Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to build from a plan  (Read 4713 times)

croakle

How to build from a plan
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:57:11 pm »

Hello all

Can anybody offer some advice about building from a plan?? I've only built small plastic kits before.? Are there any good books which take the beginner through the real basics.? It is an oldish plan (priced in shillings and pence) so assume it is all wood.

Thanks very much

Julian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: How to build from a plan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:43:52 am »

Basically transfer the plans via carbon paper and cut out carefully.
You then have your own kit.
As ever, measure twice cut once, throw away, do it again properly and dry fit everything first.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

jcarse

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:41:37 am »

Hi Julien

Building from a plan is not easy and a little knowledge of how to read a set of lines is required, however once you've mastered this it all becomes quite logical.  A good level building board is required and on this mark the frame (or shadow) spacing, this can be obtained from the drawing, if it's a full size plan just measure between the vertical lines on either the elevation or the plan view of the boat. Accuracy at this stage is imperative as the hull will not be "fair" if these measurements are inaccurate.  Draw a centre line up the middle of the building board, again being extremely accurate.  The next step can be done in several ways, from the body plan, i.e. the part of the drawing which shows the actual cross sections of the boat, you can either trace the hull shape from the lines, use carbon as Bob suggested, or by carefull measurement from the centreline of the drawing, (this is the method I perfer, being a boatbuilder to trade I find this the easiest way!!). Remember to take all measuements from the centreline of the bodyplan, transfer on to a piece of 3 - 4mm plywood onto which you will have already marked with the various waterlines and a centreline, it helps if you paint the plywood with flat white paint, (helps subtantially with the accuracy required!), join up the mearements using a thin batten id timber bent round the dots you've left or some french curves, I use a cheap plastic set bought from the local stationery shop.  Cut out the frames and set them up on the building board, matching up the centreline on the frame or shadow with the centreline on the building board, making sure the frames ae "dead square" across the building board and are square vertically from the board.  I can't emphasise enough the importance of accuracy at this early stage, if not accurate the hull will be full of lumps and hollows.  Once you've got all the shadows set up test for fairness by running a batten around the outside edge of the frames, any bumps will show when you do this, you can either sand down the lumps or add  bits to the shadow. If it's a painted boat you may get away with adding filler once the boat is planked, however it's always best to get the intial faitng as accurate as you can.  If it's a varnished boat you'll have to divide up every second frame (shadow) into the number of planks you want, this will make sure every plank is of equal width.

I've attached a couple of photo's showing the early stage of a One metre build, this in fact was a wooden mould I was making for a fibreglass hull, so I was able to fair the hull up using car body filler!!

These early stages can be quite boring and time consuming, but accuracy at this stage is well worth it in the long run.

Best of luck

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

ron h

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:18:18 am »

Under the building section you will find HMS IRON DUKE 1916 , its a full build of the ship model from research to sailing, quite a few have looked , but no replies ,78 pages. ;D ;D

croakle

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 09:35:55 am »

Bob thanks for the tip about carbon paper and jcarse for the comprehensive reply highlighting that accuracy in the early stages is very important. ronh also thanks, you must have spent almost as much time documenting the build as doing it.

I used to be a joiner so am familiar with drawings, can use tools and know how wood behaves but I must admit to feeling quite nervous about starting this.

Best wishes

Julian

ron h

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 09:52:11 am »

ron h also thanks, you must have spent almost as much time documenting the build as doing it.

That is correct, on modelwarships I show how to build models , post each day as the build continues, we call it night school.

jcarse

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 10:18:07 am »

Best of luck Ronh...........once you've done the first one the rest are a breeze!!!

Jcarse? ?;D

ron h

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 10:35:23 am »

Best of luck Ronh...........once you've done the first one the rest are a breeze!!!

Jcarse? ?;D

The idea is to help people that have not scratch built before, modelwarships is a site which is basically 1/350 and 1/700 scale kit builders , but I was asked to start the scratch build scection over 5 years ago, in that time I have built two ships USS NORTH CAROLINA BB55 and IRON DUKE , THE SCRATCH AND R/C SECTION has grown and now we have a lot that show how they do there builds.

I will be starting a new build soon, a US DESTOYER in 1/72 scale.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 11:41:43 am »

Believe me the hardest part is THINKING about it.
It seems quite daunting the first time, but once you get started things fall into a logical sequence.
And if something isnt quite right, that is what the bin is for!!
I always empty the bin at the start of a new build because I know it will be full by the end.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:42:29 am »

Couple of very nice photo's in this months Model Boats Mag of your Iron Duke Ron along with a bit of a write up ( haven't read it yet just poped thru my letter box this morning ).

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

ron h

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 12:02:08 pm »

Couple of very nice photo's in this months Model Boats Mag of your Iron Duke Ron along with a bit of a write up ( haven't read it yet just poped thru my letter box this morning ).

Davie

Have not seen it myself, most likely my mate Dave Wooley,s artical. ;D ;D

croakle

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 12:45:41 pm »

Bob I am prone to do a bit too much thinking and not enough doing, I call it planning but my wife calls it being bone idle.  And you are right it's very daunting when you've not done it before.  I have been procrastinating for far too long; shall I get a kit? Or a semi-kit? Or a hull? Or scratch build? Or do nothing? Kits are expensive...blah blah blah you know the arguments.  However, I had some good fortune recently, Ash on this forum was getting rid of some plans, I asked for a couple, one had already gone so the one I got was Cervia a tug (I liked the sound of the name).  As fantastic coincidences go the real Cervia is at the Ramsgate Maritime Museum about 15 miles from me so I can look at it rather than try and interpret the plan.  I have now got no excuses.

Best wishes

Julian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:29 am »

Julian,
Just go for it, as you are a joiner you should have plenty of raw materials!!
Try it and see.
If you arent happy with it either learn from your mistakes or go for the kit.
But at least have a go, what have you got to lose, a bit of time?
Isnt that what a hobby is all about!!
There are lots of experienced modellers on here who will give you advice if you need it.
GO FOR IT

Bob
Officially a GOG.

croakle

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:14:43 pm »

Bob

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am going for it.  Have had the plans copied.  And will look for a base board and other bits and pieces over the next few days.

Best wishes

Julian

croakle

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:48:26 pm »

The plan I've got is for Cervia a small Thames tug at ?" which I work out to be 1:48.? The model will be about 28" long.? Is this a good size to start with or should I make it a bit bigger 1:32 perhaps?

I've got some questions about the build now.? Can you tell me how thick the frames should be please?? 6mm ply?? Are there any suppliers of small bits of Finnish Birch ply?? When the frames are cut to shape and then the middle cut out to allow space for motors etc, how much should be left round the outside?? Is it necessary to add on some to the frame above the top of the hull side which is then cut off after?

Thanks and best wishes

Julian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 11:19:08 pm »

I have used 5mm ply for the frames and left about 1/4 inch at the thinnest part, but it does depend how you are going to treat the inside of the hull.
I use slow curing Epoxy Resin, this gives added strength too.
As for the hull I have used 1/32 ply cut into strips which fit the hull.
As you are building a tug the weight isnt crucial, so you can go a little thicker if you want.
There are lots of commercial fittings at 1/48, but not so many for 1/32.
Depends how you want to build or buy the fittings.
Hope this is of use.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 02:42:46 pm »

Is it necessary to add on some to the frame above the top of the hull side which is then cut off after?

Julian

Julian

if you intend to plank this hulll whilst it is upside down (the usual way) you should extend the frames so that they all sit on your building board. These can then be cut at the deck level when the planking is complete. MMI did a good workshop article on planking in Aug and Sep 1992, you may be able to get a copy from there back number dept.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

croakle

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 10:35:37 pm »

Thanks both for the information, it's really very helpful.

Best wishes

Julian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.