Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: omra RIPTIDE  (Read 3741 times)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
omra RIPTIDE
« on: July 23, 2006, 05:28:41 pm »

im a regular buyer of model boat magazines and flicking through my april issue of model boats i came across a picture of one John Smith with his OMRA power boat Riptide

i really really like the shape of the boat and would like a hull the same or like it for a cruiser style fast electric or maybe i might go nitro with it  :-\

if anyone has more pictures of the Riptide hull please post them up for me to drewl over  ;D
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: omra RIPTIDE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:31:33 pm »

Hi J B,

This is a very large hull, and not really suited to electric power.

The one you were looking at, I think is fitted with a 25 cc petrol engine. (Could be a couple of cc either way)

Try the OMRA web site. There is at least one more picture on there.

There have been a couple of used hulls for sale on ebay, but I don't know what they sold for.

If you've not already spotted it yet, there is a picture of one posted under the next topic to yours.
'Wow I want one'

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:26 am »

cheers for that i didnt spot the picture i the other topic ;D

didnt realise they had such a large cc engine in them,
so going electric is a bit ot of the question.
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 01:20:26 pm »

You could maybe try the Miami 55 which can be purchased from Prestwich model boats.
As the name implies the Hull is 55" stern to bow.
Mine runs a tuned 26cc petrol motor with surface drive. (Approx 7BHP) Goes quite well.

Glenn

ids987

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:12:44 pm »

im a regular buyer of model boat magazines and flicking through my april issue of model boats i came across a picture of one John Smith with his OMRA power boat Riptide

i really really like the shape of the boat and would like a hull the same or like it for a cruiser style fast electric or maybe i might go nitro with it  :-\

if anyone has more pictures of the Riptide hull please post them up for me to drewl over  ;D
The Riptide - like all John Smith's work is a very nice piece of fibreglass work. It's a fast-running hull, and is also used with somewhat smaller nitro engines. It has been run quite extensively in OMRA B class (.67 or 11cc) - with varying degrees of success. It's pretty fast, and quite a handful in the rough with a good .67, and I reckon it would do a respectable speed with a good .45. I'm not sure how this translates into modern electric motors, but just to try and give some perspective. As I implied though, the handling is not great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.