Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Flower class corvettes  (Read 11378 times)

Daryl

Re: Revell Flower class corvettes
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:42 pm »

John Lamberts book on flower class corvettes covers the various camoflauge schemes used and on which ships at various times in their careers. There are numerious drawings in the book detailing the patterns and colours used.

Daryl

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 03:35:30 pm »

Hi Shark Bait
try
http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/naval/Flower_Class-Corvettes.htm
for some schemes - there are probably links to other pages with more information.  One of the German ones would be a bit different.
I assume that you were looking at the superb 1/48 one opposite A Model World's stand, and not mine.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

shark bait

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 09:01:48 am »

Thanks for the link. Can't wait to get painting!

ron h

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 09:54:38 pm »

Well Guys, Here,s mine on the water , but its not a REVELL

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

warspite

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 07:31:05 pm »

Hi mines - 24 years old now one of the matchbox types, built using that clear acetate strip that came with it and several tubes of model glue, ie glue the joint then apply glue over the top sandwiched between the hull and the acetate. has not fallen apart yet touch wood, brass prop 6-8" long has a decaperm 6V motor and i use two 'titan' 6v motors for ballast / power, never did like the guns so replaced the rear gun with a airfix bofor's (since reading the anatomy of a ship book by john roberts - a very good reference book for options/drawings by the way - they carried what ever was available / aquired), though not strictly to scale i use two 50mm browning machine guns from 1/35th scale tamiya jeeps.

In the early days she ran on a smaller motor run on 1.5v 'C' sized batteries - oh the follies of youth, didn't do to bad in a competition though. has sunk once in a local lodge, sunk by the weed wrapping round the prop and dragging her down, and has had several attempts to get the running gear to work properly without success (still needs sorting), she usually only runs for twenty minutes before giving up, good scale speed though.

Most of the body comes off to allow easy access (cause i am lazy and dont want to struggle getting things in and out). Properly ballasted she took 75mm (3") waves on the lodge and provided she stayed into the waves, did not take on much water, so quite a good starter boat for a bigginer.

Has been displayed at the ellesmere boat show some years ago when i was a member of the North West Model Boat Club, along with my 1/72 scale German 'S' boat which has much of the same problems (trouble with being a office jockey and little engineering/electronics experience).
At the same show i counted 47, yes 47 flower class corvettes one or two 1/48 scale and several whalecatcher/ earlier versions, but the majority were snowberry types.

phil

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 09:30:08 am »

Have just about finished making the Revell kit and am now looking for a model club in Southampton area . Anyone help?
Have used 3in 1 oil in prop shaft but still get water in any ideas.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ambernblu

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 09:39:07 am »

... hiya, there are a couple of threads on here already relating to the oiling of propshaft problem/solutions - check them out....

I think most agreed on a teflon/silicone based grease. Cheers, Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 10:53:25 am »

Can anyone tell me whether it is alright to run the R/C antenna around the hull or should it be run up the mast.

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 11:41:30 am »

I ran mine up the funnel after trying running it around the hull and found slight interferance.

Daryl

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:16 pm »

Working on the theory that indoor ariels don't work as well as outdoor one's I aways try and get the ariel somewhere up a mast or superstructure  :P
                                                                                          Cheers
                                                                                              Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 04:47:31 pm »

... hiya, there are a couple of threads on here already relating to the oiling of propshaft problem/solutions - check them out....

I think most agreed on a teflon/silicone based grease. Cheers, Brian

Thanks Brian
Any idea where I can get it? Model shops in Southampton dont do much for model boats so I shall probably have to get it on the interweb [note I have mastered this computer jargon]. Southampton a city built because of its docks and shipping !!??
Cheers Richard

ambernblu

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 06:36:20 pm »

.... I would suggest you try your local Halfords or similar store - they must stock a cycle grease with Teflon or Silicone which should be what you are after - unless you can find something similar on ebay for a reasonable price maybe??

Its good value anyway as its virtually indestructible - and lasts a very long time! I've still got my little tub going strong, so don't need to chase around for any at the moment... Hope you find some to suit your purposes, regards. Brian

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 02:01:54 pm »

With aerials, the higher the better, but also you have to bear in mind that "the further away from the motor wiring, the better".  A badly suppressed motor directly under the aerial will give poor range due to interference.  A aerial laid around the deck away from the motor will work very adequately, especially if the motor is properly supressed.  If you have full control over the range offered by your sailing water by whatever method, you will have the right method.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

Can anyone tell me if expanding foam has any adverse affects on the plastic hull other than using to much.
                                                                                                                    Richard

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 02:25:29 pm »

The bow of mine is filled with foam and this is probably useful.  Threads on the subject elsewhere have indicated a possible problem if the stuff should "wake up" again on a warm day - I have used the foam mostly to be a mount for a speaker enclosure as it is easy to cut shelves out.  Should the re-expanding happen, it will have somewhere to go without spreading the hull and deck apart.
A problem I did find when using it on a yacht was that although the hull will be incapable of sinking, the space left fills very rapidly should any water find its way in.  Of course, I only sail the yacht when there is enough wind for it, which usually means quite lumpy water.
A cheaper alternative is to use very partially inflated balloons - just blow them up enough to give some shape and push as many into the space as will fit easily then tack a plasticard sheet in as a retainer.  After a while (a year or two) the balloons will fail, but at about 1p a go they are cheap enough to sacrifice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.