Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lady T  (Read 40602 times)

Captain Povey

Re: The Lady T
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2008, 12:43:16 pm »

Hi Barry, Well it looks ok to me as I can hardly get in my work room let alone find a bit of bench to work on. Cheers Graham.  O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2008, 01:10:43 pm »

Was wondering that myself. Didn't ask didn't want to look silly if wrong.

Just looked on MMM website and on one of the photos they are very clear Barry. You have put them in the wrong way round I'm afraid. :'(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2008, 03:15:14 pm »

Was wondering that myself. Didn't ask didn't want to look silly if wrong.

Just looked on MMM website and on one of the photos they are very clear Barry. You have put them in the wrong way round I'm afraid. :'(

Thanks Richard. We all have to learn and I can't think of a better site to do so. Not a problem. They are not fixed.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »

Barry

I only spotted it because I wasn't sure when I was building my Rosegarth.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »

Barrie

She look sgreat and thanks agian. Saved me from a serious error there.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 07:46:52 pm »

Portholes in the wrong way >>:-( >>:-(

Very true. Two days kicking my self :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Holes were drilled too big so have redone superstructure "walls".. :'( :'(

I promise to get it right next time so watch this space.....Oh and don't tell anyone will you :-X :-X :-X

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21:19 am »

Your secret is safe with us.   8)

I wonder how many people get other things the wrong way around. I know I do, not knowing the nautical side of things is a steep learning curve at this time of life.

If it looks good, then it must be allright.   O0

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2008, 12:18:57 pm »

I have now redone the superstructure but have not had the courage to cut the holes yet for the portholes. Got on with other things instead.
Rear companionway is almost complete, just need to get some frames for the window protectors. (Not too sure about this yet). :-\

Have put handrails around the engine room, using bits and pieces I had lying around. The staunchions were made from hammock netting frames taken from an old Corel kit. ;D

The third photo shows the various parts of the water tank, made before final assembly. TWO QUESTIONS: I assume that the water pipe feeding the engine room would have been lagged, even in the early 20th century. How do I do it? and What should I use? :-\ :-\

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2008, 04:00:30 pm »

Have you considered a small length of bandage?. You could maybe stain it with tea.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »

Have you considered a small length of bandage?. You could maybe stain it with tea.

Ken

I like the idea. I have done similar staining on sails of period ships. I think I will give it a go. Cheers Ken.

barryfoote

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2008, 11:12:35 am »

I have now finished the water tank and installed it on the model. I used a coarse grade of rigging cord to lag the pipe in and simply varnished it with matt varnish. Hope it looks okay? :-\

Made the Exhaust pipe from differing sizes of brass tube, filled with P38 and drilled to take the two ends. A copper strap was added as a fixing point to the bulwark.

The rear companionway ports have now been finished using brass rod, filed to a square as a frame and the wire added to finish.

Time to move onto those dreaded portholes.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2008, 05:10:10 pm »

Just the job.   O0

Looking great detail

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2008, 02:24:01 pm »

I now think that I have got those portholes in the right way  :D :D. I don't mind saying they drove me dafter than usual. Also I have put on the handrails using some old brass rod I had lying around and installed the supports for the large Towbow. I have made up the main wooden doors, planking them with Lime (better sounding than Basswood)and staining them.
The two unfinished doors shown in photo two are steel doors, so have a little to do with them yet.

Damn but this is good fun ;)

barryfoote

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2008, 01:29:41 pm »

The last bit of work for a few days has been done as SWMBO is taking me to Seville for a few days tomorrow,on the new high speed train. (Really going to look at a model shop there but don't tell her).

Anyway first photo shows the towing assembly completed before painting and the third shows it in place having been painted. Middle photo shows some of the doors finished and in position.

Thats it ...No more till the end of the week,

Adios for now amigos.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2008, 01:08:56 pm »

Hello all. Back again after a short time.

Progress made includes the bridge and funnel

Firstly I cut out the parts for the bridge using 0.8mm ply and then planked it in 3mm walnut planks, glazing with plastic from a Christmas cracker box. This took some time as care was important to get evenly sized planks. I started to put the whole thing together but got interupted by the cat, who likes to pop in and keep an eye on me from time to time.

Anyway got the structure together and made up a bench, including tea mug made from brass rod. Much more to do on it but am looking for some brass strip of between 2 and 3 mm wide to make the slides for the doors.

The funnel comes next and posed quite a problem. I could buy a kit for it for 15 quid plus postage but was determined to have a go myself. Happened to have some plumbers plastic pipe of the right diameter and so I cut it to length and used a combination of thin tape and pva wood glue to imitate the plating and rivets. It is coming along and I am reasonably pleased. Have to finish it and paint it up before I decide whether to keep it or not. Watch this space.

Until next time,

Barry

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2008, 01:40:59 pm »

Hi Barry Deans Marine do 6mm wide brass strip 0.8mm, 0.6mm and 0.4mm thick if its any help  O0

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/51/sort/3a/page/1

Deans new web site is worth looking at.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2008, 01:56:01 pm »

Thanks Richard but I have 6 mm brass but not the means to cut it.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2008, 02:50:17 pm »

Barry,

Have you tried painting the plastic pipe? Some of that type of pipe doesn't like taking paint. I usually give it good rub down with fine paper. This helps, but there is still some that the paint won't stick to.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2008, 03:08:23 pm »

Barry,

Have you tried painting the plastic pipe? Some of that type of pipe doesn't like taking paint. I usually give it good rub down with fine paper. This helps, but there is still some that the paint won't stick to.

Barrie
Yes Barrie,

I rubbed it down well first and have now given it a good coat of Humbroll matt white as an undercoat. That has stuck well. Top coat of matt black now and and all fine at the moment.

Proteus

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2008, 04:54:26 pm »

Looking good Barry. I use a razor saw blade to cut most small brass bits as it gives a square cut and edge, the blades last a long time , I use the same one for wood.

Fredy

barryfoote

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2008, 05:43:55 pm »

Looking good Barry. I use a razor saw blade to cut most small brass bits as it gives a square cut and edge, the blades last a long time , I use the same one for wood.

Fredy
[/quoteFredy,
Unfortunately the brass I want to cut is about 20 cm long and I want to cut it length ways. I suppose a circular saw might do it but it seems an expensive way to go about it.

Barry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2008, 12:26:48 am »

You could try to find a local engineering shop with on of those big mechanical hacksaws. Or some other means of cutting heavy guage metal.

Just a thought.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2008, 10:24:12 am »

Okay well I sorted out the brass cutting. I got a friend to do it with some fancy snips...The bridge house and funnel are now nearing completetion, but not too happy with the brasswork on the housing. Having said that I have been spoiled by HS93's incredible standard...
I finished the funnel off using brass rod for the ladders and brass tubing for the steam pipe and whistle. Barriew, as you can see the paint stayed where it was meant to. Still have a bit to do with the bridge housing as I want to put two working lights inside, which have been made but I need to run the wiring, hiding it from view or disguising it as best I can, before bringing it out underneath the housing ready for connection.

I really am enjoying this bit of the build,
Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2008, 11:50:07 am »

That's really nice, Barry. She's looking good.

The topping out section is obviously bringing you pleasure. It's great, working on this section, isn't it ?  (something to show SWMBO for all the efforts, and to be proud of)

All the best

ken

footskijunior

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »

Looking very nice from over here in Grenada!!!

Portholes open from the inside..... everything secure on inside.

keep it up!

Mark.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.