Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold weather!  (Read 5824 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Cold weather!
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »

Just wondering if anybody as had trouble with electrics/electronics during the cold snap?  All my boats/subs are in the garage and it measured -3c in there last night, would this have any affect on receivers etc.?

Russ

Stavros

Re: Cold weather!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:25 pm »

Never had a problem cant see it a problem either

Stavros

slewis

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:13:40 pm »

Radio waves are not really affected by temperature  but I would check your batteries  O0

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:28:24 pm »

Yep - I did a TV shoot in an curling rink once. The normally "good for two hours" batteries were fading after ten minutes, even when brought in on full charge. The worst thing was, in this ten minutes the warm batteries slurped any moisture out of the air and this condensed on the tape heads. :embarrassed:

I'd definitely take the batteries out of the boat for a good charge - and leave them out until next time you need them.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:56:26 am »

Dreadnought has hit the nail on the head  with the worst enemy- condensation. Lots of pages in Model Engineer a few years ago about tools in garage going rusty very quickly. Ultimate outcome for a lathe bed (only for size comparison) was to put a "tent" over it and use a PIANO heater. Stop larfing, in the days of proper pianos, pre namby pamby central heating, pirannas used to go off tune due to cold weather on cast iron frames. the way to combat this was to use a small electric heater inside the casing. These things were SPECIFICALLY made for this job and cost about a penny a day to run, about 40 to 60W they kept a DRY but  not HOT ambient temp. could be an answer if your worried, otherwise try to negotiate with SWMBO for internal dry dock for winter?
          Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

Does sound like cold battereis.
Keep them indoors and then your trouser pocket until needed.

This deep chilling of the battery takes a few hours so from pocket to boat should not be a problem.

I imagine a light bulb, suitable protected (inspection lamp) would do the same job as the piano heater, if you cannot find one.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:42 pm »

Generally speaking, cold will sap practical battery capacity as photographers in arctic regions know. Warm them up and they are back to normal.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:13:16 pm »

One cold winters day at the pondside I kept a spare battery in my jeans pocket. After a while I remarked how it had warmed up - cue odd looks from the others.

I looked down and there was a hole in my jeans with smoke pouring out!

The battery had shorted on a coin!

so, BEWARE!  :embarrassed:
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:29 pm »

Your electronics will just fine at these temperatures and will withstand severely low temps way below anything we experience in the uk. As the other chaps have already stated, watch out for your batteries, especially lead acid types. Keep them indoors if possible and don't allow them to go flat. The dreaded condensation is as stated, a real enemy so avoid situations where this can form on anything that doesn't like wet stuff. If your subs are sealed up as they normally would be anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about them regardless of conditions but obviously don't leave ballast tanks full of water where there is a possibility of freezing as ice expands as it melts and if it has nowhere to expand to, it could rupture a tank.

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:55:03 pm »

Apparently NICADs like the cold but lead acid and Lithium based cells prefer to be kept warm. Not too sure about NiMh though. A few years ago the Li-ion pack in my camcorder gave up the ghost after a very short time on a cold January day.

Neil

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 10:01:18 am »

Beware the dreaded Black Wire Rot, which happens in such conditions. I did read a treatise on it once but I forget what the reason is - something to do with oxidation due to electrolysis? Anyway, if you leave your radio gear out in the cold and damp there's a chance that the negative battery leads will corrode underneath the PVC insulation. I'd recommend either taking the packs indoors during winter months or at least unplugging them from the rest of the radio - and that includes the ones inside the transmitters. I'd also endorse what's been said about not letting them go flat.
FLJ

djrobbo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 12:39:08 pm »

HI GUYS.....funny you should mention this ...but last sunday took springer and sun xx1 tugs to the lake for a spin...as i said on another thread it was CCCCOLLDDDD!!!!!the lake was frozen solid and it got thicker the further out you went....anywho we finally managed to break an area big enough to sail in and both tugs were giving problems until they had been running for a little while . this was not battery problems but response to radio commands.....slow to respond to reverse in particular......both tugs were on 27 megs....different frequencies and different esc's...as i said they both seemed to cure themselves after a few minutes running

strange!!!!        the answer is out there somewhere !

regards    bob.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 12:49:24 pm »

Are you running with gel cell on drive and nicads for  radio or have you a BEC.

Peter

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 01:14:40 pm »

they both seemed to cure themselves after a few minutes running

strange!!!!        the answer is out there somewhere !
Grease in the propshafts warming up and turning back into fluid?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

madmax

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 05:29:23 pm »

hi all
        i work in my garage as well and keep all batts  and radio gear in polestyrene boxes with lids
        and no problems at all
                                                       madmax

djrobbo

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 09:27:45 pm »

Hi guys....sorry about the delay.....both tugs using bec no seperate batteries

no grease in shafts...both run oilers.........different recievers as well.......one futaba......one hitec....

strange  eh !!

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 10:02:38 pm »

But you should know by now that Wat Tyler has some very strange goings on with regards radio gear.I never have a problem up here but as soon as I use the set at the lake,I get problems and I am on 40meg.
Now was it a Case of someone out there with a CB possible cos  you on 27

Stavros

djrobbo

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 01:03:25 am »

HELLO DAVE.......It might be although i never have problems with the 40 meg ......it might possibly be the worm hole leading to an alternative dimension thats located just in front of the light house.........seriously though it might possibly be the m odel boat pond in the museum......they are on 27 meg

regards.....bob.

OMK

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 02:00:41 am »

A piano heater?

Aw, dudes, I'm a guitar sort of bloke. Love anyone who can master the art of piano'ing. But a piano heater?
I'm intrigued. Does a piano need some sort of heater in there in order to keep it in tune or something?
Please help, I'm intrugued.

OMK

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 02:24:39 am »

Cast iron piano?

Now I'm really intrigued.
Circlip, tell more about this cast-iron piano heater gizmo of yours.
What?... when?... how?.............

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 09:22:34 am »

Cast iron piano?
Now I'm really intrigued.
Circlip, tell more about this cast-iron piano heater gizmo of yours.
What?... when?... how?.............

Try this link, dear boy. I'm also interested in one. This could get seriously trendy!

http://www.pianocoversonline.co.uk/m215dampchaser-p-105.html

FLJ

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 09:55:40 am »

A bit expensive! Try Googling "tubular heaters" for more economical versions. They are used in many places for background heating - I have a 120w version in my workspace (shed). It keeps the frost off and with some condensation absorbers keeps things dry.

Barrie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:35 am »

Thanks, Barrie. I've had a look at some of the websites which came up, but it's the low power of these things that interests me. The application I'm thinking about will be inside a run of cupboards, to prevent condensation. I'd thought of using a light bulb or bulbs, but I don't want the light shining through the gaps around the doors at night. This could be the solution.
Anyway, "the business" is paying for it!!
FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 12:03:27 pm »

Years ago when I looked after a bunch of rural telephone exchanges, the racks had a tubular heater each, rated at 50W.  For cupboards you could probably do the same with low power tungsten bulbs, but put light guards over them.  OK as long as tungsten bulbs are available.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 02:03:51 pm »

PMK, read my post slooowly, now we're well into the new year {-)  The string frame on the old upright pirrana's were made from cast iron. ALL metals expand and contract due to differences in temperature, so the tuning is affected. In an attempt to keep a stable ambient temperature, these heaters were used, and obviously still are. The humidifier seems strange, but thinking about it logically, in the land of Skippy and Tinnies you have to keep the moisture content of the woodwork up. Suppose it's the same where poor old Footsie lives - Don't it make your heart bleed? ::) {-) {-)  FLJ, if your going to use this for commercial gain ( NO I DON'T WANT A CUT) Watch out for the Elfins and insurance sharks, they'll probably want you to fit auto powder extinguishers and steel shutters in case your premises catch fire and release toxins for miles around.
   See you missed out on the big ring for the new year FLJ >>:-( >>:-( {-) {-) {-)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.