Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking the ice (In a manner of speaking)  (Read 1833 times)

victorian

Breaking the ice (In a manner of speaking)
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:29:43 pm »

Well actually the ice had to be broken first, but here's the little "Pelorus" afloat at last in a form somewhat resembling the original ship.

There's still much to do and in particular I'd be grateful for any close in photographs because there is much doubt about the deck layout.

"So it comes that next time you see, even far off, one of Her Majesty's cruisers, all your heart goes
out to her. Men live there." Rudyard Kipling writing in 1897 about his voyage in "Pelorus".

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
Re: Breaking the ice (In a manner of speaking)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:53:07 pm »

Hi
   I bet that bow lends it self to being a cracking ice breaker. {-)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:37:24 pm »

DV
I can now see what you meant by the restricted hull access! Hope you managed to cram everything in, because the model really does look beautiful.
FLJ

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:05:39 pm »

Looking good....I have to put mine on a swimming pool but never, never have I had to break the ice on it....Brr   glad I live down here in sunny Spain.

regards,

Barry

victorian

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:58:31 pm »

Actually, it's a very poor ice breaker - the bow tries to lift the ice, which is impossible. But it does bash through the floes of the West Northants ice shelf in a rather clunky fashion. (I wouldn't try this with a painted model!)

All the electronics tuck into the bilges with the rx up under the bridge. The idea is that all the parts can be accessed (with forceps) once the main deck is glued down, through the slot under the uptake superstructure. However unfortunately I had to cut a hatch over the motors to access the couplings because I couldn't guarantee reliability with the fiddly 2mm dia shafts. I thought this better now than taking a chainsaw to the finished model later! This hatch will be sealed in a semi permanent way since I am sure the model will take water at some stage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.