Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: laquer or varnish?  (Read 2893 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
laquer or varnish?
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:49:31 pm »

I have just finished my first decking project, but dont know how to finish it, so any advice would be appreciated. Its in the back section of my Huntsman, so not the exterior planking, and I want a nice rich glossy finish. I will sand, then paint sanding sealer, but should I spray clear laquer, or use a varnish. I do not want brush markes, or yellowing, and dont want  the white plastic strips I have used between the planks to be discoloured.

I am dreading getting this wrong, as It has taken over a month to get to this final stage!

Thanks

Paul

FullLeatherJacket

Re: laquer or varnish?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:12:46 am »

Paul
First advice is NOT to use sanding sealer where there's plastic around. It's solvent-based and might well attack the plastic.
I've just finished a new show demo board which has a birch ply facing. I used three very light coats of interior quick-drying Ronseal varnish and was very surprised and pleased at the result. I used 320 grit aluminium oxide abrasive paper between coats. If I were to attempt a job like yours I'd be tempted to make up a dummy piece of deck from the same materials and experiment with materials and techniques until I found one that worked.
The two main things are to thin down the coating and to avoid exterior varnish, which has additives to prevent UV damage but makes the stuff go yellow very quickly.
Works for me, but suit yourself.
FLJ  8)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:27:58 pm »

good call FLJ about the sanding sealer, never thought of that! Will go with your idea, off to b&q now for it. Did you use the 320 wet or dry?. On the final coat, am I right saying that isnt rubbed down as then I will loose the "glossy" finish? How did you do with brush marks?
Many thanks
Paul

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:42:38 pm »

put it on with a lint free cloths or a piece of Bounty kitchen role that way you can put on lots of coats if you wish no brushes to clean i have been doing it that way since I was in the trade.

Peter

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:08:21 pm »

If you want to brush on, then several coats with a good rub down in between to get a good flat surface, then, warm the varnish a little, and keep the work piece horizontal and warm as it dries, then and brush marks will flatten out as it dries.

Works for me.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:20:15 pm »

Hi, The last lot of deck planking I did was to repair the deck on an Inga lV yacht and before that on a 1 :35 scale sailing model with 2mm wide planks.
In each case I did not sand but used a scraper.  This can be any sharp blade held carefully in tape etc, but try to scrape in one direction only.

I then did as has been mentioned, put a 50% varnish on with lint free gauze wrapped around my finger, as many as you want as it dries very quickly.

I was doing this on the roof section as well and could not get a really shiny surface and by chance decided to coat the dried surface with thinners only. It came up very shiny and no brush marks, bit of luck really!

Regards Roy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:58:59 pm »

good call FLJ about the sanding sealer, never thought of that! Will go with your idea, off to b&q now for it. Did you use the 320 wet or dry?. On the final coat, am I right saying that isnt rubbed down as then I will loose the "glossy" finish? How did you do with brush marks?
Many thanks
Paul
No, dont rub down the last coat. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

djrobbo

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 07:24:17 pm »

Hi guys....2 or 3 coats of yacht varnish. first one thinned ,all rubbed down except the last coat.......use a foam brush designed for acrylic paint.......no brush marks

as they say.....works for me..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.