Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build  (Read 39839 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2008, 09:41:58 pm »

Thanks, Bosun, the crabs were too difficult anyway !!  ;D

The Mrs had a good idea to save making too many. She suggested filling the container with broken polystyrene and put the fish on top. It might look like ice filled boxes. Clever eh!!

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2008, 01:29:21 pm »

Well, I've been busy the last eleven days. All the little jobs needed to complete her seem never ending.

The rigging was tedious and time consuming, and all the little parts were glued on. The fishes were stuck in polystyrene and buckets were made.

It was then off to the South Wales Boat show with the 'Fleet' to display on our club's stand. Amazing how many dealers at the show had 'just the thing I needed for my 'boating hobby.

I'm now up to wiring in the cabin lights and the outside 'deck lights'.  My aim is to dazzle 'Ghost' at the Wickstead Bash. I'm using LED's and expect to have up to 50 of em!!  Can't go fishing at night without lights !

Here are the latest pictures of Boston in the garden. I am now in the process of 'Movie making', so there's another day gone, getting all the clips collated for 'You tube'

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2008, 01:33:04 pm »

Here are some more.

The smoke generator is something and a half.  When I tested it in the workshop, I had to open the doors. What a great machine. Smoke everywhere   8) 8) 8)

Ken

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:27 pm »

She is looking great.

I look forward to seeing pics of her on the water.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2008, 08:37:57 pm »

Might go sailing soon...  if I can find enough lead   8)  needs 40 pounds of ballast, they say.

Here is the total build on You Tube.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1boGriUEDCI

enjoy

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2008, 10:21:54 pm »

Nah Nah Nah all you need is 2x12 12amp batts and a 6v for your reciever and she is down to the waterline !!!!

Stavros

barryfoote

« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2008, 10:37:55 pm »

Ken,

Excellent Youtube production but who thought of the music..??

chingdevil

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2008, 10:54:55 pm »

Kenny

Who thought up the keyboardken name??

Brian

Jim

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:18 am »

Ken,

It's been a delight to watch your build, and the youtube finale is excellent.

Looking forward to Wicksteed.

Cheers

Jim

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »

Hy Ken
That was excelleny mate, I really enjoyed that video, (pity about the music)  ::) .If your going to give it a go tomorrow let me know, I'll take a run up the lake O0 O0
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2008, 05:31:48 pm »

Thank you everyone. What praise. I'm flattered indeed. Been busy today wiring up all the lights, and decided to break off for a rest. 8 hours non stop. The lake is out for a few days as I've boxed myself in with the access hole, and having more problems fitting the electronics in. It's getting difficult to poke my hands inside for all the gubbins.  I've now got a reduced slot for battery fitting and the large one won't go in. I'm committed to lots of 7 Amp/hrs types now. The front access slot in the well deck has been sealed over to prevent leaks, so all I have is the opening under the cabin now.

Bosun, thanks for the CD's, they were playing away in the background. I can see why you don't like my choice of music. That was Ethel Smith, don't you know. My Goddess in the Organ repair world.  ;D

Brian, the choice of KeyboardKen is my handle for the Organ trade, when I was working. I do play the Theatre organ and have owned several, although I'm without one at the moment as the boat takes all my time. ::)

Jim, thank you very much, and thank you for your pictures as I would not have pieced it together without your help.  O0

Footski, I used that music as it was all I had on 'Wave files' at the moment in the machine. great isn't it.  8)

Dave, she is already loaded with roofing lead, so hopefully not too many batteries with do the job. I will let you know what works when I plonk her in the water.  ;D  Thanks for the Ebay findings, I will look into it.

Cheers everyone

Ken

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2008, 05:41:51 pm »

Ken

I hate you  :)

Not only is your workmanship excellent, your workshop is far too neat and clean  :'(

I'll get me coat.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2008, 05:51:07 pm »

Thanks Dougal.

I do have a camera that lies.  ;D   The real thing sometimes get me annoyed with the imperfections. It really does have a lot. Mind you, I've been staring at it for over 100 days now and I need a break.

Cheers...Ken

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »

ya bringing her to wicksteed?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:50 am »

Oh yes.... We'll be there .......  if we have to walk.

Now up to 20 lights on board.  Today we start the engine

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:36 am »

I've made another control box. Only need two speed controllers this time. Have fitted the four way switcher for the lights and steam and sound. I've placed the R/X on the outside this time with Velcro, so it should be better for changing crystals if there is a clash at the lake.
As you can see, I have to 'shoe-horn' the stuff in, but we're getter there gradually. Still haven't actually got it all working, but really looking forward to a trip to the lake. This thought keeps me going.

Glad the weather is improving, as it's a real pleasure in the shed now. (the thermal clothes are being removed gradually !!)

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2008, 07:33:27 pm »

Another 8 hours today.  Wired the control box to a fused supply with LED's for twin voltages of 6 volts and 12 volts. Couldn't get a 12 volt bow thruster motor to fit, so have to have a 6 volt line. I tried to design a voltage reduction circuit for it, but couldn't come up with anything that would handle up to 10 amps, so I'm stuck with two sizes of battery.

Also brought out 4 switched miniature jack sockets from AcTion's switcher unit, for easy access to plugs. I now have a switched running lights along with switched cabin lights and switched spotlights. There is one spare for the disco in the cabin. (who knows!).  It works a treat, FLJ, and I couldn't help sitting in the chair with my coffee, chuckling to myself. Very novel unit. Do you do a six way version ?

Started wiring up the Smoky and will have it on a separate channel on the T/X, so that I don't run out of steam across the lake. It's speed controlled for smoke output.  I thought this might be better than just on the motor control system because it would always be on.

I was looking at my awful windows and decided not to try and fix it up, but to lay in a new window frame. Unfortunately, this leaves a funny edge at the bottom, so now I shall fit a skirting rail to hide it.

Funny, how one thing leads to another. That's all for now, I'm off for a beer.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2008, 08:39:20 pm »

Windows now fitted with new skirting rails to tidy up the edges.

The Smoke machine is in and running. Did a bench test on a full tank and left it running to see how long the water will last. After 35 minutes it was still running on full blast , so I switched off and felt satisfied it would be enough for a sail. Probably got a lung full of atomised water, but it doesn't smell or linger long.

Pics of Smokie in action.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »

Well, the old girl is finished at last. Over 120 days of work and a total cost of £680. Here are a few pictures of her on her trolley.

There are over 2000 parts and we have a steam unit fitted, along with a steam engine sound generator, geared to the throttle. There are over 20 lights all switchable in sections. She is driven by a 70 mm prop from a Robbe 1000 motor with added Bow thruster from 6 and 12 volt supplies. Total weight   is now 43 pounds. Just need to find the keys for the toilet door.  {-)

Cheer...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »

The final three, until we get on the water.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2008, 10:18:57 pm »

Well done Ken (Proper Job) O0
When you taking it to the lake ?.
Nearly finished mine, but there are a lot of parts missing, and no instructions, still it,s looking ok, just need to sort out the lighting and a bit of rigging, By the way I followed your bargainn basement post, and bought one of those paddling pools, aint had it out yet but it looks ok.
I will have to call over and see her now she is finished.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »

Thanks Bosun.

I've put aside the photo's for you to have. I'm home most days. kettle always on.

Ken

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2008, 10:49:22 pm »

OK got the net plans redone at 1/32nd scale. All measurements in metric ( mm ). the left hand side is joined to the right section around the outer sides only. The inner 3 sides should have rope on them both upper and lower. On the top ( left hand side ) there will be a lot of floats along the center section and down to half way along the wing ( roughly ) and the bobbins ( seen in other photos in this build ) attach to the center of the lower section and 1/2 way along both lower wings.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

GaryM

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2008, 02:36:41 am »

Ken - Just got to say beautiful boat (or being a Brummie 'Bostin bit of kit') - 4½ft!

Could I ask - you epoxy'd the inner hull - why?  The frame work at the beginning - was this for strength alone? 

Frame work - my theory for my own boat is both strength and to form 'compartments' for batteries, ballast etc.

regards
Gary
(novice)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:48 am »

Thanks for the Nets drawings, David. I've copied them off and plan to make these. No rush now, so I can concentrate on them and add to the boat. Cheers for that.

Thanks for the compliments Garry. Yes, I did epoxy the hull. The reason being to prevent water coming in, in case there were any weak spots in the hull moulding. Also, I knew it was going to be a heavy boat so I needed a stronger base.

The frames were originally wood, but I didn't get on well with it, and thought it was a little weak. I reverted to the trusted scaffolding method in plastic for strength and ease of attaching extras too.  There are no compartments, as such, just channels for the batteries. All very sturdy (unlike the top fittings which keep getting knocked with the elbow)

ken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.