Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug sinks in River Clyde, Glasgow.  (Read 19227 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tug sinks in River Clyde, Glasgow.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 11:39:48 am »

Because of the size of the Tug the crane barge can lift her up to decks awash then they will put in high pressure pumps and pump out the water from the hull. Simple case of towing her to the dry dock after that. Although 3 men have passed away I would only expect the Tug to be rebuilt and put back into service. The Napoli once all the containers were removed still had a lot of bouancy in her empty fuel tanks so they pumped out all of her ballast tanks/fuel tanks and put slightly pressurised air into them and she floated without any problems. The stern is being broken up in situ by a crane barge and salvors.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »

...Hi Davie...

There were stories here on the Clyde before her accident that this year would be her last year on the Clyde as she is getting a bit too old for the Svitzer fleet...

Apart from that the salvage crew cut the top half of her mast off Today from the first monitor table up...The word is, She will be put into the shed at Scotstoun after refloating where a full inquiry will then take place...

I honestly dont think she will be put back into service at all...

...Best Regards...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 11:11:53 pm »

Probably need to start a new topic here but just how do you go about recovering a stricken vessel, Flying Phantom, MSC Napoli etc. If it's sunk and has a holes hull, how do you pump it out?

If the hull is so badly damaged that compressed air can't be used to give it some bouyancy then large rubber air bags can be used.  These will be placed inside the hull and inflated from an airline on the surface.

Airbags are used a lot in salvage and small ones are even used to tie to an item by a diver who then inflates it with some air from his regulator and sends the item off to the surface to be recovered by a boat.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 07:39:36 pm »

Is there any official indication at this stage as to how the capsize occurred?

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 05:51:30 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Colin, There is still no indication of what went wrong...The Enquiry is ongoing...The tug is to be moved to a covered Dry Dock at Scotstoun on the Clyde for further investigations...

The Salvage Plan is to lift the tug up to the surface with her decks & any hatches just above the surface & pump her out with high power pumps...She will then be towed upriver to Scotstoun...

...All The Best...Norry...

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:12 am »

...Hi Guys...

the "FLYING PHANTOM" has now been moved to KG% in Glasgow...
Here is a picture of her berthed there...
The Salvage Team are now getting ready to leave the Clyde again...
A very Sad State Indeed...

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »

Norry do you think that the tug will be operational again?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 02:25:58 pm »

Probably need to start a new topic here but just how do you go about recovering a stricken vessel, Flying Phantom, MSC Napoli etc. If it's sunk and has a holes hull, how do you pump it out?

on that note, they cork them, so that as water is pumped out water on the outside forces a seal.  as for a tug, if it was pulled over, then water will have come through a door or window, rather than a breach in the hull itself
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 09:11:23 am »

Some ofyou may wish to consider this    http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/itm129_flying-phantom-appeal.htm

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 03:11:02 pm »

MAIB report here http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Flying%20Phantom.pdf

(Link corrected - Martin)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 04:24:05 pm »

The report makes very interesting reading.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »

Apart from the tragic aspects of this incident, I take my hat off to the Pilot who, in darkness and a pea souper, attempting to place a ship alongside a berth which he could not see and confronted with the sudden loss of the bow tug in circumstances which both made his job even more difficult and caused him alarm, kept his head and completed his task.

Barry M

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 09:53:01 pm »

Interesting (if sad) reading.. thanks for the link Barry.

A number of 'errors' compounded by the weather and training / equipment.

I hope that those that oversee towing not only on the Clyde but throuought the rest of the (World) towing industry take very careful note of the report and its findings.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 11:48:39 pm »

The Charterers were incurring demurrage and thus were pushing for an early berth. One has to wonder if that had some influence on events. However, MAIB reports are not intended to apportion any blame - only to establish cause and try to avert any repetition The families of some of the casualties are pushing for a Public Inquiry which can allot blame. If they get their wish, Clydeport will feel the heat.

Barry M

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:04 am »

A very tragic story in this awful year; condolences to the families. 2008 will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. I for one will be glad to see the back of it.

With reference to the "Flying Phantom" itself, the vessel always seemed far too top heavy to me with its tall mast/funnel arrangement; in strong winds this could have caused instability.

Simon  :-\

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 02:20:57 am »

...Hi Guys...

I was given a printed copy of the Full Report on Tuesday Evening delivered to me by the Pilots Wife...

He showed his true skill by piloting "RED JASMINE"  the last mile or so upriver in very thick fog & berthing her alongside without his Bow Tug... ( He didn,t know at this time that "FLYING PHANTOM" had actually been lost)...He only learned of this after completing the passage...

As a measure of how thick the fog was, The ship passed within 50 Yards of The Braehead Shopping Centre Promenade which is on the Banks of the Clyde & you could only see the lights...Bearing in mind that this was the Largest Vessel to transit this part of the river...

Barry  M, You are spot on regarding the demurrage charges...I cant comment further on this due to Legal Reasons...

Clydeport are Shaking in their shoes & so they should be as they did not heed the recommendations made following the earlier similar type of accident involing "ABU AGILLA" in the same part of the river...

Heavy Fog is a regular occurence at this point of the River...I have passed under the Erskine Bridge & admired the construction & hieght of the bridge, Only to travel another short distance upriver where the fog was so thick that you couldn.t see the top of the mast...Then continue upriver in perfect visiability...

Rest in Peace Guys

...Best Regards... Norry...

towmaster

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30:24 pm »

>>:-( With all due respect to the people making comments about this sad incident please let us remember that there was lives lost and family's left grieving .Just supposing you were driving down a country road with no street lighting then all of sudden visability dropped to about 3mtrs and there was no white line down the middle of the road  see how long it is before you be come disorientated even at 7mph, Its OK sitting back and saying if they had done this or if they had done that it would not of happened believe me when you are faced with a situation and you have to make a split second decision even god did not make all the right ones.As for the stability of the Phantom tugs are built to the same strict stability regs as all other ships when you consider the hight and draught of a cruise ship to that of a tug the tug is a more stable vessel all to gether and the Phantom was no exception a good  and comfortable boat at sea.P.S normally a tug wont just turn over they normally pull over so far then start to fill up with water and then roll over, I remember watching a video a few years ago where a tug of similar size to the phantom was working under a aircraft carriers bow and the Carrier ran over the top of the tug and the tug rolled over on its side slid round the ships bow and popped back upright and its engine was still running this happend some where of Malta. So please let us just remember The Phantom and her crew with respect.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 11:41:09 pm »

Towmaster,

You are quite right about the stability of the Phantom but I cannot see any mention on this thread from a Mayhem member which questions the actions of her crew or treats their memory with anything but respect. If you are referring to the MAIB report this is a document which describes the events surrounding the incident in a factual manner. It cannot do anything else. If your reference is to neither of these points then you have lost me.

Regards
Barry M

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 11:52:36 pm »

...Hi Guys...
Anything that I write on this post is with the utmost respect for the families of the 3 men lost & also for the Pilot & his family whose lives have also  been turned upside down by this tragedy...

I knew all 3 men lost & I am also a close freind of the pilot who was on duty that night...

I would not write anything that would upset any of the people involved...I only want to show them my support...

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »

Svitzer and Clydeport are to be prosecuted under H&S legislation. Not before time some might say.
Barry M

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »

I've only just seen this thread. I was aboard a Spanish tug, "Red Dolphin". We were bringing Type 45 modules on barges up from Portsmouth. It was a condition of the charter that a British Masters Ticket was on board for the tows. The Spanish skipper did all the work. We had just left Glasgow with the empty barge bound back to Pompey and passed "Red Jasmine" 20 minutes before the incident. We dropped the barge off and continued on to Rotterdam and picked up barge "Atlas 400" and towed her back to Glasgow for the salvage. We stood by the salvage operation then towed FF to the east coast for scrapping.(I'd gone on leave just before departure). Am amazed it's taken this long since publication of MAIB report. Here are a few pics we took at the time.
Jerry.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »

Steve the skipper of the Phantom was a personal friend and colleague and for a while a model boater.
I do hope the facts are acted upon to stop any more family losing family members.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »

Svitzer Marine have been fined £1.7 million for H&S breaches.
Barry M

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »

Why does it take so long to bring to bring these tragedies to a decision?
The families must-have to keep reliving the nightmare while the court case drags on.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 1.384 seconds with 22 queries.