Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lady T  (Read 40605 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Lady T
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »

What a fantastic build you're doing, keep up the good work  O0

Voyager

barryfoote

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2008, 03:10:38 pm »

Thanks for that Voyager.

Hope to post a couple more pics over the weekend.

barryfoote

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »

I have now finished the funnell off but not secured it to the model yet as it may get in the way while I am running electrics. More added to the bridge area, steps and railings. Steps made from walnut planks and rails made from thin brass tubing and even thinner brass rod. The rails around the ladder ways was done using lime, cut to size and superglued in place.

I have added a wall light to the cabin and a handlight on the desk, both working wirh LED's.

Also managed to finish off the telegraph (Many thanks to BUNKERBARGE for his photos), and install the portside navigation light. This was very fiddly and involved running the wiring behind a small bulhead to keep it out of sight.

Getting there now!! :D

barryfoote

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2008, 06:31:15 pm »

A little more progress.

Flying bridge now under construction using 3 mm by .5 mm walnutt planks and the lifebelts made from Artesania Latina fittings. I removed the awful rope and replaced them with proper stuff.....Not too far off sea trials......Better think about painting the hull...

Barry

tugmad

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2008, 06:35:52 pm »

Hi footski    funny to chat on another site,  but if you are going to keep the funnell black and red try it out at 1/4..1/4..1/2  black,red ,black from the top down and it may look more balanced, sorry mate just pocking my nose in.

George  aka model tugman.

barryfoote

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2008, 08:37:53 pm »

Hi footski    funny to chat on another site,  but if you are going to keep the funnell black and red try it out at 1/4..1/4..1/2  black,red ,black from the top down and it may look more balanced, sorry mate just pocking my nose in.

George  aka model tugman.

Never thought of that as I was following the plan, but now you mention it.......Will have a look at that......You keep poking your nose in or I will never learn and get better..
Cheers,

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2008, 04:31:18 pm »

More photos of the bridge area which is almost complete (apart from 2 more telegraphs), together with a couple of shots of the main mast.

I had a problem running the wires for the lighting so have cut out the back of the mast to run the cables and I have made the aerial rack from brass to give it more strength to take the cables which will be disguised along the rack to the other mast and from there down into the hull somehow...

I am looking forward to the weathering of her, albeit with a little trepidation....Now did I say something about painting the hull and maybe altering the funnels colour scheme.......Just not got the time at the moment...Enjoying myself too much...

OMK

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2008, 05:11:40 pm »

Looking better all the time, comrad Footskivitch -- almost as eye catching as Mrs. Footski herself.

By the by, I've got loads of wire - ideal for internal electrics - if any use to you.

barryfoote

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2008, 06:03:14 pm »

PMK,

Cheers amigo, Just don't tell the wife or it will go to her head!!!

Thanks for the offer but I have plenty of wiring. That is one thing we can get over here.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »

Looking better all the time, comrad Footskivitch -- almost as eye catching as Mrs. Footski herself.

By the by, I've got loads of wire - ideal for internal electrics - if any use to you.

Just had a thought.....How do you know what Mrs Footski looks like??? ???

OMK

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »

>>Just had a thought.....How do you know what Mrs Footski looks like???

She's standing next to you in your avatar photo on the tugboat forum.
I think she's the reason you always look so happy.

barryfoote

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2008, 06:30:53 pm »

I think she's the reason you always look so happy.

PMK,
You could be right....She really does look after me bless her...

Captain Povey

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2008, 11:01:34 pm »

Hi Footski, She is looking great, Just a quick question. Who is the crewman and where did you get him? Is he a George turner special? OK thats 2 questions but I have had a beer or two. Cheers Graham

barryfoote

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:51 am »

Hi Footski, She is looking great, Just a quick question. Who is the crewman and where did you get him? Is he a George turner special? OK thats 2 questions but I have had a beer or two. Cheers Graham

Graham,

The crewman is a rather pale looking skipper!!!!! ::)

You are right though he is a George Turner product, ordered direct from them. Very good quality.

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2008, 11:31:15 am »

Looking good Barry.  I'd admire craft in timber. Very realistic.   O0

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2008, 09:34:10 am »

No more photos as I have been fiddling with the electrics this week. Finally got the smoke unit installed thanks to Stavros, speaker and steam whistle all installed.

That is it though for a while as Mrs Footski is taking me up to the cold north of Galicia for a well earned weeks break. Hasta Lluego mis amigos.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:09 pm »

A little more progress this week although it is a little slow. I have put in the ribs on the port bulwark, prior to final painting and fitting of the handail. Also started planking the foredeck overlay, using lime planks of .3mm by 5mm.

Earlier in the week I finished the 2 masts, complete with lights and some of the rigging. Unfortunately I blew the stern light by connecting it to a battery without the resistor........A steep learning curve, but enjoying every moment of it. The worst part is waiting for glue or paint to dry...More when the rail and planking are finished..

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »

Just a quick update as the foredeck has now been finished and glued into place. I finished it with a coat of matt varnish before sanding, followed by another coat after sanding and a final coat before a very fine sanding. This gives a smooth finish and flattens the "caulking" down well.

barryfoote

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2008, 08:45:33 am »

I have now attached the handrail to the hull, using lime planks, plenty of water and clamps. The rear decking has been installed after planking with lime strip and cord. Also made the Rope Crate, which is removeable allowing access to the rudder post. I should be geting on with the hull painting before long.

Whilst on this subject I am a little confused. I was going to spray the hull but in 1890, I would think that hulls were painted by brush, so I have decided to give that way a try. I was thinking of using a fan type brush to reduce the number of visible brush lines...Watch this space..

Barry

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2008, 09:04:56 am »

DON'T DO IT FOOTSKI!!! It would be a shame if you brushed the paint on after all that hard work you've done  >>:-( The way I see it, the brush strokes would be out of scale using a regular size brush! Honestly I'm not going mad here lol!!! It would be like me painting my house with a broom  ???

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2008, 11:01:04 am »

I agree with Voyager. Such a lovely piece of work needs a good finish.

You can always experiment after with temporary 'Ageing' afterwards, and clean it off it doesn't look right. Once the brush has struck, the surface will never be recoverable. I hand tarted up my Red pelican and have always regretted it.

Have a cool drink in the sun and 'mull it over'   8)

Cheers...ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:32 am »

Okay guys, you win.....I will bow to your knowledge and experience...

What a great site.  Without it I would have made untold errors. With it I seem to have a half decent build on the go.

Thanks Very Much

Tom Eccles

« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2008, 07:46:23 pm »

Hey Barry,

I have been keeping an eye on your build---WOW!---She looks great!

Now then, sorry to break into your build thread but I think this is relevent.

SWMBO and her idiot husband (me) wil be in Benalmadena for a couple of weeks at the end of September. If it is of any help I will be happy to bring a few bits over with me.
P.M. me nearer the time when we can arrange things.

With any luck I will be able to see the lady on the water.

Cheers
Tom

barryfoote

« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2008, 12:00:22 am »

Tom,

Most obliging of you....Even if I need nothing it would be good to get together and talk boats....

We will speak nearer the time.

A good place Benalmadena. SWMBO and I go regularly to the harbour for days out.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »

THE PAINTING BEGINS....

After much debate between brushing, aerosol cans or airbrush, I finally got this rather nerve racking part started. Dismissed the idea of hand painting, thanks to Voyager and Tug Kenny. Had loads of trouble trying to get an airbrush and the one I did find was no better than a kids toy costing over 30 euros, so I obtained some aerosols, primer, gloss red and matt black. (May have to drop hints for an airbrush from the UK at Xmas)

Hull prepared and sprayed with three coats of primer as per Stavros's instructions.......Now the patient bit, waiting a day or so for it to dry properly before moving onto the second stage....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.