Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubber strips  (Read 2130 times)

AlanP

Rubber strips
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:38:49 pm »

Having painted the hull of my Greamsay with which I am quite pleased, :) but now the rubber strips have to be stuck on.  The instructions say to use contact adhesive, I really dislike the stuff and seem to get in a heck of mess when using it and don't want to spoil the hull at this stage, so what is the best way to stick it to the hull in a nice straight line without getting glue all over the paintwork.  Does super glue spoil the paint if it gets on it?

Hoping for a nice easy answer to this one   {-)

Alan

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

Re: Rubber strips
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:46:09 pm »

The best thing to use is a superglue,rubber based contacts tend to be very messy,
 if you spill superglue on the paint though it will mark the paint, so you need to use a thick one or a gel non drip type,and only use a tiny bit,
 if you put too much on, you can get the white fogging around the bond if its very shiny paint, so if its very shiny ,its probably better to use thick odourless superglue

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:42:11 am »

I got a knife and scored the paint down into the plastic/wood. This way I was glueing to the hull directly, and not to the paint which may peel.

And I used gel superglue.

No misting and solid.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:10 am »

Alan,

I used Evo-Stick Serious Glue on my lifeboat. The fender is made of rubber, not foam and hasn't moved. It costs £5 a tube and is available from places like B&Q. It takes 24 hrs to set. No mixing required.  Also remains slightly flexible.

Terry.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:09:21 am »

If its going to get knocked and needs to be flexible then you could use flexy cyano, the rubberised CA glue, comes in black or clear types, you dont normaly get misting/blooming outside the bond on an open area but it always could happen with a CA, best if you dont use a lot then it wont bloom

AlanP

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:48:38 pm »

Thanks for all the info, cut off 2 short pieces to have a practice with glues that I have, (will probably be short now  :(  ) and it looks as though the gel type super glue is the way to go.

Will have a look for that Serious glue though Terry, coss I like the name   {-)

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.