Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your general approach to using plasticard?  (Read 3048 times)

RipSlider

What's your general approach to using plasticard?
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:24:35 pm »

Hello all.

Just a quick question.

I'm really not very experienced in using plasticard, but have started a new build in it today.

The instructions for the kit are fairly clear, but there is a lot of edge joining which is a little tricky.

It would seem to be easy to build lots of small sub assemblies, and then glue these together, rather than following the instructions precisely. I'm just wondering if this is how most people do it, and make the build a little easier, or am I building in problems for myself when I come to glue everything up into the bigger structures?

Thanks

Steve

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: What's your general approach to using plasticard?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:38:13 pm »

I used plasticard for the first time on my fire tender and the only thing I would say is to go and get a few different glues and play with scrap and find the glue you like the best and how much to use , my first attempts where more of a dunk . any shinny bits hit with wet and dry to remove the shine I found this helped . small engineers squares are good and small spring clamps just till it sets , I found that a few spots to tack a few bits together then run the glue when happy it will go in with capillary action, and don't rush .

Peter

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:45:24 pm »

Steve
Lawrie White has put some very useful tips about working with this material on the Model Slipway website. You can't but learn by having a shufti at it.
FLJ

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:42:38 pm »

I'd advise not to use a tube of 'plastic' cement. It is virtually uncontrollable when you want to join pieces of card together and too much will come out and invariably, seep through the join.

Far better to use the liquid plastic cement. It dries quicker and is far easier to apply.

Other than that, dry fit pieces and hold together with tape until you glue. Make sure all edges are straight and the 'burr' which comes on the edge of the card when you cut & snap it apart is properly rubbed down or removed with the edge of a Stanley type knife.

Oh and get a decent cutting mat. One of the green self sealing type with printed on squares are great.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:00:16 pm »

Some good tips here...

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/faq-plasticard.htm

I've bought from him via eBay, and had good service.

RipSlider

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:11:05 am »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Couple of further questions:

1) When looking at the instructions, it seems very much like "make a series of flat sections, then glue 13 vertical things on, then do the next layer of flat stuff, then do the next layer of vertical stuff etc etc etc".

I'd find it much easier if I did the build in a different set of steps, so I made some smaller, self supporting structures ( making it much easier to glue and jig up ) and then joined these small bits together. Is this a recipe for disaster, or is it OK?

2) for things like hidden supports, load bearing struts etc, I would much prefer wood to using layers pf plasticard glued together, as the instructions for the kit state. None of these would be visible, just internal in the hull and superstructure. Are there any issues using wood, if I use a cyano glue?

Thanks

Steve

bigford

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:18:55 am »

steve 

i like to sand my edges to get a rough surface for the super glue and
 tenx-7r to bite into with the  capillary action

Big Ada

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:12:52 pm »

For those of you scratchbuilding with Styrene (plasticard) a cheap alternative to the solvent sold at model shops is to go to a Plumbers Merchants and ask for plastic waste pipe cleaner, not the solvent adhesiveit works the same but is less than half price!!

:)  Len   :)  Ex Plumber.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.