Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Inlet  (Read 5477 times)

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Water Inlet
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:22:24 pm »

Hi Guys

I am new to this boating lark and know absolutely nothing about setup of the boat or water intake.  I would like to ask, please please, for help or pictures or posts.

I am running a Zenoah260pum engine with a water cooled exhaust pipe, a water pump and clutch.

the questions I am asking are:

a) Where does the water pipe go from the rudder into the boat
b) Where does it fit onto the exhaust pipe
c) What side does it go onto the engine
d) Where does it go onto the water pump
e) At what point does it leave the boat
f) How do I set the fuel up, is it an IV bag or a fuel tank and how does it go i.e inlet and outlet
g) and any other thing I havent mentioned as I am a total beginner.  Any help very much appreciated.

bigtee

Re: Water Inlet
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:13:15 pm »

the inlet from the rudder pick up goes to the ( righthand ) lower inlet on the black cooling head then out of the upper one into the exhaust pipe , either one , then out of the exhaust then out of the hull where you can see it
as for the water pump this will go inline between the rudder and the lower inlet on the black cooling head , i do not run a water pump myself but ones i have seen have flow direction arrow on them

hope this helps  , here to help tony  O0

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:36:53 pm »

Hi tony

thanks for your time and effort.  I will have a look at what you suggested.

Here is a pic if its any help

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:45:27 pm »

Hi mate as said in above post sounds about right ,i run two picckups on mine one seperate for the motor then another one for the header and pipe.this way im getting cool water to both equally,id suggest another piccup for your header and pipe,you can buy them that just hang off the transom.

bigtee

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:51:36 pm »

snoopy

does your exhaust have water nipples  on it ? not the cooling flange the tuned pipe if so you need to come out of the black cooling head into the lower nipple on the exhaust header out of the opersite one up into the top nipple out of the opersite one , back on yourself then into the pipe ( if it has cooling ) then out of the hull  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:19:32 pm »

heres how mine runs,i have a piccup from the rudder it runs directly to the bottom nipple on the water jacket on the motor then it runs out of the top one and straight out of the boat via a water outlet .the second piccup runs to the header flange then out the other side and into the pipe then out of the pipe and then out of the boat via a water outlet nipple.your pipe will have two o rings so when it slides onto the header pipe it seals and water runs between these two rings to cool the pipe.you can run one piccup as suggested but i prefer two as im not confident one is enough for a zenoah as they run high revs and high temperatures.I dont know of anyone who just runs one piccup to be honest as most ive seen or people ive talked to run two.

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:35:02 pm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the information guys.  It has helped a lot. The exhaust pipe has a hole either side, is this where I put the nipples in ? it has screw threads in the holes. Or is his just for fixing the u bend onto the pipe?

many thanks again

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:44:35 pm »

do you have a close up pic of it ?,sounds like it needs nipples is it like mine? heres a pic.does it have two o rings inside the end part ?.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:41:48 am »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the information guys.  It has helped a lot. The exhaust pipe has a hole either side, is this where I put the nipples in ? it has screw threads in the holes. Or is his just for fixing the u bend onto the pipe?

many thanks again

From looking at your photo,the tapped holes you refer to are cooling water in / out points.

What I do on my boat:

Rudder: pick up to motor lower point, then over the side.

Hull pick up: to the tuned pipe cooling jacket, then to the exhaust manifold, then over the side.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 12:55:37 pm »

Hi Guys

many thanks again

From looking at your photo,the tapped holes you refer to are cooling water in / out points.

What I do on my boat:

Hull pick up: to the tuned pipe cooling jacket, then to the exhaust manifold, then over the side.

Glenn

Thats interesting Glenn why to the pipe first rather than to the manifold then the pipe ?.

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 07:12:23 pm »

heres the pics just like u said mart

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 07:46:10 pm »

If you can imagine it all bolted up, this is the way I would run the water.....

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:12 pm »

Hi Guys

many thanks again

What I do on my boat:

Glenn

Thats interesting Glenn why to the pipe first rather than to the manifold then the pipe ?.

So the water that gets to the manifold is preheated and therefore not too cold and going to risk overcooling the motor in the exhaust port area. Just me martin.

Glenn

snoopy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 08:45:14 am »

thanks for the drawing on the pic Ian, it is excellent. Much appreciated

Thank you for your time and effort. Gives me a better idea

once again thanks

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 09:58:31 am »

so now your cooking with gas? all you need is two nipples hehe and some loctite  O0

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 10:20:18 am »

I have to admit that I change the way the water runs depending on the time of year. Beginning and end when the water is cold I go to the exhaust flange first and then cylinder. With 2 inlets I cool the pipe coupler by itself.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 12:44:42 pm »

Thats interesting never thought about that one ,is it really needed ? .

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 03:55:26 pm »

Don't know really, all part of my theory that we are overcooling our engines. I base this on the fact that the aircooled 260s, even with pipes, don't need the piston turned down to prevent seizure whilst PUMs do.
There is a "best" temperature for the cylinder and it is my belief that we are often under it. Until I have a means of measuring whilst on the water this is just theory....

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 01:42:12 am »

Correct. The water temperature now at the local lake is circa 8Deg. So that's why I am running a cold water set up. If it gets to 20 degress then I will change the way it runs, but not yet.

I have to run restrictors to reduce flow in the cooling lines to let the engine get warm.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:57 am »

theory sounds ok but i doubt you will see much if any diff in performance but who knows how would you know?.I doubt ill bother to be honest,i can see why a racer might try these things though.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 11:12:40 am »

Not just a performance issue, if the engine never gets up to its optimal temperature then you have accelerated wear, piston, cylinder etc.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »

ok so if thats the case why doesnt everyone do it?its the first ive heard of it thats all.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 02:28:32 am »

Hi Martin,

maybe some do and do not mention it!!

Best option is the one Ian adopts - when the ice forms, retire the boats for a few months!!

Ian is dead right on my logic behind the cold weather set up, and also there is some Methanol burning history and experience behind it too.

Think of it like this, if you are driving your car, and you see the engine temperature has not moved as your car has only gone half a mile or so down the road, you are hopefully not going to floor the throttle and thrash the engine, if you did do this, I imagine that you would anticipate trouble in the not too distant future.
Same with the model engines. More so on the Methanol as the nitro does not burn unless the engine is hot enough.

Comes down to mechanical sympathy.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 12:12:59 pm »

i can see where your coming from guys ive not run my boat for a few weeks so cant say if the cold has affected it yet though.Might get her out in the new year once ive moved the motor forward and removed the weight from up front.if its cold ill maybe change things a bit,would you suggest smaller tubing for the motor maybe to restrict some water flow?.the pipe is easy to change over its not like i dont have enough bloody tubing  {-).

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 04:59:18 pm »

If you want to try it there are a couple of options.

1. Insert a small dia section of brass tube into the cooling line to restrict flow.
2. As you suggested, use smaller diameter cooling line.
3. Pinch the tube with a tie wrap or similar.
4. You could go to one pick up, run through the pipe, to the header then round the motor, just for the cold weather. Lots of choice, and this last one still might needd restriction to work well.

Why not try to remove the weight from the hull first, then move the engine forward if it is required? Removing the weight will most likely free up the boat a lot and gain you considerable speed. Free performance!!

Getting closer to my magic 60 figure on the Panther now by the way!!

Glenn

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.