Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build  (Read 39841 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:27 pm »

A couple of magnified ones.
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2008, 12:16:08 am »

I love the detail Kenny.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jim

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:25 am »

Hi Ken,

Try cutting the rudder chain tubes about 10mm forward of the end tube brackets that is glued to the deck. The chains can be fixed into these short tube end pieces to run to the tiller arms. You cannot see the join in the tubes and the superstructure  is then easily removable (though the ends of the tubes protruding aft from the engine casing are a little vulnerable).

On the subject of removing the superstructure, you will also have to make the "V" shaped rear gallows stays removable too - easy enough.

You're cracking on with it - looks a treat. Hope you can bring it along to the Wicksteed do (you fitting a periscope on this one!   ;)0

Jim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2008, 10:24:41 am »

Thanks Tigertiger. I'm loving this bit of the build. At the time, it doesn't seem worth putting on a part that needs tweezers, but taken as the whole it all comes together. Today it's the little boxes and their hinges.

Jim, thanks for the tips. I was walking the dog and thinking this problem and never thought about the Gallows. Great idea, which will be incorporated.

It's getting a bit heavy now as I move it around the bench. Might have to get a chain winch suspended from the ceiling.  8).  I suppose this will sink faster than the others !!  Get another submarine ready, Martin.

I have raised the centre wall to incorporate the cabin should the flood come in.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2008, 07:13:40 pm »

I've completed most of the fittings. The gallows are yet to be engineered in (as they say) so I've got on with the rigging.

This is great fun for a chap with 'Varifocals'. I enclose a few pictures of her latest stage and would like to ask about the rigging please.  How do you tie in the cross pieces for the crew to climb up the rigging?  I believe, Brian, you mentioned technical knots. Have you a description or simple drawing please.

Here are some pics....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2008, 07:18:03 pm »

I have used your idea, Jim. You can see the pipes protruding behind the rear cabin.  I have the chains soldered to pieces of brass which slide into the tubes. These pull out when the cabin is lifted off

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:46 pm »

Some more pictures......

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:16 pm »

Don't ask what  the white section is on number 86 as I made it up !!!!   ;D ;D

It's a cover for the rudder control, should I need to access it.  All held on with those 'New earth Magnets'  8)

Cheers for now

Ken

Jim

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2008, 08:06:35 pm »

Ken,

"How do you tie in the cross pieces for the crew to climb up the rigging?"  These are the ratlines and should be tied at each shroud with a clovehitch. It's easy to keep the vertical spacing regular by drawing this spacing onto a piece of card and securing this temporarily behind the shrouds while you work.  Keeping the ratlines looking all the same, without pulling the shrouds together may take a bit of practice, but is simple enough- just so monotonous. Each ratline should have a slight sag between shrouds, rather than being too tight. Paint all knots with diluted PVA to stop them coming loose. Trim with nail clippers or small scissors when dry. I secured my knots with superglue, but have since been advised this may cause the rigging to become brittle and therefore prone to snapping off at the knots if snagged.

The white bit on Photo 86 is obviously the spare toilet rolls. May need a tarpaulin to keep the wet off!

Cheers. Jim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2008, 08:15:57 pm »

Thanks Jim ................   I had to wipe away the tears of laughter before I could reply.

Very good that

barryfoote

« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2008, 07:34:39 am »

Kenny,

She is certainly coming on a treat and I am learning from you all the time. It is a brave thing to put your work on such open display. I know when I post piccies of my Lady T, I am slightly nervous, welcoming any constructive criticism but at the same time, not wanting to make a fool of myself as I did when I put my portholes in the wrong way!! :embarrassed:

Keep up the good work and keep posting...

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2008, 09:26:21 pm »

Your wish is my command. It's really nice to do this Blog, as I'm on a steep learning curve, and enjoying every minute of it. I'd be hard pressed without you all.   O0

Latest news ..........

I've nearly completed the rigging. It came out quite well in the end. What I did was to tie the centre of the thread and glue it in position. I then tied each side and glued that. When it was dry, I cut the trailing edges flush with the uprights and dyed it in black wood stain. Thanks to Barry for this one.  O0

The fumes from all this made me quite sick and I had to give up for the day.

Today I made the life boat fittings from thin plywood and glued them in place. The edges were painted white and the wood left for varnishing. I've painted the oars and they are drying off at the moment.

I have also redesigned the main cabin in new plastic strip to give it a clean edge all round. The insides of the window frames were painted black but I don't like it at all. I'll have to think that one out again.

I might fit some window frames before I glaze it. I'm looking for very small angle plastic strip to cut out.

Jim, I've also changed the giant toilet rolls into oil drums,  Thanks for pointing that out.  O0

Here are the latest pictures.

Ken

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »

I have found my original plans set for the 48ft Granton trawl that the distant water trawlers used Kenny. I will have to redraw it and i'll just mark out measurements in inches/mm so you can make a relatively easy "model" net without having to worry about "knitting" one from scratch.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »

Thanks David,

As you can see, I'm not into rope sizes yet.  {-)  I have the frames ready for the nets and bits of string all over the place.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:05 pm »

I hope to be populating the Well deck tomorrow as I've made the storage boxes for the fish ( grains of Rice rice with eyes painted on them was one suggestion I've had!!)

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2008, 07:47:01 am »

Good morning Ken,

Well she is getting close to being finished by the look of her..Whats next to be built?

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »

Hi Barry.

The Waverley is next in line....... ooh er.  I've ordered the hull and paddles from Waverley models and looking forward to it.  I have the Billings Banckert on the shelf, but I cannot see me starting this one. Anyone interested ?

Today I made some more little fish container boxes and fitted them with tiny ring pull handles. The open storage containers on the deck have been cut out and painted, ready for assembly. The wiring for the mast lights and the cabin lights are on a separate circuits and have been run to the stern control box area, (courtesy of AcTion Electronics), all ready for a bit of flash "night driving" with Ghost. (his speciality I believe)

I also had a bit of spare time between glue and paint drying to knock up a little rolled up cover for the lifeboat. The Oars have had their handles painted and now need the blades painting white.  (It's a hundred little jobs!!  with breaks for Tea and cakes all day)

It doesn't seem 106 days since I started this project, but it's been an interesting challenge. Mind you, some days have been spent with SWMBO in the shops, which make a change I suppose.

Ken

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2008, 08:52:56 pm »

Hy Ken
Have sent you a PM
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Jim

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

Ken,

Looking very good now. You have really cracked on with it and I am  looking forward to seeing it (and you) at Wicksteed.

I used rice for my fish, sprayed silver. I just looked in our kitchen and my long grain rice is 5mm long, so just over 6 inches at 1:32 scale. A bit small I suppose, but I wouldn't think it important - I reckon these rice fish look great and definitely create just the right impression. At this scale, I wouldn't bother painting the eyes in!

Are you having fun getting all those fish pounds aligned? Drove me mad!

Cheers

Jim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2008, 03:07:16 pm »

Funny you should say that about 'those Fish pounds', Jim. I couldn't agree with you more. I've made mine on a flat board with double sided tape to hold in place. Had a look this morning and it's dried out nice. Ready to drop on deck in two sections.

I thought the rice was a bit small, so discontinued this idea. I'm working on a plastic bar, tapered each end, and some fins from more small pieces. Should be fun when I get on to the crabs and lobsters. ;D     Claws R Us, and all that. ::)

No work today. Been up the lake with the boat club. What fun this sailing lark is. Took the springer with it's new door stops on. A bit of a Jar when hitting solid objects though!! I wouldn't like Typhoon being hit by one !

Have mailed you, Bosun.

Cheers...Ken

Jim

« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2008, 05:06:39 pm »

Fins Ken! Well that's dedication. Be careful of crabs. I have some cream for these if you get into trouble ;)

When I made my nets, I used some material I got from Model Slipway. I just checked and I have some left over if you want it. It's 2mm octagonal synthetic weave , coloured brown. Not too much but just about  enough I think to make a scale net. I also have some diamond net, also 2mm size and synthetic, in white, that I bought in a Spanish model shop. Don't think I will have a need for either and will  be happy to post it off to you if you want (pm me if so).

Also on the nets, I found Hobbycraft a good source of bobbins (plastic and wood) that I used for my nets.

Just like to add that your build reports and pics are an absolute delight. Brings back happy memories of the elation and frustrarion I experienced when I did my BT. Superb!  O0

Cheers
Jim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2008, 08:04:09 pm »

Thanks for the offer, Jim. I do have some various nets, obtained whilst on holiday at the sea side last year and was wondering what use to put then too. They are various colours and sizes, so I'll see what I can make of them. If they are not suitable, then perhaps I can call upon you again.

Here are some pictures of the progress of the Fish Pounds along with the great weight to glue them in shape, as they do move about, don't they?

Here, also is my attempt at Fish production. I'm away to Google now for a snapshot of a lobster. SWMBO thinks I'm mad, but then, don't they all.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »

Fish update

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2008, 07:18:02 pm »

Lifeboat update

ps, Jim. what are the two table legs (shown on the outhouse)  for please

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »

Hy Ken
Just like to say it was a real treat to call over and have a look at your Typhoon, the Mrs say's if I can do mine half as good, I'm forgiven for spending what she thinks I spent ;),  keep up the good work it's looking great, but defo no crabs or lobsters mate.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.