Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incompetence?  (Read 4826 times)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Incompetence?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 10:35:09 pm »

Something for you all to think about...

So you all have bank accounts?... have you tried talking directly with your bank on the phone?..

Certain big banks have out-sourced (Cheaper) their telephone banking to places like India.. where someone will ask you all sorts of questions..
Date of birth?
Address?
Credit card number? (if you are calling about that)
Secret question?

.. and you are worried about personal information falling in to the wrong hands?

I wonder how secure India's computer systems are?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 11:20:33 pm »

not very, however dont use cordless phones to buy things on credit cards, if someone has an airband scanner they can tune into the tranmissions of your phone between it and the base station
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 11:42:01 pm »

With regard to Justboatonics' point about costs. I can understand the view that personnel costs would be cheaper in India but I have doubts about labour costs being significantly lower in the U.S.A
Although having said that I am aware that there are a number of online shopping and data handling facilities in the U.S that are run within privately operated prisons.....can it be???? :police: :police: :police: :angel:

Clegg

Its a question of unit costs; In India and the like, the labour cost is a lot cheaper hence the savings. In the US, its probably more to do with processing vast amounts of data results in cheaper processing costs. Plus of course, there nothing to stop US companies using low paid migrant workers from India (as the American Bank Im currently working for have done) or Central America etc.

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 12:20:18 pm »

..... and there are reports of more 'data losses'. Nine NHS trusts have 'lost' patients' data. There's an item on BBC News Online.
I think it's now reasonable to assume that NONE of our personal information is secure in this country.
..... and we all know who's to blame.
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 02:20:22 am »

..... and we all know who's to blame.

IMHO
I think the culture of cost cutting, market forces, and the lack of morale and general malaise in the Civil Service, outsourcing, privatisation and rot in the public sector (leading us to where we are todiay) has been going on for longer than the last 10 years. I think it goes back to the previous shower.

Incompetence is not the domain of Noo Labor.

It is IMHO the same philosophy that has destroyed our primary and secondary school education, and if the tinkering continues at universities, we will loose our reputations here as well.

Health service, telecom, post, rail. OK BR was a money pit - nothing changed there then- but it was safer.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.