Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build  (Read 39816 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2008, 07:59:03 pm »

I have finally completed the control module for the electronics.

The unit consists of three 15 amp speed controllers which are fused. A 5 volt supply for the R/X and servos. Two of the speed controllers are on 12 volts and one is on 6 volts. There is a four way switcher from AcTion on the rudder control which switches four circuits on and off.

The box presents Futaba sockets to the outside connections and should be interchangeable between models. The 12 volt and the 6 volt batteries plug directly in via more fuses. The R/x is surrounded in earth material which has been removed for the picture. All in all, it's a tight fit inside, so no room for extras.

There are indicator LEDs for all the circuits on the outside, which will indicate a blown fuse, so there is no need to remove the lid at the lake. 

Hopefully this should reduce the wiring needed between boats.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »

Motor mounts glued as a separate fittings, and now glued into the hull. The motor is fitted to rubber bushes and slides down into slots comfortably.

I connected up the motor and adjusted for silent running with no vibrations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2008, 02:39:10 pm »

Time for the winter Bath

The model floats with no leaks (phew !)

I'm working on the ballast.  So far there are seven lead acid batterries fitted and it's still not down to the marks. When weighed the total boat it came to 44 LBS.  Getting quite difficult to lift her out of the water.  I removed the batteries and it made lifting her easier.  I've found some rolls of lead left over from the roofing job and plan somehow to cut and fit this inside the hull, nice and low down.

You can see by the sideways fit in the bath that she is quite a length. When her stern is on the floor, the Bow comes up to my shoulders.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »

The mast is now wired up with three white lights facing fo'rad.  I had to cut a groove in the timber to bury the wiring. This is now filled with P38 and is drying.

Looks like a bit of sanding smooth is coming my way again.   8)

The picture also shows the bench drill recently aquired from Aldi for only £35. Nice machine this. Very quiet and powerful.  See bargain buys dept.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »

Bloody hell Ken, She is enormous. You could do with a bath like the one I used for Lady T. Ha ha ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:18 am »

Thanks,... you noticed.  ;)

SWMBO was standing behind me all the way. Mutterring something about  " my precious bath ".  A tension rid experience I must say.   ;D ;D

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2008, 10:26:11 pm »

Bulwarks time..   8)

Got them laid out like sailing ships in the sunset.  Nice design in that you make your own side pieces and they supply little angled feet to fit the deck. All very smart. Would you believe, this took all day to make and fit.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2008, 10:33:37 pm »

Also notice the rows of rivits. These came in little strips and each one individually cut to fit the gap.  Might try ordering extra strips for the outside hull. I wonder if they sell them separately?

Started on the railings. I've dropped the original castings and purchased brass stanchions from Westbourne's. The supplied 1mm bars are not very long. This brings problems of a join or two in the run. Will research longer bars, I think.

My 1mm drill finally snapped. Not through drilling as you might expect, but putting it down on the bench while it was still running. Ugh!! where do I get a replacement.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2008, 10:51:19 pm »

Drill bits Ken:  http://www.expotools.com/

Look under MINIATURE POWER TOOLS & ACCESSORIES then Twist Drills 22,23,24 & 33

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2008, 11:18:10 am »

Thanks Richard. Just the place.

Probably spend more than I thought, with all those lovely tools.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2008, 11:30:58 am »

Resprayed the lovely primer again  (I do like like this paint. It sprays and covers well)

Every time, the little imperfections gradually fade away.

The mast is wired up with three lights and top coated in Bronze. I thought it came out rather well.  SWMBO thinks I'm mad, spending four days on a bit of wood.  ;)

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2008, 06:52:25 pm »

I've got my 1mm drill.   (in fact, I've got a couple !)

I was in the shed today, but it was really cold, so I've come back here to catch up with what's going on. 

The next stage is the black top section to be sprayed. I've got the divider tape on in the right place and sprayed the edge to stop bleeding (thanks for that Stavros. A tip worth knowing)

I know we've covered spray varnish, but I can't find the reference. What type came out best please.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »

Had a go at the old spray paint today.

I've done the sides and poop deck in Black Satin so now it's time to cover with the imitation wood planking.  (I may change to real wood later)

Superglue was used to stick it down,  as a test piece, done last week came apart with great difficulty, so I'm happy that it will stick OK.  Time will tell.

I've placed the mast in, but it's not secured yet, as it appears to tilt in a drunken fashion to starboard.  rather like me, as I've had an excellent wine to celebrate the deck laying.  Like a topping out ceremony.  8)

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2008, 09:22:24 pm »

Ken if I was you I would CAREFULLY run my finger along the join line between red/black just to settle the hard edge down when you demask the hull.PERSONALLY I would have demasked after half an hour and done as above.

MAKE SURE YOUR FINGER IS CLEAN AND DRY

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2008, 08:09:57 pm »

Well it's been three busy weeks since my last posting.

All the little parts had to be cleaned up and smoothed and prepared for paint. There are over 20 bags of mouldings and probably over a thousand pieces. I have made cardboard trays for each colour needed, and marked the sections to keep track of locations on the boat.

Here are a few of the trays being painted. First, one side with undercoat, then left overnight, then turned over and undercoat the other side. Then top coat of different colours per tray and leave to dry whilst moving the house furniture around for new carpets to be fitted. I'm supposed to be retired !!, but am working longer hours than before. (love it really)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:27 pm »

Meanwhile, I got on with putting the top deck parts on the boat.

Here are my efforts so far. The main cabin is undercoated and the fore deck is almost complete. I have a hinged door on the front section and two hinged doors on the little toilet at the stern.

The mast is lit up along with the fore deck cabin and is driven by LED's in parallel from the 6 volt battery. It's so secure that I can lift the boat with it. Probably won't be able to do that when the 40 pound ballast is on board.  ;D

Stavros

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2008, 12:30:07 am »

Ken thats one heck  of a tidy boat you got there

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

Thank you Stav.  I'm really trying with this one. It's a real pleasure to make, apart from the lack of actual instructions.

I've had the good fortune to get in touch with Jim Cowles, who built the same boat, and is featured on Mayhems front page, build section.

He has kindley provided me with photo's of the parts locations, and it's a great help to a duffer like me. I doubt if I could have made her as complete without extra information. I'm hoping my build feature will assist others, should they decide on this craft. You should see the names they give every part on the boat. Sort of thing you read about in folklore.  ;D

Had a bit of fun with the painting yesterday. Tried the white aerosol outside in the wind and cold. Big mistake........ Couldn't see it going on, so went closer and it all started to run !!.  I rushed the cabin back inside and furiously spent time rubbing the wet stuff off. What a mess. Almost in tears, so decided to leave it to dry. Had a look just now and its all dry. Will have to wet,n,dry it smooth before proceeding again.

So much to learn about painting, Stavros, that I envy you your trade. Must get back to her now. Didn't sleep well last night for thinking about it. Wish me luck

Cheers...Ken

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2008, 10:40:06 am »

Kenny i'm away till early next week but i'll scan in a set of plans for the net along with a how to make for you to the right scale for your model
Davie Tait,
Scotland

barryfoote

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:07 pm »

Ken,

She really is lookind great. An example to us all of dedication and alot of skill. I can't wait to see her finished.

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »

Thanks David. Nearly ready to go fishing. 8). I'm putting on the Gallows now. Got a bucket full of trawl boards ?? Don't know where to stick them.

Thanks Barry. Full time job this un  ::).  At every turn, there's another problem. I'm really proud of the little toilet. Swinging doors eh!  that'll lead to trouble on board.

Done the White coat, Stavros. came out allright in the end. I'm planning on covering half with thin plywood left over from Aziz's deck and also laying a patterned planking to the cabin roof. I had another problem today with the beautifully red sprayed funnel. The wind blew it over onto the cloth and all the hairs stuck to the paint. AGHH!   I dried it with the hair dryer and then wet,n,dry sanded it back smooth. Will paint tommorrow as I was not in the right frame of mind to continue.

Latest pics.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:10 pm »

I've tried out a bit of veneer around the cabin and on it's roof today. It's a bit bright and new looking so I shall stain it a bit darker. I've also fitted some little bits and it's starting to look the part.

Also managed to apply some red colour to the funnel, and fit the air vents. Had a go on the lifeboat and undercoated her my nice oxide paint. (I do love that stuff)  8)

kit1947

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2008, 08:51:47 pm »

Thats a beaut model you have there Ken.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2008, 07:44:29 pm »

I didn't like the short wood veneer around the cabin, so off it came. I have now fitted a wider piece to go up to the roof. The roof is removable to show the  (as yet unfinished) cabin interior.

Started fitting the stanchions and hand rails. Have run out of wire. Not enough supplied with the kit, so will have to get some more. I have painted as far as I can at the moment. The funnel and large air vents are secured, along with ventilator boxes and chests. These are not in kit form and have to be made from plastic.  Very time consuming this, as they have to be cut and sanded to shape, then under coated, then top coated all sides.  When dry I shall attach the hinges and handles.

I have a problem with the rudder chain, in that it is attached to  the side of the removable cabin structure. The chain is supposed to run in a tube back to the rudder, but I cannot permanently fix it here, else I won't be able to lift of the cabin for access to the motor.

I have fixed on the hatch top above the engine with the vent covers fixed in the open position. This will probably let in water in a storm, but it will only fill the box and not go below decks.

Here are the latest batch of pictures.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:25 pm »

My first attempt at a close up, followed by a mood shot of the craft from the sea.  8)

Ken
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.