Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SHG Shadow - Electric version anyone?  (Read 14920 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
SHG Shadow - Electric version anyone?
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:49:15 pm »

Via email to Mayhem....

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a bright orange SHG Shadow currently  it has an Enya 19 glow engine installed.
However where I sail I are not allowed glow engines so I'm planning to  fit an electric conversion.
My first attempt was using a  speed 500 motor from my old RC buggy but this could not get  this heavy boat
onto a good plane. The new plan is to fit a  MFA 850 as these are recommended for large planning boats up 
to 1.2 meters. The motor would be run with an Mtroniks 20amp  Esc and a 7.2v 4300mah battery.

This is only my third boat  and I  would be pleased to hear your opinion on my idea for the  power chain
and be happy to take on board any suggestions.

Chris

Here's my Shadow.... Martin - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/02%20shadow.htm

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

Re: SHG Shadow - Electric version anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:41:50 pm »

Right then I have had experience of the 850 and sorry to pour water on your fire so to speak but it wont be much better than the speed 500.Now this is only the case using 7.2v use 12v and you are cooking on gas BUT use the Graupener 700BBturbo O0 a far superior motor and then it should fly,This is what I would do and obviously play around with batt voltage and prop size

Stavros

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:32 pm »

hi martin i used to be into fast electics before gas,and have you never considered going brushless,with li-po its the way of the world now, my last one was a delta force 12, measured 26", it had a feigeo 540 xl 9 turn motor in it, running on 14.8 volt li-po it was clocked at 72 mph...just a thought .....alan

explorer750

SHG Shadow electric conversion
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:28:26 pm »

Hi everybody

I am the proud owner of a bright orange SHG Shadow currently it has an Enya 19 glow engine installed. However where I
sail I are not allowed glow engines so I'am planning to fit an electric conversion. My first attempt was using a
speed 500 motor from my old RC buggy but this could not get this heavy boat onto a good plane. The new plan is to fit a
MFA 850 as these are recommended for large planning boats up to 1.2 meters. The motor would be run with an Mtroniks 20amp
Esc and a 7.2v 4300mah battery. This is only my third boat and I would be pleased to hear your opinion on my idea for the
power chain and be happy to take on board any suggestions.

Explorer750 O0

explorer750

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:06:51 pm »

Right then I have had experience of the 850 and sorry to pour water on your fire so to speak but it wont be much better than the speed 500.Now this is only the case using 7.2v use 12v and you are cooking on gas BUT use the Graupener 700BBturbo O0 a far superior motor and then it should fly,This is what I would do and obviously play around with batt voltage and prop size

Stavros

Thanks for the info. If I was to use a 700BB turbo what would it need as a Electronic speed controller. Also can someone suggest a good battery to match up.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:03 pm »

Mtronics 20amp I would use and as for batts have a look at component shop for the cheapest batts around link below.No connection with the company just a satisfied customer

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/std_rechargeable.html

Stavros

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:41:30 pm »

I would try and go for a higher rated speed controller as 700bb even on 12 volt can be very amp hungry and on start up with a race prop can draw a lot of amps.

peter

explorer750

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:42:51 am »

Does any one have experience of running a graupner 700BB turbo with a reducing gearbox? This I feel would reduce the current drain on the ESC. However would it still be as fast as the Enya 19 engine in before?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 10:13:28 am »

Ive used one direct and with a Hughey gear box on about 2/1 with a two bladed prop and they run well, they are used by the race fraternity in that mode I believe and can run quite a fierce prop. have a look through the link

peter

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=hughey+gearbox&spell=1

explorer750

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »

What sort of speed are you getting from the monohull? It looks alot lighter than mine.

explorer750

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »

This is my Boat. Hopefully you can see it.

explorer750

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 07:38:30 pm »

I have just put the order in, for the following:

Graupner 700BB Turbo 12v

Electrons FR30HX speed controller

4300mah 12v nimh 

This should give the boat a turn of speed and hopefully the mysterious blue smoke won't appear.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »

You can alway parallel up the batteries to double the run time.
Also buy a selection of prop sizes to get best performance.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

explorer750

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 03:51:55 pm »

If I ran two 7.2v 4200mah packs in series, would that be better. The motor would run at 14.4v, does this incease the RPM? O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »

If I ran two 7.2v 4200mah packs in series, would that be better. The motor would run at 14.4v, does this incease the RPM? O0

Quite considerably but watch out for smoke!!! I would say there is a good chance of overloading the motor....

explorer750

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 11:58:35 am »

Do you mean it will need to use a smaller prop? It has a x40 on it currently, this was the one used with the nitro engine. What size/type would you recomend? The motor says it will run to 19v so it won't overload on volts.

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 05:27:47 pm »

Hi change the prop to a 40mm std,reason for this there are 2 types of props one is a std pitch which is the one you want,the other is a z type which means the pitch of h the blades is different,you should be allright on 14v on that motor

Stavros

explorer750

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 05:42:15 pm »

Does anyone have any idea of the rpm of this motor at 14.4v? Because from there  can predict a speed to aim for. ;)

explorer750

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 08:04:14 pm »

Hi again, the next step of the build starts here. Today a large box of bits arrived, The batteries, speed controller and servo are installed. The motor however is being a real problem, as you can see from the picture the prop shaft exits low. The motor with coil fitted also needs to be low to keep the center of gravity down. In the picture you will see the mounting points for the nitro motor, these are fine for a nitro motor with mounting points at the side but useless for a motor with them on the front as the 700BB is.

One idea I had was to fit a small ply bulkhead and mount the motor to this. Alternatively the motor could be fixed to the screws in a jubilee clip style mount. Is their a preferred method of mounting motors?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:57 pm »

The ply bulkhead would appear to be your best bet.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

explorer750

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »

Motor now fitted just waiting for a new universal joint as the motor shaft is larger than the hole.

explorer750

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »

Does the electrics need to be in a watertight box? The speed controller says it gets hot so needs a constant flow of air to it so I can imagine that it would get too hot in a box. ???

explorer750

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 02:42:02 pm »

Final pharse before testing, the windscreen and seats. Somehow I have to make two seats out of 4 plastic shapes. Plus I have to do this with out the instructions. Does anyone have any pictures to show the process finished as I only have the cover pictures and the limiting amount on the web.

explorer750

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 11:10:27 am »

First bath float test today sat quite low in the water( well it weights nearly 3KG), so low in fact that the water cooling exit was under water. Don't know if this would effect cooling? Just waiting for a fuse and the batteries to charge then it will have a test run.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »

... so low in fact that the water cooling exit was under water. Don't know if this would effect cooling?

Naaa, don't worry about that, the thing will be going so fast, you should be worrying about picking enough water up!!  ::)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.