Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Case  (Read 2191 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Display Case
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »

Next year I am going to build a static sailing ship. (Billing Bluenose) so not too big.
I was wondering about a dust protector, a bit like the fish tanks that have been glued edge to edge.
My local B&Q do large sheets of 'perspex' Has anyone tried this material glued edge to edge? - is it even possible? what adhesive?
I like the idea of the simplicity - no wooden surrounds, just sitting on a simple plinth.

Colin

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Display Case
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:22:21 pm »

I've not tried sticking this stuff, but be warned that it is very easily marked - scratches if you look at it in my experience.

Barrie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »

Go to your local glazer and ask for some glazing plastic - I THINK its called lexan.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:27:38 pm »

I'll agree with barriew,
In the past I built a case over some dolls (no frames) then did the same with glass and the cost was only just over half the cost of perspex and it lasted (I think to this day)

Oh and the weight was not much different as I had to use thicker perspex to get the rigidity.

R,

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 05:33:58 pm »

I have a static model of HMS Victory which was resently cased by Bill (Dont know his last name and have lost details of his web site). He did a great job at a very reasonable cost, including delivery. Pop him an email and he will give you a no obligation quote. Email to: bill@col-uk.com

I have attached a photo of the cased Voctory as an example.

chingdevil

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:43:02 pm »

I would say that the glass option is the better one, some plastic sheeting like polystyrene discolour in sunlight and even a duster will start to put minute scratches in them. If you are worried about breakages, get the glass toughened then if the worse should happen it will break like the unlaminated windscreens lots of squares not shards.

Why not make your own? You just need some copper tape, solder, flux and a big soldering iron.

Brian

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 06:27:55 pm »

Sorry Brian, but although it sounds interesting, I havn't a clue what you are talking about.
What is copper tape, and how do you ..............?
Any chance of a build description?
I really am interested.

Regards
Colin
Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:33:03 am »

I'mback from holiday and jumping in with both feet again.

Plastic cases, the 'Perspex' (ICI trade name) or more correctly ACRYLIC type materials look good when new but do scratch easily and yellow with age due to UV discolouration and  are glued together with a 'TENSOL' (trade name ) type of adhesive which very effectively bonds the surfaces together.Before the easy availability of this type of glue we used to use CHLOROFORM to stick it together. Oh the Elfin's would have a Field day. 'LEXAN' (think it's a GE trade name,Alzheimer's memory) or POLYCARBONATE sheet, is relatively more expensive but does not mark as easily, but can still be SCRATCHED,- look at the 'Vandalproof' bus shelters. Glued with polyurethane type adhesives. Another material on sale in B&Q type outlets is clear High Impact Styrene sheets - cheap greenhouse glazing material, cheap and hopeless for display cases,BUT the thinner sheets are ideal for window glazing on our toy boats.
      All three materials can be cut with steady strokes of a fine saw blade, but both perspex and styrene can 'crack' if you try too hard, polycarb is 'softer' and more forgiving. for best gluing, like other plastics, clean square edges. For longevity and clarity it's got to be glass, just make sure visiting anklebiters are kept on a short CHOKER chain, s4d 'He only wants to look'.
      regards Ian

Moderated - Admin
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.