Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Smaragd yacht  (Read 7034 times)

captain morgan

Robbe Smaragd yacht
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:02:17 pm »

hi
has anyone built a robbe smaragd yacht,are they any good to sail

Roger in France

Re: Robbe Smaragd yacht
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:22:35 pm »

I have not built one myself, but.....

My local hobby store (Fontenay la Comte) sold a kit to a guy. Part way through the build he became to ill to continue. He gave the part built kit to the shop owner. Each time I visited the shop there was Phillipe with the model on the counter being built and what a beauty it became. It is now the central display in the shop window. It went together well and sails superbly. At first the sheeting seemed complex but as it was set up it became obvious and works well.

Roger in France.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:14:04 am »

Hi,
I built one a couple of years ago.
A pleasure from start to finish.
The two faults that I found when sailing were,
The winches that hold the cockpit in place snag the sheets, as does the huge steering wheel in the centre of the cockpit.
Other than that it was great.
I only sold it because during building I bought a smaller car, and then found I had to remove the back seats to get it in.
Of course as soon as I had sold it, I bought a Bigger car again, and then wished I still had it.

Bob

captain morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:23 pm »

Hi BoB
where the winchdrums are that hold the cockpit down did you use anything to seal the join between the cockpit and the main hull when the winchdrums are  screwed tight down.             

captain morgan

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:30:02 pm »

Hi captain morgan,
I'm not sure, but I think that there was a thin foam rubber seal on the underside of the lift off section.
One job that I found difficult was fitting the keel, as I had no help. It really requires two pairs of hands.
One pair to hold the keel in position while the bolts are fitted. The problem is that it is fitted with body filler so there is very limited time to work.
Also the rudder servo is better fitted facing across the hull, as the rear fixing screws are not accessable once the servo is in position.

regards Bob

Robert Davies

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:26:05 pm »

I've only sailed one a fair bit, but they are *absolutely* superb even in strong winds. The sail winch lines can be quite tricky to get right (ie so they stay on the drum!) but it's well worth it when you crack it :)

-Rob

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:49:09 am »

Hi all,

If you fit a spring or an elastic in the dead side of the winch line, it stops the problems of the line coming off the drum.
On my boat I fitted a spring over the pulley bolt at the bow end so the pulley was tensioned. Either way works.
I know the chap I sold it too had problems, but I think this was due to other factors.

I used exactly the same method on a Marblehead yacht for many years with no problems.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.