Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay hull fit out  (Read 5529 times)

bbdave

Ebay hull fit out
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:51:51 pm »

Back in August i bought a 37"x10" grp yacht hull off ebay there was no information with it as it seems to be a one off on arrival i found a very crap grp deck was badly fitted but 17lb of lead was pre cast into the keel. The hull had no sheer so the first job was to mark a sheer line and

the pictures shoul have worked. i have then fitted bearers and reenforcement where needed i have scaled a gaff rig to fit and i will be making the mast etc shortly just have a few finishing touches to the deck and to paint the hull

This is as it is tonight having sanded the deck and fixed the hatch combing.

The long Build

Re: Ebay hull fit out
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:17:13 pm »

What are you using between the plankings ?

bbdave

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:39:34 pm »

I use black paint mixed with the glue you only need a small amount it looks grey but the glue dries clear so then turns black. it's a method i used years ago to simulate calking and it works very well i think.

bigH

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:46:07 am »

That's a very nice job that you have done on that hull Dave, very nice indeed.   Don't forget to let us see pictures of her when she wets her keel....Harry

bbdave

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:34:37 pm »

Just thought i'd post the story so far.The christmas break gave me an opportunity to crack on with painting and varnishing etc so off to the garage to see what i could find below are some pictures as she stand now. The next job is to find some mast and rigging materials i've spotted an old bali beach rod stand hidden away i think that'll do for starters O0.

As she stand today still got the boot line to paint.

My first attemt at home made brass work for the sprit.

Comercial deck fittings not that impressed to be honest wish i'd had a go making them.All the screws are going to be changed for round heads.

Starting to look like a boat now. i am attempting to build this boat as cheaply as possible so i beg borrow or steal as much as i can but i'm enjoying it massively. can't wait to sail her need to think of a name though.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:26 pm »

Good looking fit out bbdave, your first attempt at brass bashing on the sprit don't look too bad either. Small point you might like to consider. If you solder a flat piece of brass underneath, and the same shape as the sprit cleats, you will in effect have made "tubes" for the sprit to locate in. Don't know how much force would be on brackets but they wouldn't distort as easily, and cos you've got double the thickness on the legs, it allows you to countersink the mounting holes to a suitable depth for the screws. NOT a criticism, just an observation. Flange head screws look great but not many at our scales. Regards Ian 
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

bbdave

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »

Thanks circlip the picture doesn't show clearly but there is a base to the sprit cleats but i wasn't sure about countersinking to much and loosing strength.

bbdave

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:42:32 pm »

Hi another up date i have made the mast and spars the mast was made from an alli tube off an old beach fishing stand the top mast is a section of carbon fishing pole whipped an epoxied onto the ali tube. the standing rigging consists of fishing braid and is attached via swivels with clevises (fishing box again). The sprit gaff and boom are cedar arrow shafts (out of the archery box) and a short piece of brass chain for the bob stay. i have installed a closed loop sheet arrangement which i hope will work. My dad has been conscripted to making the sails as he has mor patience than me got the main and head made so far this week should see the jib and stay done.

the mast and spars being tried for size

Deck arrangement forsails will have fixed sheets to make it simple for me

Main and head tried for size and patterns for jib and stay in place

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:46:20 pm »

That is going to be some nice looking boat  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bbdave

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:13:06 pm »

Had a trail sail today on the garden pond the trim was way out  so i'm going to replace both forsails with a single large jib.therudder was not to hot so enlarging that but apart from that she went fine. the modifications should mean only minor trim adjustment will be needed but considering there were no plans for the hull it wasn't going to work first time.

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:27 pm »

Perish the thought but how big is your gardedn pond!!!!

Stavros

bbdave

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:49:01 am »

not big enough really about 20' x12' but with the wind were having it was enough to show up the problems it will have to go on a bigger area to fine tune an show up smaller problems

jinks8

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 04:04:37 am »

she looks bril hope you get it

bbdave

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 02:54:02 pm »

Finished the rudder extension and new sail just need some slightly less windy weather to try her properly a quick test in the pond again seems to have proved the rudder and new sail but definately need more space and less wind now.

new rudder taking shape

The new sail plan foresail slightly the wrong shape but the best attempt so far.

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 10:40:38 pm »

Hi Dave, now that is what I call making a silk purse out of a..............well done indeed. O0
So you too have a pond eh?
I have a small too about 18' x 14' in size and as clear as crystal, it has to be I guess as I have
some beautiful Koi of varying sizes.
I want to make a floating pontoon or maybe a small harbour or dock to tie up the odd steam launch
now and then.
The Koi swim over to me when I arrive at the edge, but scarper real quick when the boat goes on. {-)
They seem to think everytime I appear it is grub time, they can half down some food in the growing season
I can tell ya'.
Anyhow let us know how you get on when she is fully sailing ok.
Cheers
Cliff

bbdave

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »

Just got back from a cracking first sail today everthing went well after a few initial minor hicups but she performed very well and looked a fine sight. looking forward to many happy hours sailing  O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »

So where're the pictures then ? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

I got some pics of it cos Dave was sailing with me and it sure did look good. What do you think Dave should we let him see the pics or should we tell him to use his imagination or better sell the pics to him to supplement the cost of all the tea that was drunk .Nice effort Dave she really looked the part  :D :D
                                                                                                       Cheers
                                                                                                             Bobb
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

bbdave

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:24:12 pm »

I'm jus downloading them and resizing them should be getting them on in a few minutes

bbdave

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

Here we are the maiden voyage

Maybe the sails arn't perfect but it all works and i enjoyed building her and had a great time sailing looking forward to the long hot summer and gentle breezes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »

Good pics Dave how did you manage to sail and take such good ones ::) ::)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 07:58:49 pm »

Just one at the mo pics need resizing

bbdave

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 08:19:47 pm »

Good pics Dave how did you manage to sail and take such good ones ::) ::)

Thats a trade secret.
 Don't know what to do now nothing to build till i pick up my sub kit on saturday {-)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:29 am »

Can't wait to see you in your swimming trucks when DICKIE demands pics of the sub, would have to tell you they have had a 35lb pike out of the lake though  ???
                                                                                                                                                           Cheers  BobB

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:35 am »

Hi Dave, she is looking really good.
Great job.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.