Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi all!! Model Selection,please help..  (Read 2509 times)

ManosGR

Hi all!! Model Selection,please help..
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:00:10 am »

Hi all.. Congratulations to the mods for this nice board..
I am a university student (electric and electrical engineering - mostly control) and i have to buy a ship model for a project..
My problem is that I am a total noob here, but i have to search for the appropriate model to buy, so i hope that asking here could help me..
I am looking for a r/c model of a commercial ship, tag, warship etc..(not a craft), with 2 propellers, 2 bow thrusters and a rudder..
It should be able to carry almost 3 Kg of extra weight and have a free area on the top around 15x15cm to place the electronics..
(I could free some area by not placing the upper parts and the bridge - though don't know if this is possible..)

In Greece there are available some models by AVIORACING and GRAUPNER. The GRAUPNER ones seem to be close to what i am looking for(neptun/sydney) but i would like some info about their quality.. Are there any other brands?

Finally, if anyone can give me a link of some e-shops with this kind of models would help me a lot(especially European)

Thank you, hope you can help me..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi all!! Model Selection,please help..
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:51:10 am »

Hi ManosGR

It may help a lot if you give us more info about your project and what you want to achieve. There are many engineers on this forum who may be able to help with the 'hows' of some of what you want to achieve.

You say you want to put electrics above deck.
What electrics are they?
What purpose do you want to achieve by doing this?

I ask as there may be a better ways to achieve your goal, that one of the forum members could suggest.

For example, if you wanted to show some of the components working, you could replace some (or all) of the decks and/or superstructure with clear perspex. You could also put LEDs in the circuits to show what is working etc.

Some ideas may not be practical due to the engineering limits of materials you are using. But by putting up ideas you will get good input from experienced builders on what can be achieved.

Other questions.
What is your budget?
How much time do you have? both your deadline and number of hours per week you can spare for build time. This will effect your choice of kit.

Do you need a ship model? An alternative would be to buy a GRP hull and put on only a basic deck and a bit of superstructure so she looks like a ship. It will not look like any ship that exists, but could meet the goals of the project. This would also be cheaper than buying a full kit.

Do you have access to tools, or do you need a complete kit, ready to build out of the box? If you are not aware you will still need to buy motors speed controlers etc. (forgive me if you already know this.

There are lots of companies listed in the traders directory on here that make hulls and do kits, and provide motors etc.
Link to traders directory http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Links/Traders_Directory.htm

Just a few thoughts and questions.

All the best with the project
TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:04:49 am »

Hi ManosGR
A shop with a good all round selection of kits would be http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/Model-Boat-Catalogue.htm

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:44:41 am »

http://www.modelslipway.com/aziz.htm

Just a thought.......nice big open deck at the back and fits all other criteria except the two bow thrusters, but you can always fit an extra one if you really think it's necessary (I don't think it is).

Suit yourself; a lot better value than Graupner IMHO.

FLJ

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:46:32 pm »

There is always http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk

they have a good selection of hulls which could do the job  O0

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Big Ada

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:12:43 pm »

Check out the Adverts in Model Boats www.modelboats.co.uk also www.traplet.com  for Marine Modeling International  magazines.
Is the Uni funding this project?  O0.

Len

ManosGR

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:09:31 pm »

First of all i want to thank you all for your immediate responses!

FullLeatherJacket your model is quite what i am looking for but i forgot to say that i am looking for one with electric motors. Sorry for forgetting to state that, my mistake.

The uni is funding the project and there is a budget of 1000 Euros top. There is not a clear deadline as this is only a part of the project, but i would like to have the model ready to run in like 2 months (maybe 15 hours per week). Considering the Christmas break I don't really have that much time to spend on constructing the model but from what i see i think that I will have to anyway.
I would like to have a full functional model (motor-wise) to be able to experiment later, but the goal isn't clear yet.
Now about the electronics. Though it is not really clear i suspect it will be used to get the yaw pitch roll values and store them.
Finally the hull idea might be just what i am looking for since i don't really care how the model looks, and I'd like to save some time, but i will have to look into it more..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:21:36 am »

Though it is not really clear i suspect it will be used to get the yaw pitch roll values and store them.

Hi Manos,
More things spring to mind.

1/ If you want to measure roll, then don't buy a model like a supertanker with a flat bottom as it will not roll. But if you want stability this is ideal.

2/ If you are using a data logger you need to think about weight. If the weight is too high up the boat may roll over. You will need to get your power source low down in the hull and allow for this when ballasting.
You also need to get the data logger as low as you can get it, but still allows you to capture the dat you need.

3/ if the data logger needs to be higher up then consider fitting a ballast keel, like model sailing boats have. This will stop her rolling over.

4/ If you don't care how it looks then buying a hull and just fiting a flat deck made from ply wood will give you a quick and dirty sollution that is also cheap.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 03:58:46 pm »

hi there here one though look at second hand boats. some times you get every thing you need thrown in the deal. Ebay a good place and remember if you see a boat you like but are not sure put a link up on the forum and you will get an honest answer. john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.