Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold weather!  (Read 5851 times)

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Cold weather!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 03:12:40 pm »

FLJ, if your going to use this for commercial gain ( NO I DON'T WANT A CUT) Watch out for the Elfins and insurance sharks, they'll probably want you to fit auto powder extinguishers and steel shutters in case your premises catch fire and release toxins for miles around.
   See you missed out on the big ring for the new year FLJ >>:-( >>:-( {-) {-) {-)
Thanks for the excuse for Post #500. I only said da business was paying for it..................  ;) As for "commercial gain", get real! If we were relying on this for an income then we'd be in trouble.
FLJ

(Yep - that's all the rings, innit?)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 03:38:31 pm »

You sly B****R, missed that one {-) {-) But it wasn't LAST YEAR. ::)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bee

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:08 pm »

Used to use light bulbs in a biscuit tin for heating trays of photgraphic developer - another hobby the younger generation have replace with computerisation.

OMK

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 02:49:21 pm »

PMK, read my post slooowly, now we're well into the new year {-)

Yeah, you're right. Makes loads more sense that way.
But little did I know that pianos had cast iron metalwork in them. For some reason I just assumed that all pianos frames were wood, wood and more wood. I guess even wood expands and contracts, but it never occured that you'd need a heater in there. On reflection it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads-up.
Pianos are great instruments. And what REALLY fascinates me is how you play them. I mean, you have BOTH hands dancing up and down all over the keys. How do you DO that? Guitars are dead easy in comparison, so anyone who plays piano is a genius in my book. Sticking me in front of a piano is akin to sticking a computer keyboard in front of a monkey. I can just about find my way around middle C, but that's as far as it goes. You guys that use BOTH hands while tickling them ivories, making all them harmonies.......... Like I said, pure genius.
Pse 'scuse my ignorance regarding that heater scene.

By the by, I recall some old gadgy coming to our infant school to tune the hall piano. I seem to remember him spending AGES on getting it right. Was only 5-yrs-old at the time, and the first time I'd seen the innards of a piano. 'Twas an all-wood job. I don't recall seeing any piano heater, but that school hall was bloody freezing in the winter.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:31 pm »

A bit OT from boats, but the question's been aksed.

Upright and Grand acoustic pianos have cast iron frames to bear the tension of all those strings. The wooden soundboards of very, very old pianos couldn't take much strain and the pianos were therefore rather quiet. Iron frames let the makers put in longer, thicker strings and then crank them up much tighter for a bigger sound. In days of old they were sometimes even advertised as 'upright iron grands' or something equally misleading.

The object in question in the post - ie the piano heater - used to be called the Dampp Chaser, but now seems to have been 'upgraded' to the 'Humidistat'. My old mates at Fletcher-Newman still sell them. http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalogue/heaters_humidifiers/m220u.html

Incidentally, it wasn't damp that was the real enemy of older pianos. Central heating dried the air too much and you had to have a Humidifier fitted. This was a bar that you soaked in the bath, then wiped off and hung on two hooks inside the front of the joanna. The evaporation was enough to keep the air inside the piano just right. Every few weeks you'd dip the bar back in the bath for a top-up.

Good quality pianos from the late 60's onwards were designed and built with central heating in mind, but I can recall selling one or other of the devices with every piano back then. It all added on to my sales figures!  {-)

I guess this new fangled humidity control can regulate things both ways.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 09:30:12 pm »

Excuse me but what the heck has PIANO'S got to do with the effect of cold weather on electronics the mind boggles ::)

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:13 pm »

Think it's lateral thinking. You know, that thing that women are good at.  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 09:52:22 pm »

well it certantly aint cold weather is it >>:-(

stavros

OMK

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 05:23:16 am »

Stav, I think it's summat to do with thermal molecule flow.

(Don't ask -- I robbed it from those 'How To Increase Your Word Power" pages in Reader's Digest.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.