Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70`CMB- the first trials  (Read 5219 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
70`CMB- the first trials
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:10:53 am »

Hi Folks, some use to know me from the Modelboats-Forum. Though, as an evidence that I am not just hanging in the GOP-BOF section with my partner Fred attached you will find some photographs of the latest pleasure-object.
Last summer I found an information about an rotten hull of that type somewhere in a shelter of the IWM in Chatham. A good soul (to my shame I have forgotten his name) had taken some photographs which had given me the final informations about that boat and I made it in fibreglass, out of a 2-part pattern. Scale 1:24 it just has somewaht about 2,7 Kilograms and gives a running time of 25 minutes at full ahead. But in these 25 minutes it runs like sh.. from a shovel.
Anyway, just to thank all the modelers who supported me on this matter.....- here we go!
I hope you will like it and I will keep you informed when it will be finished with all the tiny bits and pieces which need to be done.

J?rg

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: 70`CMB- the first trials
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:23:01 am »

Hi W E,

Is the boat at Chatam the one that used to be stored at IWM Duxford, with a display concerning Lt Agar who won the VC during the Russian Civil War when he sank the cruiser Oleg in Kronstadt?

Rick

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:42:48 am »

Hi Rick, could well be- I don`t have any closer details about the activities of this boat. I just know that there had been one very succesfull attack due to the Rusiian Civil war. But I wonder wether it was the CMB103.
I just know that the CMB103 is preserved as a relic and had found some informations that the Russians had build a small number of similar vessels, but with an different superstructure and armament. Though, if this was the boat the attack must have been lead with torpedoes. Depending on the British sources these boats had been just in action as fast minelayers, but had been capapble of taking two torpedoes in the mine trough.
Any further details known on this boat?

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:59:25 pm »

W E,

Done a bit more research and got this off Wickepedia:

HM Coastal Motor Boat 4 was one of a large series of small fast shallow draught vessels used during World War One. She was designed by Thornycrofts of Hampden, England, ordered in January, 1916, built by them and delivered that summer.

CMB 4 displaced 5 tons and was 45' in length X 8' 6" in width and drew 2' 9" in water. Power was provided by a 1 shaft Thornycroft V-12 gas engine which developed 275 bhp and achieved a top speed of 24.8 knots. The boat was armed with 1-18" torpedo tube and four .303 Lewis machine guns. It carried a crew of 3.

The boat, under the command of Lt. Augustus Agar, V.C., was made famous by his daring exploits in the Baltic Sea against the Bolsheviks in 1919.

CMB 4 has been preserved at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Coastal_Motor_Boat_4"

So obviously not the one at Chatam

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:06:54 pm »

Hi Rick, could well be- I don`t have any closer details about the activities of this boat. I just know that there had been one very succesfull attack due to the Rusiian Civil war. But I wonder wether it was the CMB103.
I just know that the CMB103 is preserved as a relic and had found some informations that the Russians had build a small number of similar vessels, but with an different superstructure and armament. Though, if this was the boat the attack must have been lead with torpedoes. Depending on the British sources these boats had been just in action as fast minelayers, but had been capapble of taking two torpedoes in the mine trough.
Any further details known on this boat?

J?rg
Well, this particular one was the largest and the most slow amongst the Thorneycroft CMBs and never used in attacks of surface ships. During the Civil War in Russia two smaller CMB's types saw action - 40' CMB (one torpedo) and 55' CMB (two torpedoes) with the top speed somewhat 40 knots. The 40-feeter managed to attack and sink the cruiser OLEG with a single torpedo. The story of the 55-feeters is a real tragedy - 4 of them (7 units launched the attack) were smashed by gunfire of the TBD GAVRIIL (NOVIK type) during their attack on Kronstadt harbour in 1919. Only a few men from their crews survived...

splash

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:14:49 pm »

Hi
 i have built the hull of a 40' CMB plank on frame double planked, it is very light but i have not wieghed it or fitted it out yet i,ll try and post a picture later.

Is there any chance of a moulding of your hull for sale ? what rudder/motor are you useing ?

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:46:37 am »

Hi Splash,
the motors I have used are Graupner SPEED 600 BB TURBO, one motor for each shaft. It runs with 10 cells NiMh 3700 mAh.
As the shafts are held in bearings in the rudder, I have created the rudders on my own on a milling machine, soft and silver soldered.

At the moment the pattern was just good enough for a fibreglass-hull which needs some treatment. The hull was made out of two patterns, one for the hull, one for the deck. There are a severeal requests for that boat, though I will make a new pattern, this time with silicone-rubber and fibreglass, but it will took a while.

If you want to, we can talk about that at a later stage. Unfortunately I have a job which keeps me busy 12 hours a day...  ::) and modeling had become minor. Anyway- there will be some casts out of a new pattern, but later this year.

About your 40` CMB, looks damned good, but I wonder if you will be not in weight-problems with a wooden hull.

Happy modeling,
J?rg

splash

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:57:51 pm »

Hi jorg

As i said i have not weighed the hull but it should be light. made like an aircraft
 10? 6mm ply ribs
? balsa stringers
? Balsa bows
? double planked with 0.5 mm birch ply

All of orginal thornycroft drawings;-
the skin is 1.0 mm thick. seams light 1kg on the bath scales with 9.6v pack,600 race motor,servo,and speed controller.
just needs cabin fittings and torpedo should be less than 1.5 kg on the water. is that OK ?

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 08:27:14 am »

Splash, just check out the waterline- she gives you the clue what you may have on total deadweight. But the less it is, the better it will run. The Motor seems to be o.K., I wonder if the 8 cells will be enough. But it`s worth a try anyway.

J?rg

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 70`CMB- the first trials Update1
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 05:28:46 pm »

Update yesterday- had improved the balance a bit more forward, now it looks and runs much better....
It`s really a joy to run it.....- and it really makes the hell of fun!  ;D

Warship

• Full Mayhemer
  • Enjoying my Retirement.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 07:11:59 pm »

Nice picture of her there Jorg. It certainly looks a fast boat.
Ambition. To have my own Model Navy
before I pop my cloggs.

Presently building Aircraft Carrier H.M.S. Victorious in 1/96 scale.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 12:00:21 am »

Warship, it might be none of these "Raceogoats", but she`s very close to it.  ;D

J?rg

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 10:04:03 am »

nice boat jorg dont supose you have a pdf of the plans for this boat id love to have a go at building one sometime?.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 03:06:01 pm »

Hi Martno- I`d had a several requests for that boat, though I decided to make a little series of it as I still have the patterns in my workshop. The trouble with the plans is, that there is no complete plan available. The fragments just had shown 3 frames and a very poor side and top-view. Though I constructed the missing frames and all details out of the plans and some photographs and visited the last hull in Chatham.
I will redraw the plans completely new, but that`s a job for the winter-season when it`s too cold in the workshop.
Anyway, if you are interested- please don`t hesitate to leave me a message.

Jörg

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 04:01:40 pm »

if you ever get round to drawing up the plans id be interested in a copy for sure !!.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.