Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TAMIYA ACRYLIC PAINTS  (Read 6761 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
TAMIYA ACRYLIC PAINTS
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »

Hi there everyone

A question for all of you people who use Acrylic Paint  :o

Since painting my new project; I decided originally to try using the Halford's spray paints - but, the only drawback I found with this was that I am unable to use any spray can with certain propellants in - due to the fact of certain health problemos.  Even when I a dressed up as a NASA space person it still knocks seven bells out of me  >:(  so, I have to rely on my son to spray on my behalf which is not always practical.

Keeping in then with the acrylic theme; I decided to follow the path of using Tamiya Acrylic Paints, and handpaint the rest of the model.  This is where - IS IT ME OR IS IT ONE OF THE DOWNSIDES OF USING ACRYLICS I am using a half inch flat bristled paint brush - apply the paint to the hull - paint an area of say 2'' x 1'' - go to reload the brush with paint; only to find when I come to try and blend in where I have just painted, it tends to drag and try to peel off the paint I have previously put on.   I have tried thinning down with water, unsure if this is the correct thinners  :-\ but to no avail.

The only other option I can think of, unless of course someone can come up with an answer, is that I have a 'Badger Air Brush' the very basic one.  I have never used this air brush as yet though.   I am wondering, would I achieve a better finish using this, even though I would have to rely on the compressed air cans for the time being - (for the air brush).

What are everyones thoughts on this?

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TAMIYA ACRYLIC PAINTS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:12:03 pm »

Tamiya paints are not brush friendly , they are too thin and dry very quick , only airbrush i'm afraid, and I would use proper Tamiya thiners too, water doesn't break down enough ( for me anyway ) the correct thinners is not expensive about £4.50 for a large plastic container full.

Hope its of use.  :)

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:58:11 am »

Bluebird

Did you ever paint with brushing Belco?  Same problem, the last stroke has skinnned as you do the next one.

Windscreen wash is a good thinner for Tamiya acrylics, but do try it first - the water/detergent/alcohol mix can coagulate some acrlyics (Humbrol, I seem to remember)

You could buy some cheap tubes of artists acrylics, and thin with acrylic medium (which is similar, I believe, to Tamiya thinner)

andrew

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:14:52 pm »

Do you use neat windscreen wash or is it diluted first? If so what sort of ratio?

Ta

Doug
Don't Assume Check

bigford

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:26 pm »

windex is a good thinner 

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:07:29 pm »

John,

Much as there will be any number of alternatives the only product specifically made for the job and therefore the best at it is Tamiya's own Thinners.  I would always advise using the right stuff for this as at least youy can then remove it from the equation when trying to identify a cause of a problem.

As you have discovered Tamiya acrylics are superb for airbrushing but tend to dry too quickly for some brush painting applications, especially on a large surface.

One of the easiest alternatives is Tamiya's range of acrylics in mini spray cans.  Very easy and efficient, you get a superb finish and nothing to clean up afterwards.  The downside, as you've already guessed, is that they are not cheap.  Humbrol have just introduced a similar range which might be worth having a look at as well.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »

Bunkerbarge sorry to say this but obviously you have not read Bluebirds post properly  As he has stated he can not use spray cans due to health reasons so why oh why do you go and then reccomend using spray cans.The mind boggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluebird try either Humbrol or even plasticoat both brush quite well

Stavros

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »

Bunkerbarge sorry to say this but obviously you have not read Bluebirds post properly  As he has stated he can not use spray cans due to health reasons so why oh why do you go and then reccomend using spray cans.The mind boggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluebird try either Humbrol or even plasticoat both brush quite well

Stavros

...because I assumed, obviously incorrectly, it was more the paint that was the problem, Bluebird did say it was only certain propellants that are the issue.

Apologies John, I hope you reasilse that my thoughts were well intentioned and that at least you understand that I was trying to help.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:44:04 pm »

THANKS for all of your replies  O0  I am going to go down the route of using the Tamiya paint thinners first - and I have just ordered some - I am going to try mixing this and have a go with me Airbrush.    Watch this space  :D :o

I am then going to try some of the alternatives, screen wash etc., and just see how it goes.

aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:51:34 am »

Bluebird,

Good luck with the painting! 

I didn't mean to say at all that they can't be brushed, if thinned appropriately - its just a question of speed, confidence and "keeping a wet edge"

For a base coat you could try diluting the paint heavily and applying with pad of cotton woool wrapped in cotton (like a french polishers rubber) - I always do this for aircraft (thinning with neat concentrated screenwash) to get a light but reasonably even base layer.

Acrlyics can be thinned very successfully with cellulose thinners - but this is not to everyone's taste.  It gives a very light, instant drying layer, and 3 or 4 coats makes a featherweight opaque colour coat.

Anyway, good luck and please let us know how you get on - and post the results, toooooo ;D
andrew

offshore1987

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:43:06 pm »

I have aload of these paints and what a waste of money lol

Never going to use them again...

Whats the best brush paint you guess use?

All the best

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »

For brush painting, I have yet to find anything to beat Citadel paints from Games Workshop - several coats thinly applied gives a pretty good finish - with Citadel "Purity Seal" on top brush strokes are virtually invisible.

Trying their new Foundation paints which give a much denser coat - limited range of colours but good for obliterating variations in the underlying paint. For instance light grey on top of black primerin only two coats.

I have tried Tamiya Acrylics - airbrush only and watch the adhesion - I haven't found it that good - lots of white flecks in the deck green after pulling off the masking tape

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Bowwave

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:30:43 pm »

I find Acrylic paints an aquired taste, so the speak. They seem to respond superbly well using an air brush but not so well brush painting. This may be on account of the setting time which is quick hence the reason you can follow up almost immediately with the next coat when air brushing. However thinners is based on Isopropanol and needs to be handled  with care. Unfortunatly the Tamiya range  is limited but  the quality of finish and coverage I find to be second to non.  WEM enamel  paints, on the other hand  have an almost endless range and  seem to be  both accurate in blend for a particular vessel and  work well with both air brush and brush.
Bowwave   O0

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:55 pm »

Have you tried Revells Aqua range? I found they airbrush and handbrush extremely well, don't smell and are thinned with water.
cheers Les

maso

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:19:06 am »

Well, I first use Tamiya's liquid surface primer, then I spray or brush over that with Tamiya acrylic, It seems to work fine, the paint really seems to stick and doesn't come off with the removal of masking tape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.