Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hustler  (Read 5712 times)

Eddy Matthews

Hustler
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:58:28 pm »

I've been wondering if I should post anything about this for a while, but eventually thought what the hell, some of you may be interested....

It's a 1:6 scale model of "Hustler", the boat that broke the world water speed record about six months after Donald Campbell was killed in Bluebird K7. The boat was driven by Lee Taylor, and recorded an average speed over the two runs of 285 mph, with a top speed of 300 mph.

It's a boat (and driver) few people have heard of nowadays, but to me it's argueably (sp?) the most attractive of the WWSR boats ever built. So first, a couple of photos of the real boat to show what it will eventually look like... The second photo shows it on it's record run...

Eddy Matthews

Re: Hustler
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:02:43 pm »

The model will be powered by a gas turbine (jet) engine, exactly like the real boat. It's being built as a commission build for a friend - I certainly couldn't afford to do one for myself! :-(

These next photo shows the basic framework being constructed.... I had to spend weeks pawing over photographs to create a set of drawings to build from as no plans for the real boat exist as far as I know...

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:04:10 pm »

The framework continues, with stringers attached to give the shape of the boat and have a surfave to glue the outer sheeting onto...

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:07:51 pm »

A bit more progress on the hull, it now has the floor of the main tub added, and the cockpit area is cutout....

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »

Flippin heck I hope he sails it on a big lake!!!!!

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 08:22:55 am »

Hi Eddie just couldn't resist this one ............. see those look beautifull pills arn't working !!  cheers look after yourself try and see you soon
                                                        Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 09:29:03 am »

Looking at the first two pictures of the boat, (not Eddy). It may be something to do with the angles that the shots are taken, but they look to be pictures of two different machines?

Have a look at the curve on the air intake above the driver's head?? The pointy bit at the top of the intake seems to curve over more in the black & white shot?

Malcolm Reade

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 12:47:04 pm »

Yes it will need a big lake Stavros :-) It's certainly not something you can run in a kiddies paddling pool!

My doctor says he'll give me some stronger pills Bob, but doesn't hold out much hope of them working - There is a positive side to it though, at least whenever I post a photo I can just say I'm the ugly one inthe corner and everyone knows who I mean! ;-)

The boat is strange Malcolm - It tends to look like a totally different boat depending on which angle you view it from. It made sorting out some drawings to build from a bit of a nightmare!

Never the less, it should look and sound fantastic on the water, so I'm really enjoying the build - which, lets face it, is what the hobby is   all about!

Regards
Eddy

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 04:09:39 pm »

Please let us know when the first running of this beast is going to be or should I say test fight!!

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 09:05:45 pm »

The Hustler continues..... Front sponsons almost complete, and I've sheeted the rear of the hull - Ply doesn't like to be bent in three different directions at once! I've never used as many clamps in my life!!  ;)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 08:05:49 am »

looking good Eddy , ............the boat I mean not you  ???
                               Cheers
                                  Bob
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 08:33:33 am »

Thanks Bob, as tactful as ever!  ;D

Regards
Eddy

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 12:16:58 pm »

Hey Eddie if your going to take photos please mow the grass the lawn looks bloody awful..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 01:14:10 pm »

Hey Eddie if your going to take photos please mow the grass the lawn looks bloody awful..

Roy

And waste valuable building time? Not a chance Roy! :-)

Regards
Eddy

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 02:24:15 pm »

And when you're finished with yours, come do mine!  I'll even furnish the beer.
 - 'Doc

magpie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Subs Rock
    • magpieyachts
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 01:39:46 pm »

See that stand thing Eddy. You can sit the boat on it to take the pics! He He He.

:D
Sorry mate. You look OK.
Jason
"Where's the sub gone?"
http://magpieyachts.com

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 11:01:33 pm »

How are you getting on wiht the boat,have you mowed thta lawn yet???

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 05:12:44 pm »

Eddy, can we have an update on your build?

chromedome

offshore1987

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 01:29:27 am »

hi there, do you have anymore pics on your build?

funny you should say about the black bird we have the only true rep of the steering wheel in the world as i know of  O0

RipSlider

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 03:13:10 am »

Eddy,

Can you tell me which turbine unit your using, and if you've given any thoughts to how to lay out things like the header tanks, Auto start gas systems etc?

I "accidentally" brought a turbo-prop turbine this afternoon, along with all the kit. Purchased 90% with a plane in mind ( a burt rutan special is the thinking ) but at the back of my mind is the idea for a boat ( my earthrace project perhaps?)

However, I've kind of written it off as impractical as I couldn't think of a way of keeping the massive volumes of air going in without letting the water in, and how to get all the "gubbins" into a boat and not have it get soaked.

If you've had any thoughts on this, then I'd be really interested to hear them. But please don't sound too convincing or my summer plane build might turn into a summer boat build which takes MUCH longer and involves more swearing...

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.