Masterclasses > FAIREY SWORDSMAN - A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS

THE FAIREY SWORDSMAN - A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird

<< < (5/5)

John W E:
Now we move on to the only bit of ‘hardware’ construction and that is for the hatch catches.  These were made from an old piece of stripped brass, which I salvaged from an ‘old’ alarm clock a while ago, a piece of 4mm tubing and 2 pieces of brass rod.    I did all the soldering for this with a 25 watt electric soldering iron.   Yet again, there is a picture of the catches.   Funny enough, the most difficult thing to source was a spring, it says on the plan, SPRING FROM A TYRE VALVE INSERT so the car has two flat tyres now with now valves.  :)   These two catches were fitted to the rear cockpit hatch and also the cabin roof hatch.   With that bit of hardware finished with, the next stage now, is to make with scrap pieces of balsa wood, all the luxury fittings – the four seats – instrument console for the steering wheel – the cabin door – the air intakes on the side also the cabin top grab rails.

The stage I am at now, I am putting an undercoat on.   I have left this out of the build because the topic of finishing and painting has been well covered on this forum by people with far greater knowledge on the subject than myself, and, another way of looking at it - my skills in painting have been classed as 'I come from a school of art run by Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder' doesnt that say a lot for my painting skills.  :D :D

There are a couple more photographs to go on this Forum of the finished boat and I DO HOPE THIS ENCOURAGES SOME PEOPLE to have a go and build from a plan.

I have thoroughly enjoyed building this.   Please keep it in mind, that it is built straight from the Plan.   I have not amended any building techniques or building sequences.

Also, at a later date, like all good films I will put on some COCK up photographs - oooops I put that bit on wrong.

HOPE YOU HAVE ENJOYED THIS BUILD.

aye
john e
bluebird

The original plans came from Model Boats Magazine - I believe in about the year 1852  :P  The plans and article in the Magazine were written by our very own FLJ.    I have just had a quick check on the Model Boats website and am unable to locate the plans, so, I dare say, if you ask in a nice manner - our very own FLJ will possibly be able to supply the plans.   I only have the article also written by FLJ for finishing the hull.

FullLeatherJacket:
Here's one I made earlier.........a LOT earlier!

Bl00dy g00d show, John! Much better than the original article.  O0

Martin13
I think SLEC list the Liteply in these sizes, but I guess carriage to Oz would be a bit of a problem. I also seem to think that your Customs won't let anything wooden into the country (which rather scuppers any holiday plans I might have had!).

FLJ

John W E:
Hi all

I am near enough finished now, just need to give her a coating of satin varnish.   I have had in the bath for 'sea trials' bit concerned, is a NiCad pack supposed to get that HOT you can fry bacon and eggs on it  {-)

Ive awaiting a new motor which is on its way, plus prop - these are those that are recommended on the plan.

I had a disastrous week-end really - whilst I was doing the original posting, I thought I would be a clever person and put it all in word first - along with photographs with captions and soforth.  When I came to actually download it all, I had all the documentation but the photographs were nowhere to be found in the folders.   To cut a long story short the computer, over the week-end spat its dummy out - so I downloaded a 'freebie' Spybot - it spybotted the computer all right - I have lost the lot all my build files for all my models, the lot! never to be seen again I am thinking - bummer.

Nil Disparandum!

Anyway, thank you all once again for the kind comments etc., but, what really will make us all happy on this Forum if a newbie comes on here and says 'Look what I have made - through the help of all the members on the Forum'.   That will be the day, we can all give ourselves a pat on the back.

aye
john e
bluebird

John W E:
Well, Ive stood at the 'freezing' lake today, to give her a test.   I must confess, I chickened out and changed the prop from an S45 down to a smaller 3 blader  :)  I gave her sea trials and she is QUICK!!!! Very quick and very manoeuvreable  :D :D

See for yourself  O0

aye
John e
bluebird
(glad to be back in the warm!!!!)

Martin (Admin):

Please post your questions and comments here::
Q & A - A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird

(Please don't post here, they will be moved.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version