Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions that keep you up at night  (Read 8877 times)

bigfella

Questions that keep you up at night
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »

Hi All

I have a few questions that keep on coming back with no answers. Some times if I cant sleep at night I try and find the answers but still have not found any.

Q1: The World is made up of 70% water. Now water can be in many forms Gas, Solid and liquid and also mixed with other things and underground and even in living beings. Now the question is. Is there a given amount of water on the planet or increasing or decreasing or is it the same amount but just in different forms????????

I may have asked this question before but I can not recall.

Regards David

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Questions that keep you up at night
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:38:44 pm »

Why is abbreviation such a long word?

Rick

bigford

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:31:32 am »

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
that one keeps me up all night  :D

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:00:21 am »

Hi All

I have a few questions that keep on coming back with no answers. Some times if I cant sleep at night I try and find the answers but still have not found any.

Q1: The World is made up of 70% water. Now water can be in many forms Gas, Solid and liquid and also mixed with other things and underground and even in living beings. Now the question is. Is there a given amount of water on the planet or increasing or decreasing or is it the same amount but just in different forms????????

I may have asked this question before but I can not recall.

Regards David
hey david,
the amount of water is supposedly to remain constant, as the earth's environment is a homeostatic identity which according to some takes care of itself. that is why there is one school of thought amongst those who care for the environment, that anything produced by the earth will recycle itself, however that is another arguement. when you fly across the ocean or sail. there is alot of water out there.
our little boy asked us a while ago, will our house get flooded and we replied that, if it does then we had better buy a bigger model boat, as we are up quite high.
his concerns were brought on by items about global warming, I'm just wondering , after the last Ice age, di they call it global warming or ....ugh!

RipSlider

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:37:04 am »

Amount of water in the world is dependant on the amount of oxygen available. Oxygen levels vary slightly, and over the last billion or so years have risen slowly. This means that amount of water, or potential for water, has also risen slowly. Most, if not all chemical and nuclear reactions will eventually produce water at the end of them, so this Potential for water is very close to the actual amount of H20 available. So, over geological time scales, the amount of water has slowly increased.

Global warming has the potential to ADD a little water. Ozone is O3. when a free radical ( like the CFC's from old fridges ) interacts with the O3, it will turn into O2 and 0+. The O+ is highly likely to react with some hydrogen, to make a new molucule of water. The effect though is microscopic maybe a few cup fulls.

The amount of oxygen in the planet will also go up very slowly. Hydrogen is pretty easy to make, but creating "New", rather than, for example, converting it from CO2 ( where it already exists ) requires a nuclear fission to happen, and this is an incredibly slow process, as not a lot of fission sequences actually generate stable oxygen.

So, over time, the amount of water will go up. But only when you measure it on a scale of millions of years.

My question:
Muslims, Jews, Christians and Sikhs and Hindu's, which makes up the vast majority of the worlds religions, all worship exactly the same God head. All but the Sikhs recognise Lord as some form of prophet or having some attachment to god. All but some sects of the Hindu tribes recognise Adam and Eve, David, Abraham etc as real people in history, also linked to the Godhead to some degree.

So what exactly are all the people fighting in holy wars around the world, right at this second, disagreeing with eachother so much about?

Steve

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:33:17 am »

Hi All

Thanks for all your answers.

Steve. To answer your question in a simple form it is just human nature to think that your way is the only way. A bit like football supporters. My team is the best team. But it is not just different faiths that are fighting each other. Within each faith there are fighting factions. Christians have always been fighting each other Catholic and Protestants. Muslims are splintered into several differant factions who are waring against eachother. ..............................................................When will it stop my head is about to explode.

Keep your questions and answers coming. O0 O0

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:53:55 am »

Now here's a really insightful question - how long is a piece of string???? ??? (I hope this doesn't keep you awake at night, David).
A: Twice the distance from the middle to the end ;D I know, I know, Adam and Eve fell about laughing at that one, but it is a more sensible question than some asked by idiot reporters. For example, reporter to earthquake victim, "How do you feel about the earth opening up and swallowing your whole house?" Duh, how do you think he'd feel, but that is typical of some stupid questions asked by some reporters. :embarrassed:
Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:49 am »

Hi All

Thanks for all your answers.

Steve. To answer your question in a simple form it is just human nature to think that your way is the only way. A bit like football supporters. My team is the best team. But it is not just different faiths that are fighting each other. Within each faith there are fighting factions. Christians have always been fighting each other Catholic and Protestants. Muslims are splintered into several differant factions who are waring against eachother. ..............................................................When will it stop my head is about to explode.

Keep your questions and answers coming. O0 O0

Regards David

You also get mayhemers fighting with each other
Ho hum  ::) ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:46:55 am »

This keeps me pondering at night.

When you put your boat in the bath the displacement rises the water level YES, now if you took all the boats in the world out of the water would the water level be the same or would it lower ???  :D ???
a thought for the eco people who say the water level is rising all the time.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:58 am »

This keeps me pondering at night.

When you put your boat in the bath the displacement rises the water level YES, now if you took all the boats in the world out of the water would the water level be the same or would it lower ???  :D ???
a thought for the eco people who say the water level is rising all the time.

Jay

Hmm, rising sea levels due to Maersk and shiploads loads of cheap goods from China. :o
I can see the headlines now. ;)

Martin13

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:07:33 am »

Does that mean that we need to build larger model boats or just more of them.

Hmmm.........swmbo isn't going to like that >>:-(

Martin Doon Under

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:06 am »

David, there's a thing called meteorite flux. This is the mass of objects from space entering the atmosphere every year. Estimates place this fllux from around ten thousand to a million tonnes. Some reasonable fraction of this will be ice - so the physical amount of water on the planet would appear to be building up over time. However, a lot of vapour leaving the surface (from transpiration by plants, and evaporation from the oceans) is carried high into the atmosphere, where it's photo-dissociated by sunlight. The resulting free hydrogen atoms can combine with other hydrogen atoms to form the stable gas H2, and this will inevitably escape the atmosphere - with a low molecular weight, the Earth's gravity is not strong enough to keep a hold of it. So there's a net loss, too...and this is almost certainly larger than the influx.

That said, it's virtually stable over geological timescales, given the total mass of the Earth's hydrosphere.

Which brings me on to my final point: you mention 70% of the world being water - naturally this is just the amount of the surface covered. In real terms, the entire surface hydrosphere amounts to only about one four-thousandth of the Earth's mass. Estimates for water buried deep in the Earth (providing lubrication for plate tectonics and the like) may be as much as five times this surface amount.

Bet there's more info there than you needed!

Regards,

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

barryfoote

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 09:13:01 am »

Okay guys this is geting boring now. Having said that here is one to keep you awake, "How do they (whoever they are) know that 70 % of the earth is covered in water? and How do they know the amount is either growing slightly or staying stable.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 09:31:53 am »

Note on the geological timescale.

At one time planet Earth was de-gassed. It had and atmosphere then it lost all of its atmoshpere.

Nobody knows why.

djrobbo

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 09:41:38 am »

Hi guys...if we are to believe that water stays on the planet either as a gas,,,solid,,,or liquid , then that transpires that we are all drinking dinosaur pee !!!!!!!!!

question.........why is it that when you phone a wrong number its never engaged  ?

why is it that anything precisely machined to plus or minus one thousandth of an inch won't fit !!!!( sods law )

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 09:45:40 am »

Okay guys this is geting boring now. Having said that here is one to keep you awake, "How do they (whoever they are) know that 70 % of the earth is covered in water? and How do they know the amount is either growing slightly or staying stable.

Because they measured the hard bits and took the answer away from 100.

Then they do it again a few years later and if the hard bits are more then there is less water and if the hard bits are less then there is more water.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:08 am »

At one time planet Earth was de-gassed. It had and atmosphere then it lost all of its atmoshpere.

Nobody knows why.

I was taught at school that the planet is periodically subject to big sneezes - (maybe I didn't hear it quite right though.....)  :)

banjo

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 10:10:47 am »

Things started to go downhill when they invented the wheel

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 10:12:54 am »

Because they measured the hard bits and took the answer away from 100.

Then they do it again a few years later and if the hard bits are more then there is less water and if the hard bits are less then there is more water.

Never thought of it that way. Life seems better now!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:45 am »

Hi guys...if we are to believe that water stays on the planet either as a gas,,,solid,,,or liquid , then that transpires that we are all drinking dinosaur pee !!!!!!!!!

question.........why is it that when you phone a wrong number its never engaged  ?

why is it that anything precisely machined to plus or minus one thousandth of an inch won't fit !!!!( sods law )

How many times has thames water been though a Londoner? Many times more than the 37 times often quoted.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:04 am »

Things started to go downhill when they invented the wheel

And then somebody invented 'spin'

elmo

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:19 am »

Hmm, rising sea levels due to Maersk and shiploads loads of cheap goods from China. :o
I can see the headlines now. ;)

Personally I reckon rising sea levels are due to all the sunken ships

...... and water pollution, to all the dead fish!  ::)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 11:59:37 am »

I used to boil all my water before drinking it. Now I let the brewery do it for me.

Rick

PS Why is there only one Monopolies Commission

elmo

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 12:08:02 pm »

..... and why do Middlesbrough fans shout 'Come on Boro'...!' when its clearly spelt BROUGH (kindly take note DickyD!  ;) ) - and pronounced 'broe' as in 'hoe' or 'bruh' as in 'huh' depending on where on Teesside you emanate from - the posh end - or the not so posh end!  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 12:17:30 pm »

..... and why do Middlesbrough fans shout 'Come on Boro'...!' when its clearly spelt BROUGH (kindly take note DickyD!  ;) ) - and pronounced 'broe' as in 'hoe' or 'bruh' as in 'huh' depending on where on Teesside you emanate from - the posh end - or the not so posh end!  O0

Dunno, ask the guy on the poster in the bus stop (see jokes and humour thread).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.