Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A 'new' 18th century Frigate.  (Read 1375 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
A 'new' 18th century Frigate.
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:10:12 am »

Just back from a long weekend in France. We stayed at Rochefort (Ryanair to La Rochelle, Hertz car, Ibis Hotel - dead easy)
At the old naval yards, they are constructing a faithfull reconstruction of the Frigate Hermione - its big.
The hull is 44,2metres long, 11.5 metres wide (widest point) and 10 metres high. All being built in a covered 18 century refitting slip - (dry dock).
A fabulous experience and really worth a visit, plus the woodworking shops, blacksmiths, museum. The original Corderie Royal, where all the ropes were made. Eventually in about three year time, the slip will be opened, and out she will float - can you imagine the sight! Google Hermione Rochefort, and take a look.
Bonus of course, its all in France, fabulous fish restaurants, and if you are into oysters!!! and my wife had the shops, a great weekend.

Colin
Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A 'new' 18th century Frigate.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:16:40 am »

We visited the old naval yard some years back, very impressive buildings with the rural river setting beyond. Should be quite an occasion when they float her out.

farrow

Re: A 'new' 18th century Frigate.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:15:28 pm »

Should be interesting to see, the French sailing warships were far superior to anything the English had, I wonder if it will inspire anyone in this country. Although I expect time the Olympics come the country will be to beggared to preserve what old vessels we have left let alone build a nice new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.