Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedline  (Read 3148 times)

DaveB

Speedline
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:37:17 pm »

Has anyone received delivery of Speedlines latest offering my mate Stan paid for the kit at Warwick in November and is still waiting
Dave

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Speedline
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »

Take it you mean the 1/16th Trent. No, though Adrian did say he would mail me when it was ready. Having previos experience with Adrian am not worried as the delay is par for the course. It will be worth waiting for though. best bet is to phone him for a update.
the delay is normal for a one man band, and there is a lot for him to sort out, and he will not let any old poop out the door.
Bit disapointed to see that the bulge around the Thruster is missing, oh well gives one a chance to put youre own stamp on the model. probably something to do with keeping the price down as the bulge would make making a plug anh hull more expensive.

colin
grumpy old XXX

Robert Davies

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:56:47 pm »

A phone call to Adrian last week, by another customer, gleaned the info that one of the subcontractors that is making the mouldings for him has gone bust. This has not jeopardised the kit or Speedline, but it can't have helped the timescale I fear.

How does this affect me? Directly? Not so much, but I am doing the electronics fit for this customer's boat so my diary has been somewhat elastic due to the delay in supply.

-Rob

edit: This customer ordered at Epic in August and is still waiting patiently - He incidentally owns and built one of Adrian's 1/12 Severns and is fully aware of the issues of doing business with Speedline - Quality gear, but the wait.....

DaveB

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 07:34:27 am »

Thanks Rob and Colin for the info my mate Stan was getting quite concerned he'd had phoned for an update but thought he was being given the runaround, i'll pass the message on not to panic, thanks again and Merry Christmas to All
Dave

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:42:24 am »

no he is not being given the run round, Adrian is a straight up guy. but he is a small "cottage "industry and is at the mercy of other manufacturers. bear with him, when he knows what is going on he will let you know.
colin
grumpy old XXX

flundle

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:35:40 pm »

Hello to everyone.
This is the first time I have posted on this site because to do so might be construed as ‘cheap advertising’ by a commercial organization but I think I had better bring you up to date with what is going on with the new Severn before my reputation is shredded beyond recovery.
Firstly, Stan did indeed pay for his Severn at Warwick but he was aware of the delays in getting it into production.  I have spoken to him several times since, we chat a lot. Stan is now a pal as much as a customer and I would hate to think that he thinks he’s been given the runaround. He is disappointed no doubt by the delay that is true but believe me, I'm trying very hard and Stan is very supportive.
He is not the only one who is waiting and I am painfully aware of this.  It is all my fault for saying it would be ready far too optimistically.
I need to start selling these kits ASAP.  This kit has cost me a fortune so far and I need to sell some so the delays are a real commercial problem for me.
One of pre-production problems I had was the fibre-glass man going out of business after just ten hulls and just proving the moulds were mine was an issue I could well have done without.
Still, I have a good supplier now so all’s well as they say.

There are two reasons for the on going delay. 
Firstly the masters for the castings were a nightmare to do and took months longer than I had planned. The reason for this was that all the handrailings (and the mast) are all castings,  you don’t have to fabricate any of them and they are all spot on scale and very detailed.  They are all cast as flat parts and so the final shape (the masters) has to be ‘developed’ by CAD and then trial and error. Masters made, moulds made, castings cast, parts bent to shape and then fitted to the kit to get everything spot on.  Too ambitious really but done now at last.

The second massive workload was the instructions which include plan, front, rear and side elevations of the Newhaven Lifeboat.  All done from scratch and all ‘as built’.  Nothing was done from RNLI drawings, this is really accurate stuff.
As many of you know, the wheelhouse is all laser-cut Perspex.  232 parts I think, all pre-cut cut perfectly to size and engraved with surface detail. Similarly, the detail parts amount to some eight sheets of laser-cut Perspex and five sheets of etched brass and stainless steel. There are about fifty castings, all centrifugally cast in Pewter, no ‘white metal blobs ‘ in this.
The kit includes a new unique twin shaft motor mount complete with cooling fans , couplings and prop shafts.  The running sets are all brass and stainless all purpose mad by George Sitek.

I am trying to produce a worlds first with this model.  There is nothing else like it.  If it all works and the kit is as popular as I hope it is going to be then the Tamar will be done the same way as well perhaps as a battleship (the Potemkin is on the cards) and we have started work on a 1/16th scale Landing Craft Mechanical (LCM3).  Some of you will have seen the USS Monitor I did this year (in between jobs?) and that has worked really well.
I hope I am bringing real quality to modelers that is simply not available anywhere else (the other manufacturers probably have more business sense)?

On top of all this, I had a visit from two VAT and Inland Revenues inspectors who had received a tip off that I was running an illegal business from home!
Well, they went away happy, (I do pay my dues) but it does make you wonder who and why people should do such a thing.
On the bright side, it did make the accountants bill worth it!

So, it’s a great kit and it will be worth the wait.

Incidentally, everyone who order on previously will be getting it at the price agreed then and that is less than it is now.

I have gone on a lot so maybe I’ll edit all this rubbish out and just say sorry for the delay, this ‘cottage’ industry is trying his best.
If anyone would like to hear how we are going from the horses mouth, call 01455 637658 or email me at a.gosling@ntlworld.com and I will do my best to answer any questions.

Happy Christmas and have a great New Years modeling.
Adrian Gosling
Speedline Models Ltd.

banjo

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 10:21:18 pm »

All the Best of Luck Adrian,

I have no particular concern in this kit but I am impressed that you have got on here and told it how it is.

If only this example could be followed by others.......

Of course it cuts two ways...

In to 2008 people will be awaiting a result..

Again all the best for Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

8)

DaveB

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 08:45:18 am »

Hello Adrian
I do apologise for causing undue stress, Stan was getting wound up as he had been let down by another supplier and thought here we go again, i have spoken to him again this morning and have printed off your reply for him. He is very happy with the kits you have supplied in the past and is looking forward to the next.
Dave B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.