oh , that's unfortunate , my mistake. . As an alternative  , Amazon sell UHU Allplast for £4.94 if that's the version you're looking for. 

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 09:22:44 am »

I used to install mist lubrication systems for dry ski slopes many years ago.  All the pipework, valves and fittings were made of ABS.  All the joints were glued with Methyl Ethyl Ketone, better known as MEK and also known as Butanone.

This is readily available in the UK from many UK suppliers.  You do not need to buy from abroad.  It is an extreemly low viscosity fluid with exceptionally good capilliary action but it can also be made into a thicker glue by disolving shavings of the ABS plastic into it.

If customs discover any form of solvent based glue in a shipment being sent privately it may well be confiscated.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 10:11:21 am »

Wonder how many times we'll have to repeat this Echoooooooooooooooooooo Richard  {-)  Sadly, number of working Muddle Shops vastly reduced thanks to instantnet.

Regards  Ian.

Bought my last litre of ketone via T'net.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 12:03:13 pm »

Great stuff SubC, in that case, see also:  https://www.jbweld.com/product/plasticweld-syringe

But what about? - Bostik Hard Plastics Clear Glue

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 01:33:18 pm »

Neither of those is a modified acrylic, but will work depending on what it is you're gluing to the ABS.
The JB weld is an epoxy.
The Bostik is a goopy MEK based glue.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 05:50:14 pm »

Going to order this stuff after reading Bunkerbarges post
https://www.pipestock.com/abs-solvent-cement

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 06:58:59 pm »

Just be 100% certain the hull is ABS!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 07:06:56 pm »

You can purchase ABS pipe cement much cheaper here: https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-pipe-weld-cement-250ml/6368x

But I'd not recommend it as it's thick and will probably damage the profile of the components you're gluing ...

For gluing thin section ABS you need something that's thin so that, through capillary action, it easily floods and melts the joint but then quickly evaporates to avoid the above  :-))

I, in my past life as a professional modelmaker, used to use dichloromethane but you probably can't buy that now because it's not safe to drink  :}

EMA model supplies should have something although, having just looked, it's not immediately obvious:  https://ema-models.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 07:37:40 pm »

Mark, I've already suggested that, which does the job nonetheless.
It is thickened.
I used nearly a litre of dichloromethane.
For others who have not, it is very volatile and has to be transferred to a glass container and stored in a safe place like an outhouse. It is not particularly poisonous though you must not drink and you must work in a well vented area. It is no longer used in paint stripper in the USA and causes death by suffocation. The press recently reported another two deaths in Turkey where it was used as a pesticide solvent.
It corrodes steel tins, is best used from the fridge or thickened with the plastic material to be welded.

Going to order this stuff after reading Bunkerbarges post
https://www.pipestock.com/abs-solvent-cement
Ronnie, I did cost capitalisation as a job in the 80s. I know the branding game through sourcing engineering materials, components & chemicals.

Here is the safety datasheet which tells you what you are getting at £30.22 for 500ml tin.
https://www.polypipe.com/sites/default/files/effast_abs_solvent_cement_safety_data_sheet.pdf
It looks like plain old MEK, perhaps with a blue dye and a little dissolved ABS.
You can get 5 litres of MEK from a chemical stockist's Ebay for £19.50.
Search results: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=mek&_trksid=m5467.l1311&toolid=20004&mkcid=1&campid=5338791379&kw=mek

Top hit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295585417403
You can find out the contents of most products by googling the product name + SDS to get the safety datasheet (SDS).

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 08:08:35 am »

Hi all, Stablit Express.  It is excellent for glueing wood to plastic and also is a gap filler.
Cons are that once mixed you have no more than 15 minutes life of the adhesive.
I would use as has been suggested the solvents for ABS but not too much.
Roy

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 09:22:52 am »

No need for industrial quantities of glue, small tin of ABS solvent will fit the bill as stuff from Germany has arrived.. Cheapest tin is £16 but probably needs Vat added.
The Deluxe Plastic Magic works, tried to pull apart some of the sheet of ABS that has the pre cut parts on and it's a good bond .They have a fast setting version I might buy still £8 for a little bottle.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 09:45:07 am »

Not only pipe cement from plumbers merchants but also Joint cleaner, raw solvent for prepping solvent joints. Pretty good as a thinner for pipe cement too.

Regards  Ian

With ANY Solvent, use too much and the results are - - - -
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 10:51:21 am »

No need for industrial quantities of glue....
My point is possibly lost while trying to react to each new question and to you saying you will order this branded product while also telling as many people about the SDS resource and giving you direct hyperlinks.
 I should have prefaced by saying whatever glue or solvent you find on the continent of Europe can be sourced quicker, cheaper an with less hassle either from a UK based next day shipper or from Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Poundland or from a trade counter.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2023, 02:23:23 pm »

The best cement for ABS is EMA's(Plastruct) Plasticweld, it is available from most model shops.
This is a liquid cement like Mekpak(Slaters) or Tamiya Extra Thin for polystyrene. It will also stick Perspex and polystyrene.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2023, 03:26:10 pm »

The best cement for ABS is EMA's(Plastruct) Plasticweld, it is available from most model shops.
This is a liquid cement like Mekpak(Slaters) or Tamiya Extra Thin for polystyrene. It will also stick Perspex and polystyrene.
Off the top of my memory, without checking, Plastic Weld is another inexpensive and widely used solvent mentioned in the youtube video(or mix of two chemically similar).
It is packaged in 57ml bottles at fifty times the price per volume of a 5 litre container available from Ebay chemical distributors.

I'm not knocking your reply. It's the ideal solvent. I'm trying to hammer home that if you look at the YouTube video or find out from googling a branded chemical followed by SDS then you see you get 1 litre or a 300ml tin at the same price of a 57ml bottle.

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2023, 11:30:59 pm »

I don't use ABS myself but if it's Tamiya it's usually good.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 09:57:46 pm »

Topic renamed ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 23 queries.