Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Navy's Civil War Ironclads  (Read 1457 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Old Navy's Civil War Ironclads
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:01:49 am »

For those interested of you interested in American Civil War history that occurred a few years ago on the other side of the pond, here's a video I came across today that features The Old Navy's ironclad models that were featured during the March 9th dedication of the Mariners' Museum Monitor Center in Newport News, VA.

A fellow member on RC Groups got me interested again in the subject several months ago Cheesebox On A Raft when I was thinking about what would be a good scratch building project for someone of my limited skills.  I had tried ordering the Dumas kit early last year but it had been discontinued & I was not interested in going back to eBay.

I've since been in contact with Steve Lund of Old Navy who's been extremely helpful with information & plans that I would never have found on my own.  Steve & Bill Hathaway's book Modeling Civil War Ironclad Ships is an excellent primer for anyone interested in modeling ships of this era.  Bill's black powder firing cannon is well worth the (free) download.  O0

Interest appears to be growing as we already have a few here on the RCG forum planning to build ironclads next year in several scales.  With the Dumas kit hard to find or being priced out of reach - a recent eBay listing ended at $360 without the reserve being met! - am certain more scratch building will result.

I plan to stay with 1/72 scale & build USS Tecumseh & CSS Tennessee who faced each other in Mobile Bay.  This should make my neighbors happy to see something besides a rising sun ensign on the local waterways... 

Chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMnEmFW0XPk
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old Navy's Civil War Ironclads
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:13:05 am »

Tiger,

Care to join me in building a fighting fleet to terrorize the locals here in Shanghai?  We may not be able to use black powder, but airsoft should work!  O0

Plans & patterns are currently in route & I've already got a nice source for laser-cutting that's going to cut out a few kits.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.