Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunder Tiger's Victoria - pond depth  (Read 2269 times)

jimbo

• Shipmate
Thunder Tiger's Victoria - pond depth
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:15:28 pm »

I'm keen to sail a model yacht, but the nearest yacht pond varies from 12'' to 9" in depth. (Originally intended as a Curling Rink) Apparently the Micro Magic will "fit" but wth no building skills a buit RTS version is well over my OAP budget.  Having a Victoria built is not, but it looks as though it would drag its keel in the shallows.  So if any one out there has a Victoria would you kindly measure the waterline-to-bottom-of-the-keel dimension for me ?

There are one or two reservoirs, disused Mill Dams, and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal as well, but potential retrieval difficulties there are putting me off.....  And if there are any members of this forum in West Yorkshire that sail a Victoria (or even a Micro Magic) I'd appreciate email contact.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Thunder Tiger's Victoria - pond depth
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:46 am »

Hi
My Victoria is just under 9" from waterline to keel bottom.
If she ever does bottom out then if you pull the sails in, as she points across the wind she will heel over raising the keel off the floor.

Also retrieval does not need to be a problem. As long as you can get to the edge, she is light enough and strong enough to lift carefully out by taking hold of the top of the mast and lifting vertically.

It is an easy build. Martin has done a build thread on here. It is worth doing the simple modifications if you can.

I enjoy my Victoria and she is an easy sail.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.