Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: my smit nederland build  (Read 35401 times)

banjo

Re: my smit nederland build
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 08:07:53 pm »

Sorry Graham

I got the plans!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D

Captain Povey

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 08:10:59 pm »

Yes banjo I had a little chuckle about that myself.  ;)

banjo

smit nederland plans
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »

"We are on this earth to help others"

My questions is  "What are the others here for?"

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 09:15:23 pm »

Banjo Cor thanks for the vote of confidance
Meechingman see  new thread on stripping

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 10:18:48 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 10:29:40 pm »

OOPS now who got that one wrong  yes ME it should as Martin has pointed out have been PAINT STRIPPING sorry cant be right all the time ;)

Stavros

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 10:52:26 pm »

Thanks guys  O0 - I'll do all the double entendres about stripping in the shed with SWMBO - won't get me anywhere, except out in the shed!

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

MGrob

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 04:32:06 pm »

i need to paint the inside of the cabin/bridge, but havnt a clue which colours are true to scale....

any ideas?

Rob

Captain Povey

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 04:53:52 pm »

Sorry Rob, I haven't a clue about the colours in the cabin as mine was already done and I think is just white. To do it now would be a bit like copying the gynecologist who decorated his hall and stairs through the letter box. Cheers Graham.

MGrob

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 04:57:45 pm »

hehe  {-)

yea, the windows are not massivley big.... i have made mine so the top of the cabin removes, as does the top on whicth the whole cabin sits.

been busy priming, sanding, priming some more...well you get the picture  O0

Rob

banjo

smit nederland build Letter Box
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »

Rolls on the floor laughing!!!!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 06:40:36 pm »

hi found this web site that has happy hunter now smit hunter on it . It shows the inside of the wheel house hope it is of some use john
http://www.tugboats.de/index2e.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 11:14:21 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 09:08:57 am »

Thanks for that link, Martin.  O0 How the heck did I miss that lot!  :embarrassed:
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

MGrob

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 02:32:41 pm »

some really good pics there....will help me alot

nice one  O0

Rob

Captain Povey

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 09:10:56 pm »

Hello and seasons greetings to you all. Having had a good think about it and seen some other ideas I finally got down to fixing down the hatch on my Smit N. The first picture shows a 'beam' glued and screwed to the back of the hatch under the hatch deck. It is positioned so that when fitting the hatch, sliding it back places the beam under the rear deck of the hull and stops the deck lifting. I am not planning to tow so I think it will be sufficiently strong for normal use. I cannot claim the the next idea is mine but is the result of a discussion with a very nice gentleman on the Droitwich Spa Modelboat club stand at Warwick. He is also refubing a Smit N and we talked about the hatch fixing. I think I have done what he was suggesting, so I thank him for that. I removed the two winch pulleys fitted to the two uprights at the front of the superstructure, drilled and tapped them 4BA and fitted two long studs. I then drilled down through the uprights and refitted the pulleys. I then made two bent latches and lock nutted them to the ends of the 4BA studs. When the hatch is fitted a quarter turn on each of the pulleys puts the latches under the front deck. I am still dithering about sealing the hatch and think I have three main ways to choose from. The first, favorite for ease and simplicity (if I can find some tape) is to us freezer tape or similaras  has been suggested in an earlier posting. The second is I think mentioned in the 'Stavros builds a springer' where he describes using Silicon sealer and Vaseline or cling film to form a seal which is fixed to the hull but not the latch. So thanks for that Stavros however I am note sure how good I am with the sealer (you should see my bath) so I may have to practice a bit first. Thirdly I have found a PVC strip which is used on old cars where the wings are bolted on. Cut down it could be fitted in gap between the hatch and the deck. It is available by the metre from a company called Woolies at a reasonable price. The problem I have with this idea is how to accurately enlarge the gap to fit the seal. Suggestions are again more than welcome. Cheers Graham.  :)

banjo

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 09:47:30 pm »

I am looking at the latch mechanism and wondering if you would not get a tighter fit with those springy bits fitted the other way round?

banjo

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 09:54:30 pm »

I'm thinking that I might re design the deck access on my re furb; make it like my Tito, with a screwed down, water tight hatch and the day to day access under the main superstructure.  Then I could have a raised combing inside there and avoid this water problem.

Captain Povey

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:47 pm »

Hi Banjo, Yes I did think that the other way might be better but it did not seem to make much difference as they are not very springy. I think your screwed down hatch idea good and probably the safest. Please post some pictures if you do it. Thanks Graham. O0

banjo

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 10:19:45 pm »

Graham
Its a work in progress NOT
at the moment I'm waiting for a Kort and some other bits and pieces from Billings.  Then I can get the running gear in and think about fitting the deck etc.
I'm playing with a Kingston moulding Fire boat, a Tito Neri thats not completely finished and this shipwreck Smit as well.
Did I tell you that when I went to clear the dust and grime off it in the bath, the glue holding the deck on all gave up the ghost.  It turned out it had been fitted without the extra flashing been cut off. {-)   (Umi said it gave it more capacity when I told her)  so that all came off.
The 6 v Decaperms were loose in the hull, as well as the shafts and rudders, never been fitted.  Brand new and dusty.

Ah well it was my turn to have a lucky find!

O0

MGrob

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:32 pm »

Hi fellas,

not been able do much latey but started painting...

heres the progress.....paint still wet on the green so looks glossy, but used matt

Rob

banjo

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2007, 09:39:58 pm »

O0

Looking Good

O0

Captain Povey

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2007, 10:40:16 am »

Hi Rob, Well you have done a lot more than me at this time of year and it is looking good. Cheers Graham.  O0

MGrob

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2008, 05:45:20 pm »

now xmas out of the way i have had chance get the old paint out

coming along nicely but still loads to do  O0

Rob

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »

Hi Rob starting to come together now and looking real good.

Keep up the good work, Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.