Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zenoah G260 PUM  (Read 3785 times)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
Zenoah G260 PUM
« on: December 10, 2007, 04:50:25 pm »

So what temp should this engine be running at in full race trim?

Thanks Chaps

:-\
Rubbin is Racin!

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Zenoah G260 PUM
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:01:08 pm »

Is your motor standard or has it been tuned for enhanced performance?

Glenn

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:22:33 pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention, standard
Rubbin is Racin!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:34:24 pm »

Taken from the writings of Scott Schneider, a motor modder on Jims, remember he is talking °F...

"Actually, most of my temperature monitoring is ON THE CASES ....
It is very difficult to actually gage operating temp at or on the cylinder because of the water cooling.

Because engine is mostly cast aluminum and it conducts heat so well, the temp of the cases gives a very good indication of overall temp engine is operating at

I try and keep cases up around the 150 /180 degree range knowing the actual cylinder is even hotter .... Heat within reason is NOT a bad thing.

Keep in mind as more heat is retained within cases / crank, the more heat is absorbed into the air/fuel mix enhancing fuel atomization.

Food for thought"

and

"Keep in mind that these SAME Zenoah engines in a AIR COOLED configuration run in excess of 350 degrees !!
Also air cooled spec engines running at these higher temperatures do so for 1000's of hours in industrial applications."

Not everyone agrees but it is a starting point....

This is the thread http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=10040&page=2

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:28:11 pm »

I tend to run mine so the crankcase is at the temperature where you can touch a finger on for about 4 seconds before it gets burned. Around 60 deg celsius.

I have a standard and also a tuned Zenoah, run both the same, the tuned one needs a bit more cooling to maintain temperature, which stands to reason really.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:12:45 pm »

I tend to run mine so the crankcase is at the temperature where you can touch a finger on for about 4 seconds before it gets burned. Around 60 deg celsius.

I have a standard and also a tuned Zenoah, run both the same, the tuned one needs a bit more cooling to maintain temperature, which stands to reason really.

Glenn
How accurate are your fingers for testing temp Glenn  ;D,reading all that that Ian posted it seems its not that critical ? if an air cooled motor runs at such high temps why cant the water cooled one?can someone explain this to me in plain English?.Also how many people actually check the temp of the motors when runn ing? especially when racing ,im sure some do but how about the majority?.

bigtee

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:21:16 pm »

mart

i do  :)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:49:25 pm »

I think you will find the answer to your question is, the majority do check engine running temperatures.

In actual fact, finger testing is suprisingly consistent, accurate enough for what I am using it for. Plus I get my finger recalibrated every 6 months.

Don't forget to take your gloves off first if you are going to try it, otherwise you will cook your engine!!

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:25:18 pm »

so long as i got water coming out the outlets that will do for me i dont like burnt fingers  O0.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.