Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Incompetence?  (Read 4772 times)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Incompetence?
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:52 pm »

Given the latest news that yet more personal info has been lost (learner drivers names on a hard disc) somewhere in America........Whet the devil is it doing in America?? Did the postman mistake WALES for AMERICA because it's dark at that time of the morning or did he just forget his glasses? Perhaps it's cheaper to send it to America first and then on to Wales!! What strange scheme is in operation that we should send stuff like this to any other counry rather than directly to its UK destination. Why a hard disc anyway? Is it the man in the street who is incapable of understanding the logic  or are we just being governed by a bunch of feckless cretins??
I know I put that rope somewhere around here!!!  :-\

djrobbo

Re: Incompetence?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:29 pm »

I think " feckless cretins " sums it up quite nicely  O0

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:04 pm »

I KNOW it hurts Sheerline but forget the rope, put the kettle on and have a cupper,you could also steam some wood at the same time!
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:44:21 am »

I don't need the kettleto bend wood, I just use the steam that comes out of my ears! {-)

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:59 am »

I think you will find that this type of cock up has always gone on, but since the so called "Freedom of Information Act", it is all getting into the papers.

bigH

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:26:32 am »

::)  Not only did the yanks lose the information drive Sheerline but this government employ an American firm to set the TEST and then DECIDE if WE are fit to drive.  :o  :o  :o    Latest Government quote, " There's no need to worry there was NO financial details on the drive "..  only every bit of info to enable scroats to steal every persons ID.  ............bigH

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:43:47 pm »

The government insists that information held by them when/if ID cards are introduced will be safe and secure. That is obviously a lie. (No change there then)

SAY NO TO ID!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:56:28 pm »

While I agree that the government (any) we have are not that good I have some views on I D cards,
1 do you have a driving licence  (photo card as well as paper in UK)
2 do you have a passport    (check for the chip)
3 do you have a discharge book (seamen)
4 do you have a seamans card
do you have a credit card

I do believe  that the items above hold or are linked to ALL your information should one wish to locate it
So where is the problem in having an ID card like most other country's?

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:09:10 pm »

I have carried an ID card all my adult life, first in the course of my work and England and for the lsat nine years as a Spanish esident. In all that time they have only ever helped me. Never have they caused a problem and never will for people going about their lawful daily business. They are only of benefit to the individual and at the same time help the authorities fight crime and unlawful inhabitants.

Having said all that my card costs me about 4 squid every 5 years. It is typical of Britain that they want to run before they can walk by insisting on a card having too much information and thus costs a bloody fortune.

Settle for simple and cheap cards and see how it goes before thinking about extending it.

Barry

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:20 pm »

As I said I see no problem with having an ID card
Now watch this and any British government Fudge it up so much its impossible to use

Like Footski says KISS and it will work for the law following people.  and the card has to be the same type through out the country so there is another way this can get fudged up each county will want their own type each race will want their own type so on so forth

isnt life just so simple?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 01:49:52 pm »

Having said all that my card costs me about 4 squid every 5 years. It is typical of Britain that they want to run before they can walk by insisting on a card having too much information and thus costs a bloody fortune.

This is what happens when administrators make decissions and have consultants to help them make those decissions.

Things end up bigger than Ben Hur.

They should try asking the police what they need. Apart from more speed cameras that is.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 02:02:22 pm »

WheI first heard that the ID card was being considered, I thought it was a good idea... and still do, however, given the nature of how things are done here in the UK these days, the failure to secure information is now a very worrying aspect of life . Yes, I agree our personal information is out there to a degree as has previously been pointed out but, who knows what level of information would be stored on these cards? What with discs and hard drives being lost and sent to wrong destinations and the  suppossed low moral of Home office personnel, the likelihood of personal details being accumulated in one office and subsequently being lost are very great. It doesn't exactly instill confidence in the system when your hear that some of the very security guards within the House of Commons were found to be illegal immigrants! If they can't even get that right then I say NO, with their track record why should I entrust such incompetents with such a delicate operation as security.
I am afraid the system is not up to it, it only really swings into efficient action if you fail to pay a parking fine or don't have a TV licencse or indeed anything which means you have part with money.
I say we need a ruddy good shakedown and overhaul of the whole government system before we allow them the oppotunity of screwing this one up!  

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 02:12:53 pm »

What puzzles me is that in order to issue you with an ID card you will have to prove who you are before you get it.  But if you can do that, then why have an ID card anyway ?

Don B.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 02:17:38 pm »

What puzzles me is that in order to issue you with an ID card you will have to prove who you are before you get it.  But if you can do that, then why have an ID card anyway ?

Don B.

Now there's a truth. ;D

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:01 pm »

Ah! But what if they have lost your details and can't tie up your information...they will then accuse you of identity theft. Worse still, if they get it completely wrong they might have you listed as someone from say, Nigeria or Iceland or wherever.... and deport you! Mind you, if the latter were the case, you may well end up being given a fistload of money, mobile phone ,a ca and a new set of trainers, along with an appeal form which will take goodness knows how long to process so all in all, it could benefit some folks! {-)
Sorry, got carried away a bit there........time for a nother cuppa I think.

djrobbo

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:15:46 pm »

WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH I . D  CARDS ?  well as i see it , in theory nothing at all,  BUT !! hang on a smidge , all the other cards etc that i have either prove that i am competent to do something ( like drive etc ) or will obtain me credit / goods etc....as has been said, our information is all out there somewhere, so i dont really see the need for something that has enormous potential for one mother of a screw up . The final straw is , why should i have to pay around 100 squid for something i neither want or need , it won't benefit me in any way....this smacks of yet another back door tax >>:-( >>:-(

And how long will it be before the wrong people find a way to beat the system >>:-(

Just exactly how much spare room is there in australia  peter  ???

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 05:53:06 am »

A big problem with ID as I see it, is ID theft.

If I have your detailsa and appy for a card and get it. Other people will assume that this ID is unassailable proof of identity. Making further fraud more easy.

If you then later apply for ID then you will have to prove you are who you say you are with even more effrot than before. That assumes that the databse will recognise two applications. and if it does the authorities will be able to act.

In todays high tech world it is easier to forge documents, bank letters, utility bills etc. Gone are the days when the average criminal did not have access tot eh machinery to forge a simple ID.

When I was in the military I had an ID, anyone with a laminating machine could have faked. How much more so now.

Semi-rant begins[
Although there are human rights issues, a national DNA database does make sense. This way detaction of crime is easier. And if the police pull someone in who does not have DNA on file, then they are easy to identify.
There is the potential for miscarriages of justice. Like that doesn't happen now? But the chances of wrongful ID are much lower than a police line up.

Police would love it, but the main thing to remeber about deterence, is - It is not about the severity of the punishment, it is about the odds of getting caught. Ask any drink driver int eh remote rural areas of Britain, where dring driving is still rife BTW.

]semi-rant over.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 06:26:05 am »

I noticed on the news 24 bulletin that their FINALLY thinking of using teeth on the stupid b---rds who use mobile phones while driving.(Oh dear this is another of my favorite flamers) They brought a law in, then gave people a month to get used to it in case they hadn't heard about it, and have then proceeded to ignore it? I note also that even hands free units come into question, - SUPER. Family keep asking if I want a mobile phone but the standard reply is "No, the handbrake on the car is quite adequate." How have we allowed ourselves to get into the situation where we have to be accessed anywhere 24Hrs a day? I've heard all the excreta, "oh I NEED it for---", for heavens sakes, next time your out playing with the boat, chuck the d--ned mobile in the pond. 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

I agree circlip.

The mobile, email, and now 'Blackberry' have encroauched into our family time.

People will call you out of hours now. Why, becuase they can.

On holiday last year I had three phonecalls and 4 SMS from work. I wouln't mind, but it wasn't really urgent, and I am not a bloody manager anymore.

And then when you tell them to respect your holiday time they think you are being unproffessional.

Couldn't switch it off as the family use it to keep in touch if we get seperated.

And like Circlip said, we managed before.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 12:02:37 pm »

And don't even THINK about starting me on 4X4's >>:-(  >>:-(  >>:-(

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 12:29:17 pm »

The reason all 'your' data is going offshore to places like India and USA, is because too many feckless people in the UK want lower taxes. The ONLY way you'll get that is by data processing and other IT related work being done by people paid lower than they are in the UK.

You cant have it both ways although some people here clearly would!

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 12:47:07 pm »

The press release concerning the missing data stated that "the reason for it being sent to the USA was that we don't have the necessary skills to process the data in this country".

Is it really that difficult to handle data on a hard drive?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 01:03:26 pm »

Work it out,   Numpty level of education in Britain  £5-20/hr.   Degree level in India    ? £3 /hr? who ya gonna use?

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 04:54:44 pm »

I hate my mobile phone however in todays world in my job I can't live without one unless everyone else packs them in.

Take if from me circlip if you have water pouring through your ceiling you will take the plumber you can get hold of SWMBO will see to that.

As to calls whilst on holiday I have two lines on my phone 1 business and 1 xd. Business line goes on call divert and friends and family can still get hold of me.

Still hate them though.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Tom Eccles

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 06:56:57 pm »

With regard to Justboatonics' point about costs. I can understand the view that personnel costs would be cheaper in India but I have doubts about labour costs being significantly lower in the U.S.A
Although having said that I am aware that there are a number of online shopping and data handling facilities in the U.S that are run within privately operated prisons.....can it be???? :police: :police: :police: :angel:

Clegg
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.