Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: masking off  (Read 2231 times)

botchit

masking off
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:55:33 am »

Can anyone tell me, is there a particular type of masking tape used when preparing to paint hull etc. ???

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: masking off
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:26:54 am »

Hi botchit,

Personally I tend to use Tamiya masking tape of various widths, backed up by normal masking tape from the local DIY store on the larger areas. I belong to two clubs in my area, and they pretty much all use Tamiya. Hope this helps.

Danny

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:31:23 am »

Hi Botchit, I would  recommend you use Tami ya masking type  it comes in different widths and it is easy to apply. I have tried other  low tack tapes  and never had  any luck with these. Cheap tapes also tend to have a uneven edge where Tamiya tape will give you a very clean edge. If you are masking off a small area you can get tape around 1/16 wide, if you want you can cut a piece of Tamiya tape place it on some plastic card  and with a ruler cut to what size you want done this many times. Most good model shops stock this material. all the best with your painting.

Stan  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:33:51 am »

Can anyone tell me, is there a particular type of masking tape used when preparing to paint hull etc. ???

If you do a search on this site.
There was loads of discussion on masking on one of the paining threads on here a few months back.

There were also tips on how to prevent bleeding, with almost any tape.

Also a discussion on the virtues of electrical insulation tape.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

botchit

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:05:16 pm »

Thanks for the fast response and advice folks.
Regards Botchit

slewis

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:40 pm »

For sharp lines I use 3M fine line tape if only for the fact it costs me nothing and its what we use in the trade.
as regards the tip to stop bleeding under any tape its this one ,
paint your first colour then mask it up , and then spray the same colour lightly over the tape edge . This will seal the edge and it doesnt matter if this one bleeds as its the same colour  ;) then paint the new colour over the top  O0

HTH

Shane

mal73

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:35:21 pm »

Again I now use tamiya masking tape, I have used others but this gives great results. On the boat that I am building now, not one bit bled whilst painting the hull.

Hope this helps :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.