The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

70`CMB- the first trials

(1/3) > >>

White Ensign:
Hi Folks, some use to know me from the Modelboats-Forum. Though, as an evidence that I am not just hanging in the GOP-BOF section with my partner Fred attached you will find some photographs of the latest pleasure-object.
Last summer I found an information about an rotten hull of that type somewhere in a shelter of the IWM in Chatham. A good soul (to my shame I have forgotten his name) had taken some photographs which had given me the final informations about that boat and I made it in fibreglass, out of a 2-part pattern. Scale 1:24 it just has somewaht about 2,7 Kilograms and gives a running time of 25 minutes at full ahead. But in these 25 minutes it runs like sh.. from a shovel.
Anyway, just to thank all the modelers who supported me on this matter.....- here we go!
I hope you will like it and I will keep you informed when it will be finished with all the tiny bits and pieces which need to be done.

J?rg

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

RickF:
Hi W E,

Is the boat at Chatam the one that used to be stored at IWM Duxford, with a display concerning Lt Agar who won the VC during the Russian Civil War when he sank the cruiser Oleg in Kronstadt?

Rick

White Ensign:
Hi Rick, could well be- I don`t have any closer details about the activities of this boat. I just know that there had been one very succesfull attack due to the Rusiian Civil war. But I wonder wether it was the CMB103.
I just know that the CMB103 is preserved as a relic and had found some informations that the Russians had build a small number of similar vessels, but with an different superstructure and armament. Though, if this was the boat the attack must have been lead with torpedoes. Depending on the British sources these boats had been just in action as fast minelayers, but had been capapble of taking two torpedoes in the mine trough.
Any further details known on this boat?

J?rg

RickF:
W E,

Done a bit more research and got this off Wickepedia:

HM Coastal Motor Boat 4 was one of a large series of small fast shallow draught vessels used during World War One. She was designed by Thornycrofts of Hampden, England, ordered in January, 1916, built by them and delivered that summer.

CMB 4 displaced 5 tons and was 45' in length X 8' 6" in width and drew 2' 9" in water. Power was provided by a 1 shaft Thornycroft V-12 gas engine which developed 275 bhp and achieved a top speed of 24.8 knots. The boat was armed with 1-18" torpedo tube and four .303 Lewis machine guns. It carried a crew of 3.

The boat, under the command of Lt. Augustus Agar, V.C., was made famous by his daring exploits in the Baltic Sea against the Bolsheviks in 1919.

CMB 4 has been preserved at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Coastal_Motor_Boat_4"

So obviously not the one at Chatam

Engineman:

--- Quote from: White Ensign on April 10, 2006, 10:42:48 am ---Hi Rick, could well be- I don`t have any closer details about the activities of this boat. I just know that there had been one very succesfull attack due to the Rusiian Civil war. But I wonder wether it was the CMB103.
I just know that the CMB103 is preserved as a relic and had found some informations that the Russians had build a small number of similar vessels, but with an different superstructure and armament. Though, if this was the boat the attack must have been lead with torpedoes. Depending on the British sources these boats had been just in action as fast minelayers, but had been capapble of taking two torpedoes in the mine trough.
Any further details known on this boat?

J?rg

--- End quote ---
Well, this particular one was the largest and the most slow amongst the Thorneycroft CMBs and never used in attacks of surface ships. During the Civil War in Russia two smaller CMB's types saw action - 40' CMB (one torpedo) and 55' CMB (two torpedoes) with the top speed somewhat 40 knots. The 40-feeter managed to attack and sink the cruiser OLEG with a single torpedo. The story of the 55-feeters is a real tragedy - 4 of them (7 units launched the attack) were smashed by gunfire of the TBD GAVRIIL (NOVIK type) during their attack on Kronstadt harbour in 1919. Only a few men from their crews survived...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version