Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman 31  (Read 4982 times)

mark

Fairey Huntsman 31
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:20 am »

Hi
  Well after a 2 year lay off i have decided to re-enter the world of model boats.Last time round i built a Huntsman 31 from the precedent 42" fibreglass hull kit which i powered with two MFA 850 motors and super detailed the superstructure.
I really want to build another of the same but i dont want to use the Mfa motors again as they really didn't have the performance i was looking for.
Can someone recommend decent motors to get a model of this size up on the plane or would i be better with the 36" version and brushless motors.
I will be fitting 2 motors and shafts as per original.
By the way the last time i built one i threw away the superstructure and replaced it with plasticard due to the poor quality of the wood.
I dont want to put a ic engine in as Kirklees model boat club have a no ic rule
Any advice before i make a purchase greatly appreciated
Yours Mark

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
Re: Fairey Huntsman 31
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:36:51 pm »

Hi Mark
          A good friend of mine has a  28' huntsman @ 42" long. He powered his with a single graupner 850BB turbo, single shaft 45mm standard 2 blade prop running 18 volts. Performance? FANTASTIC  {-) I hear what you say about running twin shafts, just don't fall in to the power/ weight trap is so easy to do with performance power boats  O0  With models you have to compromise to get the results you want.

Regards Rob.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 06:45:48 pm »

Hi mark,

The other problem with a deep V model boat is that in my experience they tend to lift the prop on turns causing cavitation. With twin props, this problem will be worse as the prop on the outside of the turn will be nearer to the water line when turning.
Only my opinion.
Bob

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:24:16 am »

Hi All
      Bob F has made another valid point, V hulls do rise up on the turn. Back to props I think it was 45mm OR WAS IT 50mm. What I do know is start with a 45mm and work up in size. It's allot cheaper than buying motors  O0

Regards Rob. 

Barry Boy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »

Hi All
Just finished my fi-glass 46" Huntsman and fresh back from the pond
I have installed 2x Johnson Darke horse motors in mine as these are running 16 cells per motor on 55mm bronze props ( Prop Shop)
And I must say i was well impressed with its performance straight up on the plane
my playtime lasted around 30 mins  (not flat out all the time)   until I hit the submerged tree branch!!! and sheared the splines on one of the drive couplings
Fortunately that was the only damage
Regard's
Barry boy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.