Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coloured sails  (Read 2343 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Coloured sails
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:20:48 am »

Researching my next project of a Thames Barge, I notice that several had multi coloured sails with stripes incorporated.

Whilst I obviously know how to dye sails one colour, I wonder if anyone has any tips or guidance on how to incorporate multi colours
into a sail (remembering this is scale sail materials, not the glossy stuff the modern yachts use)

thanks
Andrew

bogstandard

Re: Coloured sails
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:42:06 am »

As you know on full sized sails they aren't made from one piece, so they can have things incorporated onto their sails.
If you are into sewing, you could just stitch them up with the different coloured panels.
Another way is to use wax (as in candle) or a liqid wax and paint it onto the sail before dying in the pattern that you want.
The principle is called Batik and you should be able to find out all about it on the net.

John

farrow

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:00:52 pm »

Multi stripe sails were used by the champion bowsprit class of Everads and LRTco, when the barges were taken out of trade and kept for racing only. Also the sail area was increased by nearly 50% over their trading sail gear size, but the speed was not appreciably increased but they did lay over a lot more than usual. Colour was dependant on where they were owned and who made the sail dressing, plus also their usual trade as cement barges had nearly black sails and Essex / Ipswich barges had a golden red brown colour compared to Kentish barges which had very dark colour.
If you are interested the secret ingredient to Eastwoods sail dressing mixture at Lower Halstow was reputed to be stale urine! I believe my mate peed into the Mirosias mix one year.

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:29:13 pm »

Urine was widely used to "fix" the colour in fabric dies. I believe the technical term was that it was used as a "mordant".

Roger in France.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 05:03:24 pm »

One or two model Thames barges already have stripped sails, I would suggest you contact someone from Association Of Model Barge Owners (AMBO) they should be able to help.
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.