Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PALAFORM AERO RACER MODEL HOVERCRAFT  (Read 2496 times)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
PALAFORM AERO RACER MODEL HOVERCRAFT
« on: November 23, 2007, 10:40:57 am »

Been asked to look into a slightly different model...... either a hovercraft or airboat for a junior club member ( aged 12 )

just wondering,if anyone has any knowledge of the entry level electric model hovercraft from palaform, the aero racer.....

the junior in question has experience of building an RC buggy so is not totally 'green' but the tamiya kits are  strightforward to put together !!!!- so how easy is it to put the palaform kit together ?- is it a case of assembly only  or is it marking out, cutting out  and bonding etc.....

is the areo racer any good, or will this model  end up ontop of a wardrobe gathering dust within a month ?- any idea on duration from a pack of cells ?

the alternative suggestion i was thinking of offering was to suggest building a scratch built air boat, simple flat bottomed hull shape, electric motor driven, maybe quite rewarding for him to actually build the whole of  his model too !

or are there any plans out there for a simple -ish airboat ?- i guess the trickiest bit with a scratch built model would be getting the motor/ fan set up correct !

can anyone offer some input on this subject

thanks in advance
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: PALAFORM AERO RACER MODEL HOVERCRAFT
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 11:39:15 am »

Guy,

I built an aero racer last year and I'm pleased with the overall performance. The model runs for around 8 - 10 mins of a pack of 8.4v 3700mah cells. I have the supplied brushless motor and esc from Palaform.
We now have a couple of these hovercraft in the club and I must admit its more fun when there's two of 'em.
A word of warning. I used a fast drying, low odour silicone sealant for adhesive but it started to destroy the polystyrene sheet so I reverted back to ordinary bog standard silicone and it was fine.
Also, some of the parts required to complete the kit are not supplied as standard. (Prop, motor, esc, servo snake, wiring etc.) Check the kit contents on the website.

Terry.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 11:45:32 am »

ok, thanks,  personally i would like to see him have a go at an airboat, but i think he may prefer to buy something like the palaform  hovver.....

he already has radio, cells and stuff from the buggy, i know the cells are lower capacity than yours though......
will relay the details back to him

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:46:24 pm »

Guy,

There was a (free?) plan for an airboat in one of the mags recently - possibly by Glyn Guest.

Barrie

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:32:57 am »

cheers will check my issues for it !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.