The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Any Other Builds

Torpedo 850's

(1/3) > >>

2772e:
After my 3rd sea trials today with my new 850's. I thought i would have a good turn of speed. Perhaps not! 50mm 4 blade brass props and i still need more speed to get her on the plane properly.

I had 800's originally and thought at 9700 rpm the 850's woul be better.

Can you get bigger motors?

Any advise would be appreciated please.

johno 52-11:
Hi 2772e

Can you give us some more information about your boat what is it what size is it what voltage are you running on do the motors get hot.

You can get motors bigger than an 850 my friend Robert runs is 1/12 Severn on just to motors and gets scale speed you can see it on our website http://www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk
I know speedline are using 4 850's in the same size boat to get a good performance.

If the motors are not getting hot you could look at increasing the voltage, which would give you more RPM.

It took us a number of years of trial and testing to get the Severn right.

Regards

John

2772e:
Hi John,

Shes a 68 inch, 1/12th Vosper Rttl running with twin 12 volt lead acid, i need to play around with the battery location as well. Someone suggested changing to three bladed plastic 50mm.

The motors do get very hot, i have set up cooling rings but these were not in use today?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Simon

Stavros:
Right then shipmate the answer is quite simple had teh same problem myself with a Sea queen change your prop size to a 55mm 2 blade prop supplied by MFA with the case of the motors running hot obviously you have cooling coils fitted,add a MFA water/fuel pimp these are available cheaper than MFA from pandan models these only draw 400ma amps connect the motor wires to the + and - of the boat motors and this little beauty will pump at a speed in relation to your throttle as it will be controlled from your ESC I hope this will help Stavros

ukengineman:
I agree about the two blade props. Another thought is to save weight in the battery area. You could consider replacing the two 12V lead acid accumulators with a ten cell pack of the new GP 4300mAh NiMh batteries. Model Power amongst others will be selling them. Correct charging procedure is of course required.
Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version