Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTOR WILL ONLY RUN FORWARD  (Read 3074 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
MOTOR WILL ONLY RUN FORWARD
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:26:19 pm »

Hy Guys.
I have a problem with  my Nangee tug.
I have just fitted a Speed 500 motor, already fitted were an Action Condor 20.2 esc, and a maplins 6 volt 4,5 amp battery. While doing a test in the bath the boat was going ok, but for some reason,now, it seems to only want to go ahead, when I put her astern she just goes ahead, reverse has just gone, ???.Anyone got any ideas as to whats gone wrong.
Thanks in advance
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MOTOR WILL ONLY RUN FORWARD
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:29:40 pm »

I'd say FLJ (ACTion) is your first port of call. Very good after sales service.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:35:56 pm »

hi ya there Bosun

This is sometimes one of the things that happens when you switch your RX on first before your transmitter.   I wonder, have you tried; disconnecting your main drive battery and your RX battery supply??   Leaving it for a couple of minutes, plug in your RX battery supply, followed by your main battery supply - and then, switch your transmitter on making sure that your throttle stick is set at neutral and that your throttle trim is also set at neutral. 

Then, switch your transmitter on, followed by your receiver and then your main power.

If this doesnt work, and dont tell FLJ I said this  O0 if you can get access to the inside without destroying the case - you may see a small relay - give it a light tap - as this may be stuck.   If this fails, I would strongly recommend an email or phonecall to FLJ - he is a great guy to deal with.   Just dont tell him Bluebird has suggested giving it a slight 'tap'.  {-)

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:41:06 pm »

Blimey guys that must be the quickest ever reply, Thankyou Colin and John, will try as you say and if \I get no joy will get in touch with Dave. I will let you know what happens. One thing I forgot to mention is the motor is getting hot, but there is no binding or such like.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:22:17 am »

Thanks, chaps. Just a note to say that I've contacted Bosun by PM and hopefully the situation will be sorted. "Give the relay a tap" indeed!
FLJ

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:02:57 am »

Hy Guys
Had a PM off Dave at ACTion, he suggested I change the batteries on the reciever :embarrassed: I did that and guess what, everything is all OK. (Thankyou Dave) Being new to the model boat world, electrics can be a fairly daunting process, especially for a lone sailor.Sometimes we cant see the wood for the tree,s.
I meant no ill reference to Speed motors, ACTion, or Maplin batteries when I quoted my set up, I just thought that would help in the diagnosis of the problem.
After quite a time messing about with model boats, ( I have now built three) and still not putting one on the water, mainly down to my ignorance on the electrical side of things, bad advice, (mainly from the model shop), the cost of replacing motors, batteries, speed controllers, and all other sundries, I think it,s time to call it a day. Many thanks for those on this site who have bothered to give me advice, it,s been apreciated.
All the very best.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 10:28:42 am »

Bosun
That's a shame, mate, because there's no big mystery about electronical thingies. There are generally only two parts to a gizmo; the clever bit and the dumb bit. The clever bit involves a boffin, a soldering iron and Ohm's Law - and that's all been done for you - and the other bit is no more than schoolboy stuff. You know, connecting bulbs and batteries.
I frequently despair of the attitude of some model shop staff, who clearly haven't got the faintest idea what they're selling and don't seem to care, but there's some good guys on this Forum and one or two excellent books out there. The one written by Hugh Bright and published by Traplet is absolutely superb, and should be compulsory reading for anyone who wants to pick up a transmitter in anger.
Stick around a while longer, Terry - help is always available from the Merry Mayhemmers, and I've sent you another PM.
FLJ  :angel:

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 10:36:47 am »

Hi there

I was hoping I was reading Bosun's posting wrongly, but after reading Dave's thread above, I was not.

So, Bosun, all I can say to you is DO NOT THROW THE TOWEL IN YET and leave model boating.  Even the best of us, get bad depressing days where we cant even wire a battery up and everything goes wrong.   These days seem sometimes never ending, but they do - and it ALL DOES WORK!

Aye
John e
Bluebird

KEEP ON PLODDING ON FRIEND.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 10:46:25 am »

Hi Bosun
Dont give up.
I have three boats on the water and they all run fine.
2 years ago I hadn't a clue what I was doing with electrics they were a complete mystery and alot of them still are, but by taking advice from the likes of Dave, John and Bob and several others on the forum I am learning.
Dont give up it's to good a hobby. If you have a problem ask on here and you will get more help than you can shake a stick at. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 11:07:25 am »

Do what Dave suggests and get a book, that way you won't be floundering about in the dark and getting discouraged. Things will begin to fall into place very quickly - guaranteed! We've all been there (although some of us can't remember back that far...)

Above all, in the immortal words of the captain of USS Chesapeake, "Don't give up the ship!"

Colin

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 11:41:43 am »

This is the book I was floundering to remember.....
"The Complete Marine Radio Control Manual" by Hugh Bright, Revised by James Ramsey. It's £12.95 from Traplet Publications. Tell them Mr Jacket sent you.
FLJ  8)

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:57 pm »

Are you on commission, then, Dave? {-) O0 {-)

Danny

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 01:05:57 pm »

Hi bosun,

Surely there must be a model boat club near you?

Your location is not on your profile, so can't suggest one to you.

Most clubs have at least a couple of people willing to help out and get you on the water.

Regards Bob

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 02:51:56 pm »

Dont give up thats an easy way out,if I just gave up at every boo boo I wolud have killed myself by now

Stavros

Tom Eccles

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 08:37:43 pm »

Hi Bosun,

From the sound of things you have already done most of the hard work in building three models!

Please take my word for it, I claim to be the forum moron on matters electrical. I was very lucky (as you have been) to be given advice by Dave at ACTion. Dave has been incredibly patient is guiding me through the things I need to do to get things working. With Dave and that other forum stalwart John (bluebird) on your side you will be fine.

Don't give it up now, this is the time to take the plunge and get your models on the water. If you are anywhere near Southport you will be assured of a warm welcome.

Best wishes and regards
Clegg

'OWM REWL FER LANKYSHUR

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 08:47:57 am »

Hy Guys,
As they say,,,, some days are diamond ,some days are stone, yesterday was one of those days where I had a thumping headache after banging it against the wall for the last few weeks. Three different motors, three different esc,s (two burned out) countless hours of looking for info, and a lot of probably silly questions to you guys on what is surely basic electrics. All this just to get a 30inch piiece of plastic (grp) to float across  some water. Needless to say today is a new day, and I am all ready to have another go. First thing is to thank you all for your support, and encouragement, it means a lot.
Second is to place an order for the book that Dave mentioned, and that will be done ASAP Third is to go up to the lake at Cwmbran on Sunday and have another look at what is happening (weather permitting) hopefully I can get someone to speak to me this time.
Once again
Many Thanks
Bosun,,, ( I will probably come back with even more stupid questions)
bosunsmodelboats.com

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:05 am »

bosun,
As has already been quoted before on here, there aren't any stupid questions, just the ones you DIDNT ask.
It is always hard learning about a totally different subject, but the secret is to ask questions.
Sometimes though it is a lot easier for someone to show you a complete working set up, so where abouts are you?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 11:21:44 am »

Never underestimate the power of the carefully asked stupid question - it is a wonderful way of challenging preconceptions and the "recieved wisdom"
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.